Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1099151 times)

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #600 on: April 03, 2013, 03:54:48 PM »
Flew WN on erev pesach BWI to DTW. 98 minute delay on tarmac at BWI. One of my bags did not show up in DTW, it was delivered to me 12:30 am that night (during the seder). That bag contained all of my yom tov clothing, so I had to go buy a new suit and shirts and ties right before yom tov.
I emailed WN on chol hamoed. They responded with instructions to mail them the receipts from my purchases of new clothing and they will consider reimbursing. And they issued me three $100 vouchers, one for each of the passengers on my itinerary.
How optimistic should I be that they'll reimburse me for the new clothes?

Offline SearchGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 10, 2013, 04:59:11 PM »
Did anyone get compensation from QF?

Offline EliteMavin

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Delta silver medallion, Hilton Gold
« Reply #602 on: April 10, 2013, 10:16:01 PM »
Just a quick compensation story:
was flying from the Midwest to NY last minute. The cheapest ticket was $300+ OW (the night before) instead, I booked a ticket to Porto Rico (SJU) with a stopover in JFK for $180. The flight to NY was delayed for two hours, but after I left the airport (jfk) i learned that I had "missed" my connection and was rescheduled to fly to sju the next afternoon. In the morning, I called DL and told that because of the delay I no longer have an interest (or need) in flying to sju.
to compensate for the loss I was refunded the jfk-sju portion with a credit (full refund to my credit card) of $140!

Offline marko

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 11, 2013, 07:35:58 PM »
Quick story- I flew from LA to TLV with a stopover in JFK. I made my ticket from LAX to JFK separate and for some ridiculous reason they made me check my bags only to JFK, then I had to get them and recheck them in JFK. To make long story short, when I got to JFK my bags were delayed. I spoke to baggage claim and told them to forward them straight to TLV. We arrived in TLV and our bag never came. When we got back home we filed a claim with AA claiming our suitcase to be worth 4k. I was told they cover a max of 3k, but I figured you never know. About 2 weeks ago I got a call that AA had resolved the claim and that a check was sent out in the mail. A couple days before I got the check I got a phone call from some dude in Queens who tells me he has my bag. I managed to get it back and lo and behold all my clothes were there! About two days later I got a check from AA for $4,000. So got all my stuff back +$4,000. Not a bad deal for a little bit of hassle.   :)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 11, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
Quick story- I flew from LA to TLV with a stopover in JFK. I made my ticket from LAX to JFK separate and for some ridiculous reason they made me check my bags only to JFK, then I had to get them and recheck them in JFK. To make long story short, when I got to JFK my bags were delayed. I spoke to baggage claim and told them to forward them straight to TLV. We arrived in TLV and our bag never came. When we got back home we filed a claim with AA claiming our suitcase to be worth 4k. I was told they cover a max of 3k, but I figured you never know. About 2 weeks ago I got a call that AA had resolved the claim and that a check was sent out in the mail. A couple days before I got the check I got a phone call from some dude in Queens who tells me he has my bag. I managed to get it back and lo and behold all my clothes were there! About two days later I got a check from AA for $4,000. So got all my stuff back +$4,000. Not a bad deal for a little bit of hassle.   :)

Wow, awesome!
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 11, 2013, 07:48:24 PM »
nice! btw, who was this "dude" what was he doing with your case? was he from AA?

Offline marko

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 11, 2013, 07:52:13 PM »
nope.
He said is Aunt picked up the suitcase by mistake and never bothered to return it to AA, or look for a name.
He said she asked him to bring it to Salvation Army and he found a card with our name on it and called me.

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: April 11, 2013, 07:53:51 PM »
nope.
He said is Aunt picked up the suitcase by mistake and never bothered to return it to AA, or look for a name.
He said she asked him to bring it to Salvation Army and he found a card with our name on it and called me.
I love those Tzadikim on other people's cheshbon  :)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: April 11, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »
nope.

Wow, that is crazy. Thankfully he called.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #609 on: April 18, 2013, 08:55:43 PM »
Wow, that is crazy. Thankfully he called.

+1

That's why I always put a full sheet of paper in each suitcase with my name, address, and phone number in huge letters.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #610 on: April 18, 2013, 09:01:25 PM »
+1

That's why I always put a full sheet of paper in each suitcase with my name, address, and phone number in huge letters.

My mom does that, too...  :D
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 20, 2013, 11:59:38 PM »
Flew WN on erev pesach BWI to DTW. 98 minute delay on tarmac at BWI. One of my bags did not show up in DTW, it was delivered to me 12:30 am that night (during the seder). That bag contained all of my yom tov clothing, so I had to go buy a new suit and shirts and ties right before yom tov.
I emailed WN on chol hamoed. They responded with instructions to mail them the receipts from my purchases of new clothing and they will consider reimbursing. And they issued me three $100 vouchers, one for each of the passengers on my itinerary.
How optimistic should I be that they'll reimburse me for the new clothes?
Update:
I received a check from southwest for the full amount (over $500) I spent on new clothing on erev pesach. Plus they gave me $300 in vouchers as mentioned earlier.

Offline daganster

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
« Reply #612 on: April 21, 2013, 09:08:05 AM »
On my AA flight to CUN my seat cushion wasn't attached to the seat and it moved very frequently which was a bit annoying. When I returned home I emailed AA praising them about main cabin extra etc. and mentioned the inconvenience, and they rewarded me with 4k AA miles.

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: April 21, 2013, 09:12:43 AM »
I need some some help from you guys. On my return from CUN AA broke my suit case, but I only realized when I got home. I filed a claim with my travelers insurance company, but they want me to get a letter from a suit case repair shop that my suit case isn't repairable the issue is that I don't think I'll get around to it. Should I now file a claim with AA? Does anyone know how to get this letter?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #614 on: April 21, 2013, 09:28:39 AM »
I need some some help from you guys. On my return from CUN AA broke my suit case, but I only realized when I got home. I filed a claim with my travelers insurance company, but they want me to get a letter from a suit case repair shop that my suit case isn't repairable the issue is that I don't think I'll get around to it. Should I now file a claim with AA? Does anyone know how to get this letter?

A bit OT - but you pay for a travelers insurance co? Which one? How much?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #615 on: April 21, 2013, 11:20:40 AM »
A bit OT - but you pay for a travelers insurance co? Which one? How much?
I use http://www.insuremytrip.com/ for some of my trips. I like them because they work with so many insurance companies that they could customize the policy to your needs i.e. you could tell them how much you want to insure, what you want to insure and if you want primary insurance or not etc. I've compared their prices to other companies in the past and found them to be  a lot cheaper, but that doesn't mean much because you would have to compare apples to apples which is difficult because every policy is different. All in all I've found their prices to be good and it's easy to find the policy you want without calling a dozen of companies.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 21, 2013, 11:24:09 AM »
I use http://www.insuremytrip.com/ for some of my trips. I like them because they work with so many insurance companies that they could customize the policy to your needs i.e. you could tell them how much you want to insure, what you want to insure and if you want primary insurance or not etc. I've compared their prices to other companies in the past and found them to be  a lot cheaper, but that doesn't mean much because you would have to compare apples to apples which is difficult because every policy is different. All in all I've found their prices to be good and it's easy to find the policy you want without calling a dozen of companies.

And you find it to be worth it?

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 21, 2013, 12:46:30 PM »
And you find it to be worth it?
How do you determine that? It gives you some piece of mind if G-d forbid something happens you have insurance. If there's a strike now in Israel and you can't leave they'll reimburse you for your expenses. I'v used that once when my flight was cancelled do to a storm. It really depends on many factors e.g. if your going on a skiing trip to Switzerland you may wanna consider insurance in case someone brakes their leg. If you have many stopovers/ legs and there's the likelihood that your bag many not come with you etc. I don't always find it worth it, but sometimes I like the peace of mind.

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #618 on: April 21, 2013, 04:12:54 PM »
How do you determine that? It gives you some piece of mind if G-d forbid something happens you have insurance. If there's a strike now in Israel and you can't leave they'll reimburse you for your expenses. I'v used that once when my flight was cancelled do to a storm. It really depends on many factors e.g. if your going on a skiing trip to Switzerland you may wanna consider insurance in case someone brakes their leg. If you have many stopovers/ legs and there's the likelihood that your bag many not come with you etc. I don't always find it worth it, but sometimes I like the peace of mind.
What do they add to standard credit card coverage?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Let3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 21, 2013, 04:23:36 PM »
Well I used it for one when returning to ny from il for yom tov- cc company said only cover when flying away- not "home" ie; have I be like couple 100 miles from home or so.. And my address in card is in ny obviously..
Does cc cover medical too though?