Author Topic: Messianism among Lubavitch  (Read 369461 times)

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
Re: Messianism among Lubavitch
« Reply #480 on: January 15, 2013, 04:53:14 PM »
Why do I think Moshe Rabeinu, The Ba'al HaTanya, The GR"A or any other Gadol any of us hold dear wouldn't approve of this thread?

Offline yare

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 15, 2013, 05:02:35 PM »
Can we please not get into a Rav Shach debate. Yare could tell you he did care for all yiden that's why he tried getting them to stop believing in kfira...
thanks for fielding that one  :P

No, I would say Aish's success is another testament to the effect of the Rebbe on klal yisroel.
(let me guess, you're gonna say that it was Aish that started the whole kiruv thing and it wasn't influenced by the Rebbe?)
you missed the point.  ones effect on diverse yidden/kiruv is not a testament to their standing as a gadol/nasi hador.   show me one place in tanach or gemara where the gadol hador was decided by who had an effect on a lot of people?     it's very nice (possibly), but i'm not sure why you think it's in any way a qualifier.   

I think he would.
joking or clueless?

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 15, 2013, 05:09:41 PM »
On a completely side note, is it discussed and well-known in Chabad circles that he was in University in Berlin, wore the Litvishe type hat, etc? When I read it, I was very pleasantly surprised. I have no doubt that its one of the reasons he was more approachable and open than other manhigai hador.

"Schneerson studied mathematics, physics and philosophy in Berlin, Germany for five semesters from mid-1928 through 1930.[24] His father-in-law, Yosef Yitzchok, paid for all the tuition expenses and helped facilitate his studies throughout."

"In 1933, Rabbi Schneerson moved to Paris, France. He studied mechanics and electrical engineering at the École spéciale des travaux publics, du bâtiment et de l'industrie (ESTP), a Grandes écoles in the Montparnasse district. He graduated in July 1937 and received a license to practice as an electrical engineer. In November 1937, he enrolled at the Sorbonne, where he studied mathematics until World War II broke out in 1939."

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 15, 2013, 05:12:37 PM »
you missed the point.  ones effect on diverse yidden/kiruv is not a testament to their standing as a gadol/nasi hador.   show me one place in tanach or gemara where the gadol hador was decided by who had an effect on a lot of people?     it's very nice (possibly), but i'm not sure why you think it's in any way a qualifier.
I think you missed the point.
The point is the Rebbe cared about, took an interest in and did what could to help every yid, especially those who needed strengthening in their yiddishkeit. The Rebbe acted like a leader, a raya mehemna -a faithful sheperd who cared for every one of his flock. that's what makes him a nosi.
The effect on multitudes of yiden is an outcome of that.

joking or clueless?
Dead serious.
That's what the rebbe was all about. Taking the klipas nogah of the world (i.e. TV, Basketball games) and using them to spread yiddishkeit.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #484 on: January 15, 2013, 05:14:53 PM »
On a completely side note, is it discussed and well-known in Chabad circles that he was in University in Berlin, wore the Litvishe type hat, etc? When I read it, I was very pleasantly surprised. I have no doubt that its one of the reasons he was more approachable and open than other manhigai hador.

Litvishe hat? What's that? What is litvish about this?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline chaimmayer

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 15, 2013, 05:15:55 PM »
The wackos are not in a position of power and do not control the shlichus operation or the chabad movement. 
They just are the majority of crown heights, control the shul, and control the beis din. Did I forget anything else?

Offline chaimmayer

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 15, 2013, 05:18:19 PM »

compare to what the freidiker wore.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 15, 2013, 05:19:55 PM »

Didn't see anything.

In the link below (I didn't read the post) is a pic. I had seen a better pic last year, but can't find it now.
http://chabadrevisited.blogspot.co.il/2010/05/inspired-by-forthcoming-book-titled.html
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:24:45 PM by Drago »

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #488 on: January 15, 2013, 05:21:07 PM »
compare to what the freidiker wore.
How is that litvish? It's a veltish hat. They say a story that a chassid from a different sect said the the Rebbe if only you wore a streimel you would have hundreds of thousands more chassidim. the Rebbe replied I care more about affecting one yeshuvnick in Israel, then making other chassidim my own.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 15, 2013, 05:41:46 PM »
A. Because we don't want a new leader, we want moshiach, and believe he will come every day as we are commanded to.
B. There is no Lubavitcher in the world who would accept upon himself to succeed the Rebbe.
C. The Rebbe became Rebbe only after a year of pleading from Chassidim worldwide.  There is no popular demand for any person to become Rebbe today.
D. Even if such a person existed the vast majority would not accept him, thus rendering it pointless.

Anyway why does a leader have to be living? We have a leader, he left behind hundreds of seforim on nigleh and chassidus, along with instructions on how to be a good Jew and love your fellow jew, and how to make this world a dwelling place for Gd, at which point moshiach's promise to the Baal Shem Tov will come true.
Dan, lets be honest.
If he had a son, he would have been the new Rebbe. Even if he wasn't as great.
I think that your answers are b'dieved in order to explain the current situation.

And this entire thread would be irrelevant.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #490 on: January 15, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
If he had a son then B C and D would likely not apply.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 15, 2013, 05:49:01 PM »

How does having a new leader preclude wanting moshiach? Didn't everyone want moshiach to come while the Rebbe was alive?

Offline Cbs

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #492 on: January 15, 2013, 05:54:52 PM »
+1

How does having a new leader preclude wanting moshiach? Didn't everyone want moshiach to come while the Rebbe was alive?
yes because the rebbe said if I'm not mistaken this is the last generation before moshiach and it's up to us and he did what he could. A new leader would mean that there's more to he can do.
In any case once everyone saw that the rebbe had no kids etc they thought this must be the end and moshiach for sure will come

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 15, 2013, 06:11:01 PM »
A. is hogwash, all jews in all generations waited for moshiach every day at least as much as chabad. They still needed and wanted to be lead-Especially the chassidim.

Offline chaimmayer

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 15, 2013, 06:19:23 PM »
They say a story that a chassid from a different sect said the the Rebbe if only you wore a streimel you would have hundreds of thousands more chassidim. the Rebbe replied I care more about affecting one yeshuvnick in Israel, then making other chassidim my own.
I thought it was because the shviger wouldn't give him the shtreimel.

Offline ganizzy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 15, 2013, 06:30:45 PM »
I thought it was because the shviger wouldn't give him the shtreimel.

the rebbe wore the reg hat before that.

thank g-d. paying for a shtreimel AND a shaitel!!! :)

we would like a rebbe to lead us, and yes there is internal issues in chabad bec there is no rebbe with a final say.
however there just isnt anyone who can fill the rebbe's position.

and btw previous rebbeim had other children that werent qualified for the role. it didnt always go to the oldest son or son in law.
specifically in the rebbes case, there was an older brother in law, and there was some talk of him taking over from the previous rebbe, but he realized the Rebbe was much more qualified and he became the Rebbe's chossid

Offline yare

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 15, 2013, 07:18:54 PM »
I think you missed the point.
The point is the Rebbe cared about, took an interest in and did what could to help every yid, especially those who needed strengthening in their yiddishkeit. The Rebbe acted like a leader, a raya mehemna -a faithful sheperd who cared for every one of his flock. that's what makes him a nosi.
The effect on multitudes of yiden is an outcome of that.
i think you, and the chabadskers (on this thread) in general, are a bit delusional about the rebbes effect on yidden.  he effected his chassidim, (as every rebbe should), and he effected many frya yidden through kiruv/shluchim.        i'm not sure why you all think that made him a leader for jewry, when most to all of frum jewry did not take him on as a leader in any form, or receive any positive effect from him.    but hey, whatever keeps you happy.

Dead serious.
That's what the rebbe was all about. Taking the klipas nogah of the world (i.e. TV, Basketball games) and using them to spread yiddishkeit.
we were talking about the baal hatanya, not the last rebbe. 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #497 on: January 15, 2013, 07:30:38 PM »
we were talking about the baal hatanya, not the last rebbe. 
Then I suggest you open a Tanya ;)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 15, 2013, 07:31:32 PM »

"Schneerson studied mathematics, physics and philosophy in Berlin, Germany for five semesters from mid-1928 through 1930.[24] His father-in-law, Yosef Yitzchok, paid for all the tuition expenses and helped facilitate his studies throughout."

"In 1933, Rabbi Schneerson moved to Paris, France. He studied mechanics and electrical engineering at the École spéciale des travaux publics, du bâtiment et de l'industrie (ESTP), a Grandes écoles in the Montparnasse district. He graduated in July 1937 and received a license to practice as an electrical engineer. In November 1937, he enrolled at the Sorbonne, where he studied mathematics until World War II broke out in 1939."

Yes.
He also worked on still classified US Navy projects during the war IIRC?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 15, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
They just are the majority of crown heights, control the shul, and control the beis din. Did I forget anything else?
Sorry but you're average crown heightser is not a wacko.  The Taliban are the wackos.