Poll

Paying people to come shill on DDF is an effective advertising strategy?

Yes,
Maybe. I could see why the stores would think so.
NO WAY!! I see through this every time.

Author Topic: Paying people to come shill on DDF is an effective advertising strategy?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline yfr bachur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
I'm wondering this, especially after the acusations flying round the Bingo 5T thread accusing one and all of being shills for one store or the other

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
I haven't followed the Bingo 5T thread, though that is a common accusation on frum forums (possibly all forums, but I only know what I know). Back in the day of the Jewish blogosphere, there were a number of anonymous music blogs. Anyone who wrote positively about a performer was automatically "called out" for being related to them, and any criticisms showed they "must be" related to the competition.

In reality, we "shill" for what we like. My first posts on here would make me seem like someone getting commissions from Motorola. Sure, there are times if it's true, but often it's a way of not having to engage the argument. Like the only way you could possibly not agree with my opinion is if you have a stake in opposing it.

Offline lover of truth

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Even if they are not be paid neccesarily, in any relatively small community alot of people have some sort of inerest in the business. whether his family member or close friend is a vendor etc

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
I haven't followed the Bingo 5T thread, though that is a common accusation on frum forums (possibly all forums, but I only know what I know). Back in the day of the Jewish blogosphere, there were a number of anonymous music blogs. Anyone who wrote positively about a performer was automatically "called out" for being related to them, and any criticisms showed they "must be" related to the competition.

In reality, we "shill" for what we like. My first posts on here would make me seem like someone getting commissions from Motorola. Sure, there are times if it's true, but often it's a way of not having to engage the argument. Like the only way you could possibly not agree with my opinion is if you have a stake in opposing it.
When I was a smartphone forum mod, those accusations were very common. Everyone was an undisclosed manufacturer employee.

Worked out well for me as some were indeed.  ;D
One Samsung employee started sending me prototype phones that were never released.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Just A Jew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
When I was a smartphone forum mod, those accusations were very common. Everyone was an undisclosed manufacturer employee.

One Samsung employee started sending me prototype phones that were never released.

Get any discounts at Bingo lately?  ;D
Freedom of the press is alive at the US Mint.
- Gallagher

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
It's a huge market. Chinese sellers pay big bucks for things like SD comments.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline yfr bachur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

It makes sense for anyone involved in a particular field to have an interest in forums that discuss the field. (for example, without linking to competing sites  ;) the amount of pilots, airline and aircraft manufacturing employees active on airliner forums...)
My question is more does it make sense for frum co's to actively be pursuing this, paid, on this site, as an ad strategy. and what would be the point??
I sort of understand the small start-up business that does this from time to time just to sort of create a larger web presence then they actually have... (Yerushalmi Kugels looking at you...), but why would a large co invest the time for the relatively few people on these forums??
In other words, are the opinions formed on these forums really have a real world impact to the point that companies are trying to influence it...?

You were a SP forum mod?
Learn new things every day...

Offline Just A Jew

• View Profile
It makes sense for anyone involved in a particular field to have an interest in forums that discuss the field. (for example, without linking to competing sites  ;) the amount of pilots, airline and aircraft manufacturing employees active on airliner forums...)
My question is more does it make sense for frum co's to actively be pursuing this, paid, on this site, as an ad strategy. and what would be the point??
I sort of understand the small start-up business that does this from time to time just to sort of create a larger web presence then they actually have... (Yerushalmi Kugels looking at you...), but why would a large co invest the time for the relatively few people on these forums??
In other words, are the opinions formed on these forums really have a real world impact to the point that companies are trying to influence it...?

You were a SP forum mod?

Depending on the size of the company, the specific product, and the cost of the employee, it may be worth it. With those things in mind, there's no way Bingo will get enough customers from DDF to justify paying someone to shill for them vs just buying a DDMS ad.
- Gallagher

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
Depending on the size of the company, the specific product, and the cost of the employee, it may be worth it. With those things in mind, there's no way Bingo will get enough customers from DDF to justify paying someone to shill for them vs just buying a DDMS ad.
Paying ≠ money
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Just A Jew

• View Profile
Paying ≠ money

Fair, but the point remains. Additionally, ads don't usually upset people and you can tightly control the message. Comping some guy on his grocery bill to be your mouthpiece on an internet forum comes with the risk that he'll do more harm than good.
- Gallagher

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus

You were a SP forum mod?
There's an order of magnitude more lurkers (and Google searchers) than posters.

Also, employees will generally stick up for their company.

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You were a SP forum mod?
Was very active there back in the aughts.
Even got a nice wedding present from one poster there. :)

Offline LongTimeLurker

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
I guess it just means DDF has officially made it
It's rampant on reddit

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Happens to be in this case I don't know why everyone is harping on him. He's excited to get some competition and cheaper prices and I don't know why people don't like that.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
Happens to be in this case I don't know why everyone is harping on him. He's excited to get some competition and cheaper prices and I don't know why people don't like that.
you must be related to him

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
In our communities, there are generally only one or two degrees of separation between any two parties. Which is why I get accused of shilling for both sides

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
you must be related to him
Aren't we all?

Offline dasmo801

• View Profile
Fair, but the point remains. Additionally, ads don't usually upset people and you can tightly control the message. Comping some guy on his grocery bill to be your mouthpiece on an internet forum comes with the risk that he'll do more harm than good.

But an ad is an ad. It's Bingo telling me how great they are. I know they think they're great. Very different when its a random fellow shopper who seems quite knowledgeable about the various supermarkets telling me how great they are.   

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
But an ad is an ad. It's Bingo telling me how great they are. I know they think they're great. Very different when its a random fellow shopper who seems quite knowledgeable about the various supermarkets telling me how great they are.
exactly. that's why people pay for amazon reviews

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
In our community anyone supporting a business is automatically a shill, but anyone peddling a 25% return investment is as trustworthy as they come.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)