Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1098863 times)

Offline Bailbino

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #960 on: November 28, 2013, 02:52:12 PM »
-1 IME took US Air 1-2 days to respond to my email.
post your email so we can all learn
You pants look like pajamas ~ Mr Ming

Offline ayman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Simplify Shopping
« Reply #961 on: November 29, 2013, 03:36:34 AM »
This is what they replied to my first email within a couple of days:

Dear ayman:
Thank you for writing to Customer Relations. I’m so sorry your experience with US was disappointing.

It is relatively easy to provide good customer service when an operation is running smoothly. We know the test of quality service occurs when we are faced with flight irregularities and problems such as you experienced. We are truly sorry for the cancelation of Flight 710 and the inconvenience it caused. Your frustration with our failure to operate this flight as scheduled is understandable, especially since you were counting on having a connecting flight out of Zurich. It is not our intent to create difficulties for our customers and we make every effort to avoid flight interruptions.

I’m also sorry the inflight entertainment system wasn’t working properly on your flight to Tel Aviv. There’s no doubt your flight would have been more enjoyable with working equipment. I’ve notified our Maintenance Department to ensure they fix the problem.

Additionally, I apologize for your dissatisfaction of our meal options and that we did not have a meal selection that was both Kosher and dairy free. We know how important our inflight meal service is to your overall opinion of US Airways. Your comments matter to US and will be shared with our Catering Manager.

To reiterate my apology for the In Flight Entertainment not operating properly and so you will try US again, I’ve authorized one $75.00 Electronic Travel With US Voucher(s) (E-TUV). Your E-TUV is valid toward the purchase of travel on US Airways. You can’t book with the E-TUV online, and you must redeem it within one year from the date of this correspondence. When you’re ready to book, please call Reservations at 800-428-4322 and provide the E-TUV code listed below. You will not be charged the customary ticketing fee. In addition, please take a moment to read the terms and conditions listed below to receive the full benefit of this compensation.

The E-TUV code is:
ayman    xxxxxx    $75.00

ayman, feedback such as yours affords us the opportunity to learn where and how we can improve our service not only to meet our customers’ expectations, but to exceed those expectations. Given the privilege of serving you again on US Airways, we look forward to providing you with a more satisfying travel experience.

Sincerely,

Andrea Ewer
Representative, Customer Relations
US Airways Corporate Office
Buy discounted gift cards from me.
www.simplifyshopping.com

Offline ayman

• View Profile
    • Simplify Shopping
« Reply #962 on: November 29, 2013, 03:39:15 AM »
This is what I wrote back. Didn't get anymore for it but did get two phone calls within two days of writing them back.
BTW the phone number they called from was 480 517-9230

Hi Andrea,
Thank you for the quick response. As we are traveling I have spotty connection availability and so I could not respond earlier.

While I understand that there arises situations that challenge an airlines ability to provide the regular services that are expected in the industry, that is not an excuse for poor service, especially as we are traveling on our honeymoon. The trip started off with promise as we got upgraded to First class on our flight from LGA to PHL. But it became quite a frustrating experience thereafter. What my wife and I experienced was just poor service with US Airways. Even with having our flight canceled the inflight entertainment and the meals were both regular parts of the flight that we were rebooked onto. The inflight entertainment system should have been working on the direct flight, it was not affected by the plane change. Additionally it is unacceptable that US Airways did not provide a dairy-free kosher meal. US Airways provides kosher meals for it's customers that due to religious reasons have strict dietary laws that prevent them from eating the regular meals the other passengers receive. To not have a dairy-free kosher meal is the equivalent to not having a dairy-free option for all passengers since the regular meals were not an option for me. The $75 voucher I feel is inadequate compensation for what my wife and I had go through just for these two incidents.

Then there is the matter that we are on our honeymoon and when we asked an agent to notate that on our ticket, she did so but said it was up to the gate agent to upgrade us to Envoy. When we arrived at the gate the gate agent informed us that there was no availability in Envoy and that they had "checked" and all Envoy seats were sold and that every Envoy passenger was there. The agent had not checked the list and there were in fact seats available. I know this because when I called US Airways phone number I was offered the option to buy an Upgrade for $1000 if I wanted to. The gate agent should have just said that she was not interested in upgrading us instead of lying about the availability.

Furthermore, When we arrived in TLV and I opened my suitcase, I found that US Airways had broken it. It was a brand new suitbag, which itself was worth more than the $75 voucher that I have received.

I am requesting that my wife and I be upgraded to Envoy for our trip home. Additionally I'd like a $200 voucher for both myself and my wife. We would like to continue to fly US Airways in the future. The on board service (ie: flight attendants) was great and we truly appreciated that aspect of our travel. Even though our overall flight experience to Israel was terrible, we are asking US Airways to make it up to us on our way home and finish off our honeymoon nicely and happily.
www.simplifyshopping.com

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #963 on: November 29, 2013, 08:32:16 AM »
And no response yet for me.

Online AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #964 on: December 02, 2013, 11:34:35 AM »
This is what I wrote back. Didn't get anymore for it but did get two phone calls within two days of writing them back.

Hi Andrea,
Thank you for the quick response. As we are traveling I have spotty connection availability and so I could not respond earlier.

While I understand that there arises situations that challenge an airlines ability to provide the regular services that are expected in the industry, that is not an excuse for poor service, especially as we are traveling on our honeymoon. The trip started off with promise as we got upgraded to First class on our flight from LGA to PHL. But it became quite a frustrating experience thereafter. What my wife and I experienced was just poor service with US Airways. Even with having our flight canceled the inflight entertainment and the meals were both regular parts of the flight that we were rebooked onto. The inflight entertainment system should have been working on the direct flight, it was not affected by the plane change. Additionally it is unacceptable that US Airways did not provide a dairy-free kosher meal. US Airways provides kosher meals for it's customers that due to religious reasons have strict dietary laws that prevent them from eating the regular meals the other passengers receive. To not have a dairy-free kosher meal is the equivalent to not having a dairy-free option for all passengers since the regular meals were not an option for me. The $75 voucher I feel is inadequate compensation for what my wife and I had go through just for these two incidents.

Then there is the matter that we are on our honeymoon and when we asked an agent to notate that on our ticket, she did so but said it was up to the gate agent to upgrade us to Envoy. When we arrived at the gate the gate agent informed us that there was no availability in Envoy and that they had "checked" and all Envoy seats were sold and that every Envoy passenger was there. The agent had not checked the list and there were in fact seats available. I know this because when I called US Airways phone number I was offered the option to buy an Upgrade for $1000 if I wanted to. The gate agent should have just said that she was not interested in upgrading us instead of lying about the availability.

Furthermore, When we arrived in TLV and I opened my suitcase, I found that US Airways had broken it. It was a brand new suitbag, which itself was worth more than the $75 voucher that I have received.

I am requesting that my wife and I be upgraded to Envoy for our trip home. Additionally I'd like a $200 voucher for both myself and my wife. We would like to continue to fly US Airways in the future. The on board service (ie: flight attendants) was great and we truly appreciated that aspect of our travel. Even though our overall flight experience to Israel was terrible, we are asking US Airways to make it up to us on our way home and finish off our honeymoon nicely and happily.

While some of your gripes may be legitimate, IMO you whiffed in a big way with respect to a couple:

I think it's amazing you not only feel entitled to a "Kosher" meal, but also to a "Kosher" AND " Dairy-free" meal.

Considering airlines aren't obligated to offer a "Kosher" meal at all, your sense of entitlement is egregiously misplaced.

Further, to make a stink about not being given a complimentary $1000 upgrade, even when there may have in fact been seats available for sale, and even when it may have been your honeymoon, again warrants reconsideration.  And, what you felt may have been a lie, very possibly was the agent doing her job.

It is the Airline's job to maximize its revenue. On my flight alone, at least two or three people plunked down the $945 upgrade fee. Giving you and your wife a complimentary upgrade very well may have robbed US Airways of nearly $2,000 in revenue. Further, complimentary upgrades are tightly controlled (if offered outside the context of IRROPS at all), and it's only in the rarest of circumstances that a GA will a) have the authority to upgrade you, and b) have the inclination to do so.  Just because you feel she should have had the former, doesn't mean she had the latter. It's very likely she may have to account for that upgrade to her supervisor after you boarded.

Last, in the pecking order, I'm sorry to say, but you come last. Even after non-revs -- a number of whom paid the upgrade fee to get into Envoy on my flight.  When weighing who to upgrade, a GA is going to give the nod 9/10 times to a "paying" non-rev who is a co-worker, instead no-name honeymoon flyer who paid $345 for his/her ticket.

/$0.02

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline MC

• View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 02, 2013, 11:48:48 AM »
Airline: DELTA
Flight: JFK - LAX
Class: Economy (award ticket)
Incident: Missed my flight due to an airline rep directing me to the wrong line
Compensation: 6700 Miles

Initially they only awarded me 3700, but I wrote back (see email below) and they awarded me an additional 3000.

Dear Ms. ***,

RE: Case Number ***

Thank you for your reply e-mail.  On behalf of Delta Air Lines, I am
genuinely sorry you were dissatisfied with my previous response.

After reading your comments, I realize that you were not pleased with
the compensatory bonus miles provided by us.  Please allow me to explain
that the gesture, we extended was not meant to place a value on your
experience; rather it was an attempt to make amends for your
disappointment with our service. 

Further, appreciating your SkyMiles membership status, I have made an
exception.  I have added additional 3,000 bonus miles to your SkyMiles
account.  Please allow three business days for the miles to appear.

Ms. ***, I thank you again, for taking the time in writing to us and
expressing your concerns with my response and the resolution.  As our
valued SkyMiles member, your business is important to us and given the
opportunity of serving you in the future, I am confident Delta will not
only meet but exceed your expectations.

Sincerely,

Vincent M. Keith
Coordinator, Corporate Customer Care
Delta Air Lines

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
While I do appreciate and accept the gesture I sincerely hope that you
realize that it does not nearly cover the aggravation and additional
expenses that I (or any other passenger in the same situation) incurred.

Thank you,

Offline ayman

• View Profile
    • Simplify Shopping
« Reply #966 on: December 02, 2013, 06:48:19 PM »
While some of your gripes may be legitimate, IMO you whiffed in a big way with respect to a couple:

I think it's amazing you not only feel entitled to a "Kosher" meal, but also to a "Kosher" AND " Dairy-free" meal.

Considering airlines aren't obligated to offer a "Kosher" meal at all, your sense of entitlement is egregiously misplaced.

Further, to make a stink about not being given a complimentary $1000 upgrade, even when there may have in fact been seats available for sale, and even when it may have been your honeymoon, again warrants reconsideration.  And, what you felt may have been a lie, very possibly was the agent doing her job.

It is the Airline's job to maximize its revenue. On my flight alone, at least two or three people plunked down the $945 upgrade fee. Giving you and your wife a complimentary upgrade very well may have robbed US Airways of nearly $2,000 in revenue. Further, complimentary upgrades are tightly controlled (if offered outside the context of IRROPS at all), and it's only in the rarest of circumstances that a GA will a) have the authority to upgrade you, and b) have the inclination to do so.  Just because you feel she should have had the former, doesn't mean she had the latter. It's very likely she may have to account for that upgrade to her supervisor after you boarded.

Last, in the pecking order, I'm sorry to say, but you come last. Even after non-revs -- a number of whom paid the upgrade fee to get into Envoy on my flight.  When weighing who to upgrade, a GA is going to give the nod 9/10 times to a "paying" non-rev who is a co-worker, instead no-name honeymoon flyer who paid $345 for his/her ticket.

/$0.02

Fair enough regarding the honeymoon bit, wasn't expecting much from that per se, was adding it to a group of other complaints and hoping for dome sympathy.
W regards to the KSML, they may not be required (wasn't aware of that, learn new things every day) but they did offer it for all their pax who for religion or any other reason request it. They had two options for the breakfast and should have ensured that one of them is dairy-free.
Why aren't they required to provide KSML from a legal standpoint? Aren't they required to provide meals for flights above a certain amount? If i cant eat what they offer because of religious reasons, aren't they required to comply with my needs?
www.simplifyshopping.com

Offline KidOOO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 04, 2013, 02:13:08 AM »
Airline: United
Flight: EWR-TLV
Class: BusinessFirst (award ticket)
Incident: Originally Booked economy, upgraded to BusinessFirst and hour before flight, got bumbed back to economy at gate.
Compensation: Nothing, and it's taking forever to get the $150 change fee (me and my wife) refunded. very annoying

Finally got a cal from corporate office, after a bit back and forth she sent me 2  (for me and the wife) $150 certificates for travel on united

Offline shmulyf15

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 05, 2013, 11:11:25 AM »
Airline: Delta
Flight: MIA-LGA
Class: Business (Last Minute Upgrade)
Incident: TSA held up my luggage got it 24hrs later
Compensation: $430 +$100 Voucher

Offline E-MAN

• View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 05, 2013, 11:15:37 AM »
Airline: Delta
Flight: MIA-LGA
Class: Business (Last Minute Upgrade)
Incident: TSA held up my luggage got it 24hrs later
Compensation: $430 +$100 Voucher
How did you get so much?

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 05, 2013, 11:29:05 AM »
Ha.

I totally forgot already that I emailed Doug Parker about my incident with US Airways besides for filing a regular claim.
I called up regarding my claim and was told that they are waiting for a response from Doug Parker.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 05, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »

Hi Andrea,

How about a meal thats kosher, dairy free, but serves wholeweat buns. And demand ice cream vanilla flavour for desert   

And when you ask for the upgrade and 200 dollars, you forgot to ask for a free cellphone rental while in Israel

Come on....

Offline shmulyf15

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 05, 2013, 11:49:25 AM »
How did you get so much?

Arrived at LGA friday morning and explained them that i need things for shabbos.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: December 05, 2013, 10:46:23 PM »
How about a meal thats kosher, dairy free, but serves wholeweat buns. And demand ice cream vanilla flavour for desert   

And when you ask for the upgrade and 200 dollars, you forgot to ask for a free cellphone rental while in Israel

Come on....
You forgot about the filet mignon and champagne. And the car rental
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Red

• View Profile
« Reply #974 on: December 10, 2013, 05:34:50 AM »
Airline: UA
Class: Coach
Incident: 1 piece of luggage ended up in Grand Rapids instead of TLV
Compensation: $100 shopping spree for each passenger (3)

Is it possible to get more?

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: December 10, 2013, 05:40:09 AM »
Airline: UA
Incident: 1 piece of luggage ended up in Grand Rapids instead of TLV
Compensation: $100 shopping spree for each passenger (3)

Is it possible to get more?
is it lost? did it get in same day/week/month/year?

Offline Red

• View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 10, 2013, 05:53:52 AM »
is it lost? did it get in same day/week/month/year?
Not lost, sorry left out that info. We just got in now, the luggage should arrive tomorrow. This is a one day allowance for "emergency" clothing replacement.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
« Reply #977 on: December 19, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »
Airline: US Airways
Flight: LGA-PHL-TLV
Incident: Packages arrived over 24 hours late. Missed the connection.

Any help?
Thanks

Update: I went on a shopping spree and was reimbursed for the necessary items. More than ticket cost.  :)
Now waiting for the insurance to cover the other ticket.

Offline nocknock

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: December 22, 2013, 06:37:40 PM »
What could I get?

VIE toKRK first flight was canceld second one returned because it couldn't land in KRK due to fog,  so the airline put us on to a bus what took 7 hours (after flight cancelled etc.). Basiccly our whole trip got ruined we were sceduled to land 10 am we got to KRK 16 hours latter.

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #979 on: December 29, 2013, 02:22:48 AM »
CX YVR - JFK in F.
No KSML / Botched seat assignments.

(Booked tickets with AA)

OneWorld gave me 20K AA miles back. (10K per person)
I remember when a coke was a nickel, and you could buy VRs in OD.