Author Topic: The Rolls Must Be Hamotzi, But The Milk Can Be Cholov Stam  (Read 97021 times)

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Rolls Must Be Hamotzi, But The Milk Can Be Cholov Stam
« Reply #320 on: May 01, 2023, 10:22:42 AM »
where is the letter recently posted from new square hechsher?
Just got the following on a Kashrus whatsapp group. I am sure it will clear up some opinions regarding Pizza for CV.  ;D

Offline dovy2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 01, 2023, 01:28:22 PM »
Not so recent.. but whatever

Offline Unusual

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 10, 2024, 04:57:43 PM »
I take umbrage at the misconception brought up constantly that Reb Moshe was a da'as yochid on milk from companies in the US.
1. Reb Moshe was not mechadesh the heter. It was an accepted psak before he arrived. Rabbonim were meikel, albeit never wrote Teshuvos.
2. Rav Henkin, the Chazon Ish, Reb Aaron Kotler, and Reb Eliezer Silver all held it was muttar. These were basically the greatest Poskim America had at the time. One Krasna Rav, who nullified his opinion with his Hakdama, does not outweigh that.
3. The real question is, who argued on Reb Moshe? Which Poskim wrote Teshuvos against him? Anyone of international caliber like him? Did Reb Yonasan write anything? Did the Minchas Yitzchok? One Chelkas Yaakov makes the da'as yochid the other way.

I know I will be attacked with the thousands of people who are makpid. But none of those are poskim, let alone of international caliber.

But I do think that on airlines, where no other food is available, society should take care of those who would not eat CS.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 10, 2024, 05:17:39 PM »
I take umbrage at the misconception brought up constantly that Reb Moshe was a da'as yochid on milk from companies in the US.
1. Reb Moshe was not mechadesh the heter. It was an accepted psak before he arrived. Rabbonim were meikel, albeit never wrote Teshuvos.
2. Rav Henkin, the Chazon Ish, Reb Aaron Kotler, and Reb Eliezer Silver all held it was muttar. These were basically the greatest Poskim America had at the time. One Krasna Rav, who nullified his opinion with his Hakdama, does not outweigh that.
3. The real question is, who argued on Reb Moshe? Which Poskim wrote Teshuvos against him? Anyone of international caliber like him? Did Reb Yonasan write anything? Did the Minchas Yitzchok? One Chelkas Yaakov makes the da'as yochid the other way.

I know I will be attacked with the thousands of people who are makpid. But none of those are poskim, let alone of international caliber.

But I do think that on airlines, where no other food is available, society should take care of those who would not eat CS.

Isn't the source for "who argued on Reb Moshe" the Shulchan Aruch itself?

What is your source those poskim held it was muttar absent teshuvos? Did they qualify it?

The fact that people practiced that way means nothing. Many Yidden sadly came to America and worked on Shabbos, that doesn't make it muttar. (not that I'm comparing CS to Shabbos, just asking on your argument)
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Unusual

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 10, 2024, 06:01:04 PM »
The Shulchan Aruch does not mention government supervision.

The poskim were mattir it to people who asked. BMG bought milk from regular companies, when Reb Aaron Kotler was in charge. In fact, the Yekkishe bochurim arranged for Chalav Yisroel from a kibbutz Hachshara in NJ. The first delivery arrived on Shabbos, leading Reb Aaron to comment sharply about those whose chumros caused them to forget basic Halacha. Reb Yankel Schiff is still alive, and he is supposedly the source of this story.

You are distorting the argument. Rabbonim were meikil, not people who worked on Shabbos. It was accepted as a דבר המותר based on Rabbonim who didn't write Teshuvos. Ba'alei Teshuva and Geirim don't know this, because they have no connection to past generations. But Reb Moshe did, and he explained the heter they relied on, in his opinion.

At the time, assering milk from the companies is like those guys who tried to claim that all eggs are ossur, because of the leghorn chicken something something. Reb Moshe refused to countenance these kinds of claims - if doros of ehrliche Yidden do something, it is itself a source lehalacha. (Reb Moshe was very consistent about this Shitta, regarding Techumin on Shabbos, covering ladies' hair with a sheitel that looks like hair, shaving beards with a machine, and what beracha to make on a pretzel)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #325 on: January 10, 2024, 06:07:08 PM »
if doros of ehrliche Yidden do something, it is itself a source lehalacha. (Reb Moshe was very consistent about this Shitta, regarding Techumin on Shabbos, covering ladies' hair with a sheitel that looks like hair, shaving beards with a machine, and what beracha to make on a pretzel)

For each of these cases, please let us know how many doros before Rav Moshe the case that he "went with this shita" was actually happening.
How many doros before were they relying on government inspections?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Unusual

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 10, 2024, 06:11:41 PM »
I don't know. I don't think I need to. Reb Moshe writes his Teshuva about the minhag, not about a new shaala.

I don't think it is something that can be quantified. It is pretty clear that Yidden cross the Williamsburg bridge on Shabbos, cover their hair with a sheitel that looks like their own, shave with a machine, and say Mezonos on a pretzel. The number of years is not really the point.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #327 on: January 10, 2024, 06:14:12 PM »

I don't think it is something that can be quantified. It is pretty clear that Yidden ..... didn't cover their hair.

FTFY
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Unusual

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 10, 2024, 06:27:50 PM »
Not for me you didn't

I am not in the habit of publicizing bad things about Jews. I just happened to have read that perek in Shemiras Halashon today, where he discusses Yeshaya Hanavi and בתוך עם טמא שפתים etc.

Offline Just A Jew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 10, 2024, 06:40:26 PM »
Not for me you didn't

I am not in the habit of publicizing bad things about Jews. I just happened to have read that perek in Shemiras Halashon today, where he discusses Yeshaya Hanavi and בתוך עם טמא שפתים etc.

You don't need to publicize it, but you don't get to rewrite history because of that.
Freedom of the press is alive at the US Mint.
- Gallagher

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 10, 2024, 06:47:39 PM »
Reb Eliezer Silver all held it was muttar.
This isn’t accurate from what I recall.

Offline Unusual

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 10, 2024, 06:59:48 PM »
You don't need to publicize it, but you don't get to rewrite history because of that.
I wasn't talking about those who ignored Halacha. People kept Halacha by covering their hair with this style wig. An ערעור on that is an ערעור on Klal Yisroel. Nothing to do with people who nebach didn't keep Halacha.

If you open a thread about the tumult against sheitlach, I have lots to say about the topic, from the Mekoros.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 10, 2024, 07:08:38 PM »
I wasn't talking about those who ignored Halacha. People kept Halacha by covering their hair with this style wig. An ערעור on that is an ערעור on Klal Yisroel. Nothing to do with people who nebach didn't keep Halacha.

If you open a thread about the tumult against sheitlach, I have lots to say about the topic, from the Mekoros.
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135455.new#new

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 10, 2024, 07:13:59 PM »
I take umbrage at the misconception

Did you really make an account just to take umbrage at chabadsker misconceptions in threads that have been quiet for months?

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 10, 2024, 07:17:31 PM »

Oy.
Did Reb Yonoson write? Of course he did! מהר״י שטייף סי׳ לד
Did the Minchas Yitchok write? Of course he did, in multiple thuvos!
In addition to, the Satmar Rov, the Tzehlimer Rov and many others who wrote.

Rav Eliezer Silver too assered, not matir.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 10, 2024, 07:26:21 PM »

You are distorting the argument. Rabbonim were meikil, not people who worked on Shabbos. It was accepted as a דבר המותר based on Rabbonim who...

... found the crucial need for it given there was no CY in the States, (Tzehlimer Rov was the first to implement CY in mass scale with the J&J), and how they viewed yiddishkeit in America at the time to be doomed.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 10, 2024, 07:39:55 PM »
Did you really make an account just to take umbrage at chabadsker misconceptions in threads that have been quiet for months?
… and another ad hominem attack duly noted

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #337 on: January 10, 2024, 07:41:55 PM »
… and another ad hominem attack duly noted
Not really. This is clearly an existing user duplicate account.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 10, 2024, 07:42:36 PM »
Not really. This is clearly an existing user duplicate account.
No, it is not.

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 10, 2024, 07:43:13 PM »
... found the crucial need for it given there was no CY in the States, (Tzehlimer Rov was the first to implement CY in mass scale with the J&J), and how they viewed yiddishkeit in America at the time to be doomed.
That is irrelevant to the question of if they held it's assur.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.