Author Topic: Messianism among Lubavitch  (Read 371677 times)

Offline Baruch

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Messianism among Lubavitch
« Reply #960 on: February 05, 2015, 10:46:07 AM »
I don't see how you can be so amendment that the Rambam CAN'T be talking about the Rebbe (not even 1 of the Tna'im? for real? There are at least 2 that are beyond debate: ואם יעמוד... מבית דויד הוגה בתורה ועוסק במצוות כדויד אביו, כפי תורה שבכתב ושבעל פה...).

כדויד אביו - Really? It's beyond debate that he was הוגה בתורה ועוסק במצוות כדויד אביו?
We can have a debate if even the Rambam fulfills that tnai!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:07:29 AM by Baruch »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #961 on: February 05, 2015, 10:46:11 AM »
I am not sure what i said disagreed with that.... Anyway i removed the name of place but you quoted it..
1 is a violation of halacha, 1 is not.
What is so hard to understand?

If you aren't willing to prove your claim TOT you've lost major points by me.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #962 on: February 05, 2015, 10:47:01 AM »
Do I have to be a Chabad guy to do the letter thing?

I would like to try it as an experiment.
Do you have to be Chabad to write a letter to the Rebbe at the Ohel?

See #5: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/07/sports/football/jets-giants-better-ways-to-spend-your-sunday.html

But I agree, if you don't do it seriously then you won't find what you're looking for.

And I'll come out and say it. I have a brother who is alive today only because of advice in Igros and I find my shidduch (albeit through a long chain reaction of events) from advice in Igros.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline JoeCha

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club, Expedia+ Silver
« Reply #963 on: February 05, 2015, 10:49:58 AM »
Do you have to be Chabad to write a letter to the Rebbe at the Ohel?

See #5: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/07/sports/football/jets-giants-better-ways-to-spend-your-sunday.html
No, im referring to inserting a letter in the igros to her an answer on a question.

Also, does it have to be a רוחניות question or I can just ask any silly question, like which airline to fly?

ETA: don't get me wrong, I'm being serious. I want to experiment. Not trying to be disrespectful.
"There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others" ― William Faulkner

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: February 05, 2015, 10:50:21 AM »
1 is a violation of halacha, 1 is not.
What is so hard to understand?

If you aren't willing to prove your claim TOT you've lost major points by me.
I apologize that i don't have a picture of something i saw once 5 years a go

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #965 on: February 05, 2015, 10:51:22 AM »
I probably shouldn't have named the place publicly with out proof... But you all admit there are some pretty crazy moshiachists, elokists etc...  so why is it so crazy that one place has that?

I could believe it but more likely it isn't a "Chabad" house. And more likely a mitzva center.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: February 05, 2015, 10:52:36 AM »
No, im referring to inserting a letter in the igros to her an answer on a question.

Also, does it have to be a רוחניות question or I can just ask any silly question, like which airline to fly?

ETA: don't get me wrong, I'm being serious. I want to experiment. Not trying to be disrespectful.
See ETA of my post you quoted.

Doesn't need to be רוחניות, but it does need to be a serious question. Many do hachanos just as they would do before a yechidos.

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: February 05, 2015, 10:53:13 AM »
I could believe it but more likely it isn't a "Chabad" house. And more likely a mitzva center.
Oh so i didn't even know there was a difference

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: February 05, 2015, 10:54:25 AM »
I apologize that i don't have a picture of something i saw once 5 years a go
I didn't ask for a picture from 5 years ago.
I asked for you to go back and snap a pic (assuming you frequent that area) to back up the claim.

Oh so i didn't even know there was a difference
Are they listed on Chabad.org?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: February 05, 2015, 10:57:12 AM »

And as for war it also means it figuratively as explained in Torah Shelemah on vayikra 21:14, par. 84.
Thanks for the Mareh Makom - I'll check it out

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: February 05, 2015, 10:57:22 AM »
So this is for any religious faith?
I had an muslim Uber driver who asked for a blessing there...

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #972 on: February 05, 2015, 11:05:04 AM »
I had an muslim Uber driver who asked for a blessing there...
To do list.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #973 on: February 05, 2015, 11:05:27 AM »
I'm not chabad, and I'm not trying to start any fights or anything, and I totally respect different opinions and ways of doing things, but, can someone repeat in a few sentences everything that happened in the last 10 pages because this thread has been moving too fast for me to read all of it especially since I also didn't read the first 55 pages because it isn't about law.

Maybe try and say it in a way that a lawyer would understand.

Thanks

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #974 on: February 05, 2015, 11:05:53 AM »

It's not a "trick" to experiment with. As many others have quoted, the idea is that you are writing to the Rebbe, seriously. How he answers, is up to him. It could be through a book of his letters or many other avenues. If it was 1987, and you heard miracle stories of the Lubavitcher Rebbe, would you write a letter to him as an "experiment?" If so, go ahead. If not, then don't do this either.

There are many stories of people who wrote letters but did not place it in the Rebbe's igros (they placed it in the Ohel, for instance), and then studied the igros only to find it directly answered them. The same is true for other parts of the Rebbe's Torah. And, as others have mentioned before, the same thing occurred when the Rebbe, and other Rabbeim, were alive and people "wrote letters" with thought, or wrote letters that did not actually get received by the Rebbe -they received answers. Sometimes written (as with R' Mendel Futerfas mentioned previously).

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #975 on: February 05, 2015, 11:07:10 AM »

Thanks
...and for a non-Jew would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: February 05, 2015, 11:07:18 AM »
I'm not chabad, and I'm not trying to start any fights or anything, and I totally respect different opinions and ways of doing things, but, can someone repeat in a few sentences everything that happened in the last 10 pages because this thread has been moving too fast for me to read all of it especially since I also didn't read the first 55 pages because it isn't about law.

Thanks
It's a long complicated topic, start from page 1 and see how far you can get.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: February 05, 2015, 11:09:05 AM »
It's not a "trick" to experiment with. As many others have quoted, the idea is that you are writing to the Rebbe, seriously. How he answers, is up to him. It could be through a book of his letters or many other avenues. If it was 1987, and you heard miracle stories of the Lubavitcher Rebbe, would you write a letter to him as an "experiment?" If so, go ahead. If not, then don't do this either.

There are many stories of people who wrote letters but did not place it in the Rebbe's igros (they placed it in the Ohel, for instance), and then studied the igros only to find it directly answered them. The same is true for other parts of the Rebbe's Torah. And, as others have mentioned before, the same thing occurred when the Rebbe, and other Rabbeim, were alive and people "wrote letters" with thought, or wrote letters that did not actually get received by the Rebbe -they received answers. Sometimes written (as with R' Mendel Futerfas mentioned previously).
Well said.
Though when you can see advice written that so perfectly pertains to your situation it's pretty mind-boggling.

But either way, the belief of a chosid is that the rebbe will find a way to answer, whether direct advice or indirectly.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #978 on: February 05, 2015, 11:13:29 AM »

If you are truly being serious, then let me advise you to go to the Ohel (you live in NY, right?) and just go say some Tehilim. Maybe instead of asking a question, you can "turn the tables" so to speak, and make a statement, such as mentioning a hachlata tova that you have taken on. That would be a nice start.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #979 on: February 05, 2015, 11:15:20 AM »
To do list.

CM, I am going next week. I will take you to the Rebbe's ohel.