Author Topic: Controversy At 770: Gabbaim Demand $5 Fee To Collect Tzedakah Inside Building  (Read 4080 times)

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
The rising numbers of panhandlers at the main shul of 770 Eastern Parkway in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, has led the ones in charge to instate a new rule: Pay for your stay.

Charity collectors who roam around the large shul, its lobby or entrance throughout the day are now asked to pay a symbolic $5 a day from what they collect.

One outraged panhandler has told the New York Post. “Poor people collecting money have to pay? It’s like extortion.”
Advertise On YWN »

And some congregants like real estate owner Mendel Drizin refused to believe it. “It’s a lie from top to bottom!” he was quoted as saying. “These rabbis are not poor people – they don’t need the $5 for people to beg inside.”

The policy was created by R’ Avrohom Holtzberg, one of the 5 gabboim elected to the shul by Crown Heights residents (the role of Congregation Lubavitch Inc. as administrators of the shul is being contested in court by the Chabad establishment).

While Holtzberg was not reachable for comment, two of his colleagues told COLlive.com the move was more than justified.

“Many of the tzedaka collectors are not unemployed people,” one of them said, asking to remain anonymous as financials was Holtzberg’s responsibility.

“What we have here is an open shul that anyone could come, spend the whole day here and collect for himself or an institution, and we are left paying the maintenance and electricity bills each month,” he said.

He added that “what is being publicized is not honest.”

Another gabbai, also asked not to be named, said: “They get free shelter, coffee, cake, a chance to raise money – $5 is not a percentage.”

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/General+News/116292/Controversy-At-770%3A-Gabbaim-Demand-%245-Fee-To-Collect-Tzedakah-Inside-Building.html

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Personally, I thought that the article in the NY Post was unjustifiably spun out in favor of the pan-handlers. I think the proof is in the pudding. Notwithstanding the "fee," its impossible to daven shachris in 770 w/o being approached by at least 10 shnorers.

Furthermore, this seems like a reasonable way to collect membership fees from those that worship at 770, many of whom never buy seats or otherwise pay for the facility maintenance. In this way, the beggars are deputized to collect money for the shul.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
I say throw them out.
many of them are not unfortunate souls who fell on hard times, they're career panhandlers who are living better than a lot of the people they're collecting from.

Offline YudiG

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
if it was free im sure plenty more people would come in and stay for the day making use of the free perks such as food, drink and shelter. it's unfortunate that this is what the gabbaim had to due, but the alternative i'm sure would be worse.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
If you want, make a due diligence to see who is honest, and who not.

Charging to come in (even if there is cake coffee, etc), is not a jewish way to go about.

Lots of places you get 10 shnorrers a day during davenen.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
I think they should just assur them from coming into shuls/Beis midrashim all together. It's bitul torah and issues with hefsek.
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline ShmuelY

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
I think we should start a thread about funniest schnorer experiences... I think it could be really interesting... :)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
I think we should start a thread about funniest schnorer experiences... I think it could be really interesting... :)
When someone comes over to me and says Tzedaka? I say "no thanks" jks (well maybe sometimes I do but only if its the crazy ones, and then they look at me like I am crazier than them
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ShmuelY

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
lol

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
I think something has to be done with certain collectors. Some people just simply take advantage of the kindness of K"Y. To single some out there is this guy that stands outside KD and Pizza Time in Flatbush collecting for a desperately needed (sometimesits heart, brain, leg or whatever he can think of) surgery. People unknowing the phoniness write him $200 checks. Can't stand it.
Then theres that group of Russians that all they do is mumble "good shabbos" with smashed hats and they manage to travel EVERYWHERE (Monsey, Brooklyn, 5 Towns).argghh. GET A JOB!!

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
My brother to a shnorrer: sorry, I don't have money...

Shnorrer: you don't? Get a job !

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
I don't like to judge people, but what irritates me, is that I give usually well above average, and some people just say, "maybe give more...", or, "last year you gave more..."

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
I don't like to judge people, but what irritates me, is that I give usually well above average, and some people just say, "maybe give more...", or, "last year you gave more..."
+1
One time I gave $1 and then got asked what she can buy for shabbos with a dollar..the audacity  :o

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Gave a guy $10 who came to my door a few nights ago, 30 seconds later another guy comes to my door and I say let me guess if I give you something I'll get another knock in 30 seconds?  He says, don't worry there's just 3 more guys after me :P

So am I a bad person for giving him nothing?  He proceeded to ring my doorbell for the next 5 minutes :P
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline dirah

• View Profile
Gave a guy $10 who came to my door a few nights ago, 30 seconds later another guy comes to my door and I say let me guess if I give you something I'll get another knock in 30 seconds?  He says, don't worry there's just 3 more guys after me :P
So am I a bad person for giving him nothing?  He proceeded to ring my doorbell for the next 5 minutes :P
Reminds me of the time when a meshulach knocked on my front door. I ended up giving him a nice sum.
The next night, the door knocked again, and standing there was another Meshulach. It was just as I was on the way out to Mariv, so I asked my wife to handle it, and scooted out to get to Shule in time. And who do you think I saw waiting at the end of my driveway?

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
Reminds me of the time when a meshulach knocked on my front door. I ended up giving him a nice sum.
The next night, the door knocked again, and standing there was another Meshulach. It was just as I was on the way out to Mariv, so I asked my wife to handle it, and scooted out to get to Shule in time. And who do you think I saw waiting at the end of my driveway?
Flaming bag of poop?
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline momo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

I say throw them out.
many of them are not unfortunate souls who fell on hard times, they're career panhandlers who are living better than a lot of the people they're collecting from.
Yeah sure they are rolling in dough! They have so much money they do not know what to do with it ::)

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
Yeah sure they are rolling in dough! They have so much money they do not know what to do with it ::)
No one said theyre rolling in dough. But it is undeniable that there are quite a few that are taking advantage of peoples kindness.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
I know of 2 shnorrers that were niftar and one had a few $100k worth of cash on him, and the other had loads of buildings on his name.

Still miSofek I give. I believe most of them don't do it for the sport.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
I go out a couple times a year to the steakhouse here in CLE.  It seems like every time the collectors are the ones filling the tables here.

I understand they need to eat, but do they really need a $50 dinner?  It seems the business is a bit too profitable...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.