Author Topic: Messianism among Lubavitch  (Read 371746 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Messianism among Lubavitch
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2012, 01:40:24 AM »
I assume you are agreeing with my line of logic?

What exactly am I agreeing to?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2012, 01:44:35 AM »
I didn't realize you (and your other family members we know) are such baalei yichus :P
+1. thats big news to me 2 ;)

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2012, 01:46:53 AM »
you know what is amazing chabbad chassidim spend a tremendous amount of time thinking about this topic and we just think about it in passing and they still cant win the argument (but their p.r. is like a fortune 500 company)
when a dog barks and you don't answer does that mean you can't win the argument?

You need to provide some argument of substance if you want to say we can't win the argument.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2012, 02:03:17 AM »
What exactly am I agreeing to?
"you know what is amazing chabbad chassidim spend a tremendous amount of time thinking about this topic and we just think about it in passing and they still cant win the argument (but their p.r. is like a fortune 500 company)"
I actually find it amazing that Jews claim to have so many brilliant scholars yet they still have not been able to disprove Christianity.   
Meaning that the argument never started when arguing with a blind opponent. Assuming that was what you were referring to when you said "For the same reason G-d's existence can't be proven beyond doubt: it would preclude b'chira." In other words the argument is futile? correct me if I am wrong.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2012, 02:31:34 AM »
This thread seems to lead nowhere.

@ avid: I found a link to apply for chabad online, and was rejected...

They also want a ssn ??!
Error message was probably more like, "Try again during sefirah". ;)

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2012, 03:02:56 AM »
@ozi: like there is: what's first the chicken or the egg, there is: what was first, chabad or the beard...

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2012, 03:48:18 AM »
@SF, I have a form you fill out that should get you elite status, but be warned, these can't be faked so it won't be easy. You gotta actualy do the challange.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:51:24 AM by Avid Reader »

Offline dirah

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2012, 03:51:58 AM »
SUMMARY:
With regards to those who attack Meshichist beliefs of Chabad as CLEARLY heretical and outside the pale of Yiddishkeit; when they are asked to provide sources to support their incendiary claims, they can't point to anything conclusive in Gemoro, Rishonim or Achronim.
They rely on "what rabbi so-and-so told me".
When the defendants are asked for sources, they have many conclusive ones.
This thread might go on and on and on, but one thing I assure you: This little fact will not change.
It hasn't changed in the eighteen years since Gimmel Tammuz, and it is not going to change on DDF.

To clarify: I don't mind that there are those who disagree with Chabad about the identity of Moshiach. In fact, I don't expect it to be otherwise. I dare say that any sane Lubavitcher would not expect otherwise.
But it is extraordinarily presumptuous, (for a lack of more appropriate words that are still polite,) to label a whole segment of Frum Jewry as heretics, based on feelings which have no foundation.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 04:36:50 AM by dirah »

Offline dirah

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2012, 03:55:31 AM »
I am a direct descendant of the Abarbanel hence my mesorah is that moshiach can come from the dead. 
Wow, that makes us tenth cousins, or something.
Who would have thought that I would discover Mishpocha on DDF!

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2012, 04:03:06 AM »
I didn't realize you (and your other family members we know) are such baalei yichus :P

+1, nice surprise.

Offline shmuelb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2012, 07:39:23 AM »
I have many friends who are Chabad, meshichists and non and I have had great Chabad experiences.

Without getting into the question of if Moshiach could come from the deceased, I present the view of many in the non-Chabad world.

There is a famous vort from a Godol of the last Dor, he asked how can Moshiach come in this dor? If he has a knitted Kippa, the Charedi will not accept him, if he has a down-hat, the Chassidim won't accept him etc. He explained from Esther - ain Esther magedes moladta... that everyone thought she was from their nation (Gemara). So too, he explained, that when Moshiach will come, everyone will accept him, everyone will connect to him and respect him.

If you are Chabad, you can claim that all religous Jews held of the Rebbe as a Moshiach or you can say that those who don't are not Jews, they don't count. I will not answer you either way, I think the vort stands. Maybe the Rebbe was a great man, but non-Chabad members will say that the reality is, he was not accepted by most of the dor. That is one simple reason why they do not consider him to BE Moshiach. If he comes back then maybe everyone will think he is Moshiach but the same can be said for any Gadol or lehavdil elef havdalos, Bob. Until that happens ...
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2012, 08:48:38 AM »
He was the gadol hador. Ki dvar hashem bazah. I'm mocheh. You were michalel shem shamayim brabim.
+1
the Rebbe never ever said a bad word about him,
thats simply not true

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2012, 08:55:11 AM »
Not even remotely comparable.  You are further displaying your ignorance.
The problem with shabsai tzvi and his followers who violated mitzvahs and ate on tisha b'av for example is the same problem we have with yashka as is tackled by R' Schochet:
   There is not a single case of any Meshichists abrogating or changing a
   single mitzvah or aspect of Halachah! In fact, they continuously urge
   greater and more punctilious observance of Torah and mitzvot to hasten
   the redemption.
also not true, see here http://www.crownheights.info/index.php?itemid=23541
and here http://haemtza.blogspot.com/2010/01/are-all-lubavitchers-messianic.html

Offline Lamdan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2012, 10:30:02 AM »
For the same reason G-d's existence can't be proven beyond doubt: it would preclude b'chira.
Look in Kovetz Maamarim from R' Elchonon Wasserman Hy''d, Article titled "B'Inyan Emunah", that intellectually it can be proven beyond a doubt, bechirah kicks in by way of the taavos leading the mind astray, but it can be proven beyond a doubt to the pure intellectual mind, ayin sham vetimtzeh nachas.
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »
Look in Kovetz Maamarim from R' Elchonon Wasserman Hy''d, Article titled "B'Inyan Emunah", that intellectually it can be proven beyond a doubt, bechirah kicks in by way of the taavos leading the mind astray, but it can be proven beyond a doubt to the pure intellectual mind, ayin sham vetimtzeh nachas.

Sorry, too many flaws in the logic (at least as presented here) for me to accept that.

I don't mean any disrespect to R' Wasserman Tatzal, but the following remains in question:

1. What happens before the first taavah a person chooses, do they then have clarity/purity? If yes, how could they make that first wrong choice and choose the taava?
2. What's the halachic proof (he cites a midrash), why don't the Rambam or any of the Jewish philosophers (chokrim) present it this way?
3. The midrash is referring to the almighty as the creator of the world, but what about the vastness of Hashem that transcends that, how can we prove that part?
4. The source midrash makes no mention of taavos, or the reason why the person wouldn't have seen it on his own, or what R' Akiva would indeed accomplish by telling him this if his intellectual clarity was indeed compromised.

This is surely not the classical approach to b'chira, but it's a nice perspective nevertheless, ושבעים פנים לתורה.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2012, 11:21:06 AM »
  also not true, see here http://www.crownheights.info/index.php?itemid=23541
and here http://haemtza.blogspot.com/2010/01/are-all-lubavitchers-messianic.html
Sorry, but those aren't meshchists or lubavitchers.  They are mental hospital patients. 
You can find crazy people in any sect and it proves nothing at all.

The blogger tries to equate the insane actions of a few people to castigate tens of thousands of mainstream lubavitchers because most of us believe that is is possible (and of course possible otherwise) that the Rebbe can be moshiach.
Again, totally ignoring numerous sources that such a thing is in the realm of possibility.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »
I have many friends who are Chabad, meshichists and non and I have had great Chabad experiences.

Without getting into the question of if Moshiach could come from the deceased, I present the view of many in the non-Chabad world.

There is a famous vort from a Godol of the last Dor, he asked how can Moshiach come in this dor? If he has a knitted Kippa, the Charedi will not accept him, if he has a down-hat, the Chassidim won't accept him etc. He explained from Esther - ain Esther magedes moladta... that everyone thought she was from their nation (Gemara). So too, he explained, that when Moshiach will come, everyone will accept him, everyone will connect to him and respect him.

If you are Chabad, you can claim that all religous Jews held of the Rebbe as a Moshiach or you can say that those who don't are not Jews, they don't count. I will not answer you either way, I think the vort stands. Maybe the Rebbe was a great man, but non-Chabad members will say that the reality is, he was not accepted by most of the dor. That is one simple reason why they do not consider him to BE Moshiach. If he comes back then maybe everyone will think he is Moshiach but the same can be said for any Gadol or lehavdil elef havdalos, Bob. Until that happens ...
I'm not sure what your point is. The vort is silly quite frankly.

Most people acknowledge that the Rebbe was a great man, an ohev yisroel, and a scholar.

People go crazy that lubavitchers believe that the Rebbe could be moshiach, but quite frankly 99.9% of lubavitchers would be just fine if someone else turned out to me moshiach, just like 99.9% of misnagdim would accept the Rebbe if he appeared today and was revealed to be moshiach.

The real bottom line is who cares what everyone else thinks and why are rabbis cursing out lubavitchers for their thoughts?  There is plenty of basis in torah for thoughts that someone could be moshiach, thus the cursing out is uncalled for.
The 2nd B"H was destroyed from sinas chinam.  How about a little bit of Ahavas Chinum as the Rebbe often called for, and surely we will merit to see moshiach, whomever he may be, as soon as today!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2012, 11:27:22 AM »
I'm not sure what your point is. The vort is silly quite frankly.

Most people acknowledge that the Rebbe was a great man, an ohev yisroel, and a scholar.

People go crazy that lubavitchers believe that the Rebbe could be moshiach, but quite frankly 99.9% of lubavitchers would be just fine if someone else turned out to me moshiach, just like 99.9% of misnagdim would accept the Rebbe if he appeared today and was revealed to be moshiach.
Even if R' Shach ZATZAL will be moshiach?
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2012, 11:27:55 AM »
Sorry, but those aren't meshchists or lubavitchers.  They are mental hospital patients. 
You can find crazy people in any sect and it proves nothing at all.
so not only from tsfat? let the list begin. the crownheights link also mentions a woman in 770 who does this on a regular basis

The blogger tries to equate the insane actions of a few people to castigate tens of thousands of mainstream lubavitchers because most of us believe that is is possible (and of course possible otherwise) that the Rebbe can be moshiach.
Again, totally ignoring numerous sources that such a thing is in the realm of possibility.
i only linked the blogger to show that the very person who put them in cherem, himself signed a 'psak din' that the rebbe IS moshiach

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2012, 11:29:33 AM »
Even if R' Shach ZATZAL will be moshiach?
If he gathers all the jews in Israel and performs the signs that he is moshiach then so be it.
I would then ask Eliyahu how could a man who had so much sinas chinum turn out to be moshiach, but to think that would hinder his acceptance is foolhardy.