Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1099072 times)

Offline DoGo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #1180 on: February 16, 2014, 07:58:20 PM »
What's with the hostility? You're being abusive.

I think it's a legitimate complaint.

I've seen plenty of times where airlines hold a flight while waiting for connecting passengers. United didn't.
I've seen plenty of times where they let connecting passengers deplane first. United didn't.

I accepted the routing assuming that United had my back. They didn't.
I agree with you. Maybe write an email to corporate (on website).
And if this thread hurts anyone, then as mentioned don't open it.

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: February 16, 2014, 08:19:09 PM »
I agree with you. Maybe write an email to corporate (on website).
And if this thread hurts anyone, then as mentioned don't open it.
+100000. When a Airline offers a flight with a connection they don't add a star *Be aware you may miss your connections. Airlines usually hold on connection plains. Nothing wrong asking a compensation for that.

And yes, whoever gets hurt from this thread should just not follow it. And whoever wants is more then welcome to open a new thread with  T&C.

And as far as killing it, this is not ganna kill anything (at least for someone having a serious complaint) The airlines compensate customers not because they feel sorry.... More because they know about competition, they don't want you to fly next time their competition. And for that reason, compensation is here to stay, at least until all airlines will finally merge to 1 big airline  :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 08:32:51 PM by ilherman »
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #1182 on: February 16, 2014, 09:05:20 PM »
Please advise.

Basically, my connection in IAD was scheduled to land at 4:14 and landed at 4:21. My flight home took off at 4:50. I never had a chance even though I ran like a demon out of hell to get from C concourse to A. It was a joke.

Now I am sitting in the United Club at IAD until the 9:50pm flight home all because United routed my connection so impossibly tight.

Can I get anything for this? Who do I talk to? What should I ask for? How should I ask for it?
+1
If they are both United flights (why would they even have Concourse A and C?),
then they obviously see that his plane landed at 4:21.
I'd definitely think that they'd communicate.
I've had stewardesses tell me to get off fast and run and they've also told the next flight to expect me soon.
It's in their interests to have passengers on earlier flights, as they can still sell the other, later seats.

So, it's a matter of 15-20 minutes until he appears and is seated on the flight.
Unless there's a major Food Court/restroom delay, he's likely to arrive at the new gate by 4:41.
Why wouldn't they wait for him to appear?
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1183 on: February 16, 2014, 09:06:46 PM »
If they are both United flights (why would they even have Concourse A and C?),
then they obviously see that his plane landed at 4:21.
I'd definitely think that they'd communicate.
I've had stewardesses tell me to get off fast and run and they've also told the next flight to expect me soon.

You realize that by holding a plane for a single passenger for 10 mins, they're risking the possible connections of ~200 people, right?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Chief Rabbi of New York

• View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: February 16, 2014, 10:06:14 PM »
You didn't have to take those flights. There is always a chance a flight gets delayed.

I agree with Ergel. People who complain just to get compensation for every little thing is like the boy who cried wolf. At some point the airlines will just say say "screw you", go fly another airline. Kind of like Delta did with that Rabbi. I bet that starts happening soon.

do u know everything about the case with Delta and the rabbi? i think not. just because they oversold every single flight and the rabbi got bumped all the time, thats their fault for overselling. rabbi complained alot? waiting a few hrs for luggage, being on the tarmac for a few hrs and not being told anything, hmm r these stupid complaints???
Show Some Respect for Me, I am The Chief Rabbi of New York :)

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: February 16, 2014, 10:12:20 PM »
You realize that by holding a plane for a single passenger for 10 mins, they're risking the possible connections of ~200 people, right?
I agree that there shouldn't be a 10 minute delay for the other passengers, however, that flight left at 4:50.

His part one flight landed at 4:14.
Even a 16 minute transfer would get him to the next by 4:30. Still a 20 minute gap until the plane actually left the gate at 4:50.
(although I'm not sure if plane only landed at 4:14 or if Freddie was able to actually deplane at 4:14  -- maybe he'll tell us when he lands.)
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 16, 2014, 11:30:14 PM »
I agree that there shouldn't be a 10 minute delay for the other passengers, however, that flight left at 4:50.

His part one flight landed at 4:14.
Even a 16 minute transfer would get him to the next by 4:30. Still a 20 minute gap until the plane actually left the gate at 4:50.
(although I'm not sure if plane only landed at 4:14 or if Freddie was able to actually deplane at 4:14  -- maybe he'll tell us when he lands.)

Well, I finally landed at PIT, 12 hours since I left SAT.

They landed at 4:14, but they kakked around for another ten minutes with the jet bridge. In the end, they decided not to bring it and we took the stairs right onto the tarmac. The point is, they knew I was on there. I even spoke to the gate agents at the C gate where I deplaned. I ran my tuchus off but no luck, that darn shuttle from C to A was just too slow. I got to my gate at 4:50, exactly take off time.

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #1187 on: February 17, 2014, 05:01:42 AM »
Re: everyone who's coming down so hard on Freddie...

Every airline has what they call MCT - minimum connection time. It varies from airport to airport, and domestic/international - but it's a published number of minutes, it's not up for speculation. I'm not sure what the MCT was in Freddie's case, as I'm not at a computer now to look it up, but if the MCT is 30 minutes, and United sold him an itinerary with a connection time of 36 minutes, then United is responsible. Period. You say he could have chosen other flights? You say he'd be making 200 other people risk their connections? That's United's problem, not his. If it's too hard for them to pull it together, then let them publish an MCT of 45 or 60 minutes, like they do in other cases. If they publish an MCT of 20 or 30 minutes, then it's THEIR responsibility to work it out.

Now, if the MCT is indeed more than 36 minutes... well, then, Freddie should take it up with Expedia for selling him a ticket with an illegal routing.

#my2cents

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1188 on: February 17, 2014, 08:52:30 AM »
United IS responsible... To put him on the next flight.

MCT is just that, the absolute minimum. It's not a guarantee that you'll make your connection.

Nor is it a guarantee that they will hold a plane filled with 200 pax at the gate, and thereby risk their respective connections, so one late arriving pax can make the flight.

There are super complex algorithms used by airlines in these scenarios. These aren't decisions made off the cuff.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:02:36 AM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 17, 2014, 09:04:19 AM »

MCT is just that, the absolute minimum. It's not a guarantee that you'll make your connection.

Nor is it a guarantee that they will hold a plane filled with 200 pax at the gate, and thereby risk their respective connections, so one late arriving pax can make the flight.

There are super complex algorithms used by airlines in these scenarios. These aren't decisions made on the cuff.
just wondering: In these complex algorithms, do they take into account that he has to get from Concourse C to Concourse A
in that amount of time? (i.e. running speed is not a factor here, nor the gate proximity -- these are sep buildings with an Aerotrain.)
Or are the gate arrivals and departures decided after the connecting flights/tickets are scheduled and booked?

Offline DoGo

• View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: February 17, 2014, 10:11:40 AM »
Well yes after he's messed up, but I wouldn't think its in their best interest to set things up like that..

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 17, 2014, 10:20:47 AM »
Wow! I sparked a debate! Thank you to my supporters. (KIT to my detractors!  ;D)

BTW what's up with the United complaints web form. They send no email verification. It makes it hard to believe they even got it or care about it.

Offline moshiach1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: February 17, 2014, 11:03:19 AM »
Flew on those delta glitch  tickets , flight was delayed almost 2 hours because plane arrived late due to weather.  First segment in business class seat was jammed and didn't recline. Next,   baby was sleeping in car seat,  they made me wake him up and stow car seat because not "faa approved" car seat. 

Next segment the plane video system was malfunctioning and no one had sound.

Should I look for compensation?

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 17, 2014, 11:15:57 AM »
YES, YES, YES, :)

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #1194 on: February 17, 2014, 11:53:37 AM »
YES, YES, YES, :)

Your greed is nauseating.

Flew on those delta glitch  tickets , flight was delayed almost 2 hours because plane arrived late due to weather.  First segment in business class seat was jammed and didn't recline. Next,   baby was sleeping in car seat,  they made me wake him up and stow car seat because not "faa approved" car seat. 

Next segment the plane video system was malfunctioning and no one had sound.

Should I look for compensation?

Weather, no; busted seat, yes; car seat, no; malfunctioning IFE, yes.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 17, 2014, 12:05:50 PM »

There are super complex algorithms used by airlines in these scenarios. These aren't decisions made off the cuff.

I'm not saying that United "owes" him a smooth transition; all I was doing was defending him from those who thought it was his fault that he chose an itinerary with a short connection - to which I said, it's not his fault. It's up to the airline to publish routings that they can reasonably keep to, especially when they know they are prone to delays.

Now, as for what remedial action to take... yes, you're right, the contract of carriage may dictate that they only have to get him onto the next flight. But it also doesn't require the airline to provide a working IFE (heck, many planes don't even have IFE) or a kosher meal, and yet you hear all the time about people getting compensated for lack of those. Why? Because when an airline causes a certain level of aggravation/discomfort to a passenger, the industry standard is for them to provide something to "soften the blow", even if they don't owe it to the pax by the letter of the law.

Now, Freddie's situation has definitely crossed that threshold, to where it qualifies as "significant enough" to deserve compensation. Now, your only taynah is that it's his fault for not choosing a better itinerary... to which I answer: no, it's not. If UA publishes a certain MCT, it means they are comfortable with it - comfortable enough, anyway, that a passenger can rely on their calculations and buy the ticket, and not have to worry about making his own cheshbonos.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 17, 2014, 12:22:57 PM »
Your greed is nauseating.

Weather, no; busted seat, yes; car seat, no; malfunctioning IFE, yes.
I am sorry. I hope you feel better by now.

On a side note, your post is a good start for the new "Airline compensation thread with T&C"

Offline DoGo

• View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 17, 2014, 02:20:09 PM »
Kudos Moshebatchy, you have that "middle line" head on your shoulders.
ilherman, a bit to the left
AJK, a bit to the right

just a synopsis of the past 2 pages (and more)

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: February 17, 2014, 06:04:03 PM »
On a side note, your post is a good start for the new "Airline compensation thread with T&C"

I can't seem to figure out what the hell you're spewing about (and frankly, it wouldn't shock me if you didn't know either). If anyone's Google Translate has an ilhermanspeak-to-English function, please help me out.

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #1199 on: February 17, 2014, 06:09:36 PM »
I can't seem to figure out what the hell you're spewing about (and frankly, it wouldn't shock me if you didn't know either). If anyone's Google Translate has an ilhermanspeak-to-English function, please help me out.
dude, i can read anything... pm me the problem :D
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.