Author Topic: Messianism among Lubavitch  (Read 369513 times)

Offline Proisrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
Re: Messianism among Lubavitch
« Reply #1240 on: July 26, 2017, 08:10:04 AM »
I recently moved to Kiryat Shmuel in Haifa. I believe that whatever started in Tzfat has completely taken over this area of Haifa. Dozens of dozens of Lubavitch walk around with Yechi Yarmulkas and all the literature here says shlita on it. Kind of freaks me out but Chabad has done so much for world Jewry tough for me to take a stance.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: July 26, 2017, 08:28:49 AM »

... but Chabad has done so much for world Jewry tough for me to take a stance.
לא מדובשך ולא ...

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1242 on: July 26, 2017, 08:48:49 AM »
I recently moved to Kiryat Shmuel in Haifa. I believe that whatever started in Tzfat has completely taken over this area of Haifa. Dozens of dozens of Lubavitch walk around with Yechi Yarmulkas and all the literature here says shlita on it. Kind of freaks me out but Chabad has done so much for world Jewry tough for me to take a stance.
Is it that faction which did so much or are they taking advantage of or hiding behind those which did?
Having been to hundreds of Chabad Houses around the world, I can't even recall a handful where I've seen Yechi yalmulkahs.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Brian93

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: July 26, 2017, 08:51:19 AM »
לא מדובשך ולא ...
Generally speaking דובשך and the עוקצך are not the coming from the same body in this case...
But even if that were true, is it so poshut considering the crazies haven't done any real damage to klal yisroel?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1244 on: July 26, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »
Is it that faction which did so much or are they taking advantage of or hiding behind those which did?
The yellow flag contingent does make good Felafel in Tokyo and have lots of eateries in Mexico, but other than that, not much.
Chabad in Tzfas and its environs is...interesting.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: July 26, 2017, 10:04:27 AM »
The yellow flag contingent does make good Felafel in Tokyo and have lots of eateries in Mexico, but other than that, not much.
So that's what Chabad's contribution to world Jewry is all about? Restaurants?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1246 on: July 26, 2017, 10:09:51 AM »
So that's what Chabad's contribution to world Jewry is all about? Restaurants?
Didn't say that at all. But that's all I've seen worthwhile from yellow flag unofficial chabad houses across the globe :P
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1247 on: July 26, 2017, 10:14:33 AM »

Many Jewish people in Tzfas and its environs are ... interesting. I'm no sociologist or anythingist, but I'd wager the "interestingness" has more to do with Israeli culture/water/air/ptsd than Chabad or any other ideology.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: July 26, 2017, 10:14:35 AM »
What is "yellow flag"?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: July 26, 2017, 10:15:55 AM »
Many Jewish people in Tzfas and its environs are ... interesting. I'm no sociologist or anythingist, but I'd wager the "interestingness" has more to do with Israeli culture/water/air/ptsd than Chabad or any other ideology.
True.
Gotta be the water.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1251 on: July 26, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »
What is "yellow flag"?

A real yellow flag is brown. Cue aygart's "no true Scotsman"

Offline henche

• View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #1253 on: July 26, 2017, 10:25:43 AM »
What is "yellow flag"?

A "yellow flag" is a much more meaningful differentiator of "sects" within Lubavitch than any other meaningless label I've seen thrown around here.

For example R' Yoel Kahan (I was going to write that as RY"K, but that could also refer to someone else) believes the Rebbe is alive (to use his own words: "..לא יתיר ולא שמתיר" will post a link when I find it and have a moment), and that he IS moshiach (there's a famous documentary done for Israeli TV regarding "Messianism in Lubavitch" that IIRC starts off with an excerpt from an interview with his Rebbetzin, where she insists that the reporter acknowledges that she is CERTAIN that the Rebbe is Moshiach), yet he does not bear a "yellow flag" and AFAIK might be opposed to it.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: July 26, 2017, 10:31:39 AM »
Ok, I googled to see what yellow flag is, and pulled up this http://www.frumsatire.net/2013/03/12/how-to-tell-if-your-local-chabad-rabbi-believes-that-the-rebbe-is-moshiach/

... which links back to this thread on ddf, in the comments   ;D
Lol, guess somebody wants to be me.

I once asked YWN to delete comments from someone claiming to be me, but they pretty much flipped me the bird.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: July 26, 2017, 10:33:01 AM »
Didn't say that at all. But that's all I've seen worthwhile from yellow flag unofficial chabad houses across the globe :P

I'll just repost what I already said earlier in the thread
It's also easier to flat out, blanketly, denounce a whole group of people whose ideology you disagree with than to recognize what they are doing right. :)

It just happens to be, that generally speaking, the "flaggers" are amongst the most dedicated to learning and mivtzoim and "the Rebbe's inyonim" in general. Of course there are exceptions, but if you look at the average "flagger" bochur you'll find that to be the case.

I have plenty of problems with them and what they do, but I can also recognize what they do right.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: July 26, 2017, 10:37:00 AM »
It's also easier to flat out, blanketly, denounce a whole group of people whose ideology you disagree with than to recognize what they are doing right. :)

It just happens to be, that generally speaking, the "flaggers" are amongst the most dedicated to learning and mivtzoim and "the Rebbe's inyonim" in general. Of course there are exceptions, but if you look at the average "flagger" bochur you'll find that to be the case.

I have plenty of problems with them and what they do, but I can also recognize what they do right.
As one "Chabadsker" to another, this is the point in the farbrengen at which I would throw potato salad at your face.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #1257 on: July 26, 2017, 10:40:30 AM »
Ok, I googled to see what yellow flag is, and pulled up this http://www.frumsatire.net/2013/03/12/how-to-tell-if-your-local-chabad-rabbi-believes-that-the-rebbe-is-moshiach/

I wonder how the author of that article would interpret the calendar which I am involved in publishing in Crown Heights.  ;)
-- Dan

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1258 on: July 26, 2017, 10:52:03 AM »
My first time in Israel helped me understand why people hate Chabad, they be crazy there. Every overpass with a bumper sticker of the rebbe on it, is just shameful.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: July 26, 2017, 03:44:13 PM »
http://m.ynet.co.il/Articles/4993717

A link someone just sent me discussing same book. Haven't yet had a chance to watch the entire thing.
-- Dan