Author Topic: The Rolls Must Be Hamotzi, But The Milk Can Be Cholov Stam  (Read 94677 times)

Offline dirah

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Rolls Must Be Hamotzi, But The Milk Can Be Cholov Stam
« Reply #200 on: August 01, 2013, 08:59:53 PM »
absolutely not, certainly mirsus doesn't mean that there cannot possibly be an instance where someone would do it regardless of the fear.
It simply means that there is a strong deterent. My point was that if we witness the public outcry, the PR backlash of one of those instances it is clear that any american company would try and avoid it at all cause, hence the story backs my point quite well; that even if there isn't an overt fear of the law, there is a mirsus akin to the gemara
So you are basically saying that two things which are not equal (seeing, strong deterrence) are clearly equal.
With a handle like yours, I am afraid to argue.
But I am curious whether you read this whole thread, as a lot of the discussion last year does away with your “argument”.
As far as the Shach you quoted goes, I want to recheck it again, but it has no bearing on Flatbush Guy's or my point, which is that in Pshat in the gemara it really isn't a chidush at all it's rather poshut, and as for arguing with the shach, that wouldn't bother R' Moshe either.
Your line of thinking is just incredible.
“The Pshat in the gemara it really isn't a chidush at all it's rather poshut” … but the Shach didn’t manage to work that out.

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 01, 2013, 09:05:30 PM »
Some relevant info regarding Rav Moshes heter today: : http://oukosher.org/blog/consumer-kosher/cholov-stam-an-update-from-the-farm-and-lab/ 
http://www.hakhel.info/archivesPublicService/ChalavAkumLetter.pdf
See the email exchange with government agencies at the end of the document.
So, who should we believe?

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 01, 2013, 09:27:38 PM »
We shouldnt eat OUD mechashash cholov treifa. Nothing left to debate  :P

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 01, 2013, 09:38:13 PM »
http://www.hakhel.info/archivesPublicService/ChalavAkumLetter.pdf
See the email exchange with government agencies at the end of the document.
So, who should we believe?
Thanks for the link.  Great stuff!

Offline steeeveknowsbest

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 01, 2013, 09:56:05 PM »
So you are basically saying that two things which are not equal (seeing, strong deterrence) are clearly equal.
With a handle like yours, I am afraid to argue.
But I am curious whether you read this whole thread, as a lot of the discussion last year does away with your “argument”.Your line of thinking is just incredible.
“The Pshat in the gemara it really isn't a chidush at all it's rather poshut” … but the Shach didn’t manage to work that out.
I did read the whole thread but the majority before i learnt the sugya. Had the gemara not said clearly that "seeing" didn't always mean literally i would agree they aren't the same at all. But being that the gemara does make that distinction, i would seem clear to me (it's not a logical imperative, it's my opinion) that they are in fact equal. I obviously would simply be mevatel my personal opinion to that of the poskim, but after R' Moshe learns this way, i believe it is quite alright to say that his is the simple pshat and that the Shach is a rather mechudash pshat in the gemara.
Once again you have missed the point iv'e been making; according to R' Moshe's derech halimud and psak, cholov stam is no big chidush.

On a side point, I'm not sure if you are aware of it but many of your posts (especially those that are written in regard to halacha and hashkafa) are condescending,insulting, and overall arrogant. You certainly are much more learned than the majority of DDFers and i always enjoy your maareh makomos, but there is no call for the attitude. I'm sure your points would be better accepted if worded with the gentle ne'imus that is the way of Torah.   

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 01, 2013, 10:41:47 PM »
Quote from: steeeveknowsbest link=topic=13
On a side point, I'm not sure if you are aware of it but many of your posts (especially those that are written in regard to halacha and hashkafa) are condescending,insulting, and overall arrogant. You certainly are much more learned than the majority of DDFers and i always enjoy your maareh makomos, but there is no call for the attitude. I'm sure your points would be better accepted if worded with the gentle ne'imus that is the way of Torah.
kach hi darkah shel Torah. Oirayso hu derotach beih

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 01, 2013, 11:10:49 PM »
I did read the whole thread but the majority before i learnt the sugya. Had the gemara not said clearly that "seeing" didn't always mean literally i would agree they aren't the same at all. But being that the gemara does make that distinction, i would seem clear to me (it's not a logical imperative, it's my opinion) that they are in fact equal. I obviously would simply be mevatel my personal opinion to that of the poskim, but after R' Moshe learns this way, i believe it is quite alright to say that his is the simple pshat and that the Shach is a rather mechudash pshat in the gemara.].
Once again you have missed the point iv'e been making; according to R' Moshe's derech halimud and psak, cholov stam is no big chidush.
I am not so sure that Reb Moshe himself felt it was so Poshut.
See YD 1:47 where he explains his שיטה that "ידיעה ברורה הוא כראיה ממש", and his proofs.
Of course if he says this, this is what he holds.
But I am not sure that his Teshuvah conveys that it is so "Poshut".
As I have said numerous times throughout this thread, my purpose is not to dissuade anyone from following Reb Moshe.
It is not necessary (and would also amount to nothing) for me to say that יש על מי לסמוך.
What does bother me, and many other people on the forums, is those who present Reb Moshe as עיקר הדין, and everyone else as חומרות והידורים that כלל ישראל shouldn't need to cater to. It is beyond certain that this was not Reb Moshe's intent.
That is how this thread started - the disregard that Kosher caterers have with regards to airline meals, and the passenger just has to accept it.

When I post, it is pretty clear that I do not mean anything personal against anyone, because I do not know a single person here by name - besides Reb Dan. So, if I get carried away in the heat of the moment, I don't see it as a problem. [Especially as there are many other heated exchanges on this forum - sometimes about complete Narishkeit.] But if others here feel the same as you do and PM me, I can try to tone it down.

Offline steeeveknowsbest

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 01, 2013, 11:36:26 PM »
kach hi darkah shel Torah. Oirayso hu derotach beih
on the other hand Darcheha darchai noam v'kol nisivoseha shalom and look at what it says in Pirkei Avos about Torah Le'Kanter,

Clearly there is a balance which fits both sides of the coin. I'm not pushing a liberal, mellow let's all be friends Weltanschauung, my feeling is that when someone makes a point calmly and in your counter argument you personal attack him, his motives or his intelligence, this is not the milchama of Torah.

Besides this is a forum not a bais medrash, i don't think that the gemara style machlokes has a place here even if it is appropriate in the BM.

Offline steeeveknowsbest

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 02, 2013, 12:02:53 AM »
I am not so sure that Reb Moshe himself felt it was so Poshut.
See YD 1:47 where he explains his שיטה that "ידיעה ברורה הוא כראיה ממש", and his proofs.
Of course if he says this, this is what he holds.
But I am not sure that his Teshuvah conveys that it is so "Poshut"
R' Moshe goes as far as to say that if someone kept cholov yisroel thinking it was meIkar deDeina he doesn't even need to be matir neder because it is a mistake.
this seems to me to indicate that R' Moshe didn't really see another tzad, perhaps i'm mistaken.

When I post, it is pretty clear that I do not mean anything personal against anyone, because I do not know a single person here by name - besides Reb Dan. So, if I get carried away in the heat of the moment, I don't see it as a problem. [Especially as there are many other heated exchanges on this forum - sometimes about complete Narishkeit.] But if others here feel the same as you do and PM me, I can try to tone it down.
Not knowing someone or the fact that others do so as well does in no way give one carte blanche to treat people as they please. I guess you'll see if others feel the way i do, i don't consider myself to be overly sensitive. Thanks for considering my view though.

just FYI i personally am and have always been machmir not to eat cholov stam.

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 02, 2013, 12:18:08 AM »
R' Moshe goes as far as to say that if someone kept cholov yisroel thinking it was meIkar deDeina he doesn't even need to be matir neder because it is a mistake.
this seems to me to indicate that R' Moshe didn't really see another tzad, perhaps i'm mistaken.
This is not so.
Reb Moshe is addressing a simple - independent - issue.
Granted that one wishes to be סומך on those who are מיקל, but since he was מחמיר up until now, he might think he needs to continue being מחמיר, due to a totally separate concern - that since he did it three times, it has the status of a נדר.
As we say in התרת נדרים, any good practice done three times has the status of a נדר to some degree:
או אֵיזו הַנְהָגָה טובָה שֶׁנָּהַגְתִּי שָׁלשׁ פְּעָמִים וְלא הִתְנֵיתִי שֶׁיְּהֵא בְּלִי נֶדֶר

So Reb Moshe is clarifying - as most other Poskim hold - that when one did a certain practice three times due to a misconception, (in our case he thought that there are no Poskim who hold you can be מיקל with regards to חלב), this does not have the תוקף of a נדר.

Another famous example of this: Some Poskim say that if someone was careful to give מעשר כספים because he thought it was a דרבנן, and then he discovers that others hold that it is only a מנהג and he wants to be מיקל, he doesn't have to be concerned about הלכות נדרים, because his original conduct was based on a misconception.
Obviously, these Poskim do not mean to say that there is no Tzad to say מעשר כספים is מדרבנן.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 12:22:39 AM by dirah »

Offline steeeveknowsbest

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 02, 2013, 02:35:00 AM »
This is not so.
Reb Moshe is addressing a simple - independent - issue.
Granted that one wishes to be סומך on those who are מיקל, but since he was מחמיר up until now, he might think he needs to continue being מחמיר, due to a totally separate concern - that since he did it three times, it has the status of a נדר.
As we say in התרת נדרים, any good practice done three times has the status of a נדר to some degree:
או אֵיזו הַנְהָגָה טובָה שֶׁנָּהַגְתִּי שָׁלשׁ פְּעָמִים וְלא הִתְנֵיתִי שֶׁיְּהֵא בְּלִי נֶדֶר

So Reb Moshe is clarifying - as most other Poskim hold - that when one did a certain practice three times due to a misconception, (in our case he thought that there are no Poskim who hold you can be מיקל with regards to חלב), this does not have the תוקף of a נדר.

Another famous example of this: Some Poskim say that if someone was careful to give מעשר כספים because he thought it was a דרבנן, and then he discovers that others hold that it is only a מנהג and he wants to be מיקל, he doesn't have to be concerned about הלכות נדרים, because his original conduct was based on a misconception.
Obviously, these Poskim do not mean to say that there is no Tzad to say מעשר כספים is מדרבנן.
My understanding of the tshuva is that the misconception involved is that he thought that chalav stam is asur, which R' Moshe is saying that there isn't any issur accross the board but if there was any tzad then R' Moshe would require hatara as it would be a safek neder, I'll have to look at it again, to see if the mashmaus is like you say.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Paris Master Thread
« Reply #211 on: June 03, 2014, 11:24:39 AM »
Is there even such a thing as cholov stam outside the US?

Sure there is.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
Re: Re: Paris Master Thread
« Reply #212 on: June 03, 2014, 11:25:33 AM »
Sure there is.
Firstly pls explain, second... why the recent switch?
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 03, 2014, 11:30:26 AM »
Milk for one.
Switch?

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 03, 2014, 11:32:06 AM »
Milk for one.
Switch?
The 'heter' of cholov stam is the fact that R Moshe knew in the US that either the company wouldnt add pig milk. (or in his newer tshuva) there was cameras.. mirsus.

switch ur avatar.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 03, 2014, 11:35:21 AM »
The 'heter' of cholov stam is the fact that R Moshe knew in the US that either the company wouldnt add pig milk. (or in his newer tshuva) there was cameras.. mirsus.

switch ur avatar.

There are other countries and Rabbis who hold that the government rules are trustworthy and permit dairy as well for this reason.
I know I've eaten a Mars bar in Europe that was kosher and chalav stam. The idea def exists.

And I was messing around with Avatars at the dentist office to pass the time. :)

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 03, 2014, 12:35:41 PM »
There are other countries and Rabbis who hold that the government rules are trustworthy and permit dairy as well for this reason.
I know I've eaten a Mars bar in Europe that was kosher and chalav stam. The idea def exists.

And I was messing around with Avatars at the dentist office to pass the time. :)
Ok, had no idea this was a worldwide possibility

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 03, 2014, 12:43:03 PM »
Maybe someone who lives in Europe can chime in but that's just from my experience.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #218 on: June 03, 2014, 12:47:05 PM »
OT rant, but the best is the folks that won't trust the government for anything, but for this they trust them.

Even though the agencies themselves admit they don't even enforce that it's only cow juice...so they trust what they don't even pretend to be protecting. Never mind that in every jewish community in 2014 you can get C"Y without causing any hardship, financial or otherwise...

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 03, 2014, 12:50:17 PM »
OT rant, but the best is the folks that won't trust the government for anything, but for this they trust them.

Even though the agencies themselves admit they don't even enforce that it's only cow juice...so they trust what they don't even pretend to be protecting. Never mind that in every jewish community in 2014 you can get C"Y without causing any hardship, financial or otherwise...

I think most people in religious communities abroad drink only cholov yisroel, no?  It only comes up while travelling.   How do the agencies give hechshee approval on items unless their sure about the milk??