Author Topic: Messianism among Lubavitch  (Read 371737 times)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Messianism among Lubavitch
« Reply #340 on: January 13, 2013, 11:53:45 AM »
there no such movement as Misnagdim. Today the non chasidic jews are just plain regular jews as we were 500 years ago, just like it was in the times of the reshonim, we didnt change neither do we think its necessary to improve the derech that Rashi had for eg.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #341 on: January 13, 2013, 11:54:42 AM »
Today the non chasidic jews are just plain regular jews as we were 500 years ago, just like it was in the times of the reshonim, we didnt change neither do we think its necessary to improve the derech that Rashi had for eg.
-1,000.  You need to brush up on your history.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #342 on: January 13, 2013, 12:03:16 PM »
there no such movement as Misnagdim. Today the non chasidic jews are just plain regular jews as we were 500 years ago, just like it was in the times of the reshonim, we didnt change neither do we think its necessary to improve the derech that Rashi had for eg.
Same same but different.... very different.

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 13, 2013, 01:03:17 PM »
-1,000.  You need to brush up on your history.

Same same but different.... very different.

Can you folks enlighten us history challenged ppl?

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #344 on: January 13, 2013, 01:08:43 PM »
Can you folks enlighten us history challenged ppl?
Judaism today is VERY different from ANY form of Judaism practiced even 100 years ago, never mind the days of Rashi and the Rishonim....

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #345 on: January 13, 2013, 01:23:07 PM »
Judaism today is VERY different from ANY form of Judaism practiced even 100 years ago, never mind the days of Rashi and the Rishonim....
You mean the majority of Jews don't work on farms and if they are fortunate know how to daven? And musar never happened? Here I thought hashkafa was the same as rashi... Even he was against internet. *end annoyed sarcasm*
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Lamdan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 13, 2013, 02:50:54 PM »
Posting in just shmooze isn't going to help you.  You will stay at 770 :D
I love 770, It's gematria bais moshiach!!  ;D
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 13, 2013, 02:59:36 PM »
Really? in which way?

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 13, 2013, 03:27:40 PM »
Really? in which way?
I've read in the past that Chareidi Judaism is as much of a modern reaction to society changes as is Modern Orthodoxy.
E/t adapts to the times, just in different fashions.

But regardless, I digress...

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #349 on: January 13, 2013, 03:32:42 PM »
Really? in which way?
You mean the majority of Jews don't work on farms and if they are fortunate know how to daven? And musar never happened? Here I thought hashkafa was the same as rashi... Even he was against internet. *end annoyed sarcasm*
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 13, 2013, 04:04:10 PM »

Working on farms has nothing to do with religion. Knowing how to daven? sadly even today hundreds of thousands of jews dont know how.
I was talking about the normal non chasidic frum jews of today, they are definitely not part of any musser movement. Just as Rashi was not part of a movement or anyone els until ~300 years ago.
The point was no movement, Just keeping torah and shulchan oruch according to the unbroken chain of mesorah.

Offline Lamdan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 13, 2013, 04:14:51 PM »
Working on farms has nothing to do with religion. Knowing how to daven? sadly even today hundreds of thousands of jews dont know how.
I was talking about the normal non chasidic frum jews of today, they are definitely not part of any musser movement. Just as Rashi was not part of a movement or anyone els until ~300 years ago.
The point was no movement, Just keeping torah and shulchan oruch according to the unbroken chain of mesorah.
postbabypost!!!
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #352 on: January 13, 2013, 04:53:53 PM »
In the time after Shabtai Tzvi (someone who tried abolishing the torah and its mitzvos, so please don't make idiotic comparisons), Jewry was in a funk.  There were the great learners, but most Jews were very simple, unlearned, and considered to be totally worthless by the learning class.

The chiddush of chassidus was that every single Jew is precious and loved by Hashem as a diamond, something that had been completely forgotten from the time of the rashbi until the middle ages.

The Chasidic way taught the value of the tehilim of a simple jew was as valuable to hashem as the learning of a gaon. 
That teshuva didn't have to come from fear of Gd and Hell but from love of Gd. 
That what we do shouldn't just be for Gan Eden and personal reward, but out of pure love for hashem and wanting to do what He wants.

This eventually led to the Lubavitch mivtzoim movement which caused such hatred of chabad that hadn't been seen in some time.  At least until the "velt" saw how successful it was and wanted it for their own.  And yes, many other Chasidic philosophies became a part of litvisher thinking as well.

There is no wrong way to serve hashem as long as you're following shulchan aruch, though that's not to say we don't have what to learn from each other.

But these witch hunts and unsubstantiated sinas chinum are the same thing that destroyed the 2nd temple.  This hate of lubavitchers, even if it's only externally displayed in a joking manner, among the litvisher velt needs to end already.

Surely if Jews would just get along we would merit to be reunited with a 3rd temple.  And yes, that will be together with whatever leader Gd decides is the right one.  If Gd picks one and it's proved beyond a shadow of a doubt somehow I think we'll all manage to accept His decision ;)

L'chaim.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Messianism among Lubavitch
« Reply #353 on: January 13, 2013, 05:03:54 PM »
In the time after Shabtai Tzvi (someone who tried abolishing the torah and its mitzvos, so please don't make idiotic comparisons), Jewry was in a funk.  There were the great learners, but most Jews were very simple, unlearned, and considered to be totally worthless by the learning class.

The chiddush of chassidus was that every single Jew is precious and loved by Hashem as a diamond, something that had been completely forgotten from the time of the rashbi until the middle ages.

The Chasidic way taught the value of the tehilim of a simple jew was as valuable to hashem as the learning of a gaon. 
That what we do shouldn't just be for Gan Eden and personal reward, but out of pure love for hashem and wanting to do what He wants.

This eventually led to the Lubavitch mivtzoim movement which caused such hatred of chabad that hadn't been seen in some time.  At least until the "velt" saw how successful it was and wanted it for their own.  And yes, many other Chasidic philosophies became a part of litvisher thinking as well.

There is no wrong way to serve hashem as long as you're following shulchan aruch, though that's not to say we don't have what to learn from each other.

But these witch hunts and unsubstantiated sinas chinum are the same thing that destroyed the 2nd temple.  This hate of lubavitchers, even if it's only externally displayed in a joking manner, among the litvisher velt needs to end already.

Surely if Jews would just get along we would merit to be reunited with a 3rd temple.  And yes, that will be together with whatever leader Gd decides is the right one.  If Gd picks one and it's proved beyond a shadow of a doubt somehow I think we'll all manage to accept His decision ;)

L'chaim.

Very well said.

I always feel as though Chassidus began to help being people together and all it does now a days is split people apart.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 05:11:24 PM by sky121 »
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 13, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
Great post Dan.
I have to ask what you mean with the following.

something that had been completely forgotten from the time of the rashbi until the middle ages.

What was it about the rashbi that set him apart from the other rabbanim at the time?
And not to cast aspersions, but doesn't the gemora say that when he came out of the cave, he was unable to understand how ppl could work and not learn, and as a result, he would have been dangerous to the world? (very rough contours of the story, and I know that he recanted later on)

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 13, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »
I always feel as though Chassidus began to help being people together and all it does now a days it split people apart.
It's a problem with all movements that become too comfortable. They need to find an outlet for their energy, and often, it goes into self-destructive behavior.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #356 on: January 13, 2013, 05:15:12 PM »
Great post Dan.
I have to ask what you mean with the following.

What was it about the rashbi that set him apart from the other rabbanim at the time?
And not to cast aspersions, but doesn't the gemora say that when he came out of the cave, he was unable to understand how ppl could work and not learn, and as a result, he would have been dangerous to the world? (very rough contours of the story, and I know that he recanted later on)

I think your 2 questions answer each other: The story goes as follows, after 12 years in the cave Eliyahu told Rashbi and his son to go out, when they went out they couldn't bear the sight of people "מניחין חיי עולם ועוסקין בחיי שעה" ("leaving the (source of) permanent life for the temporary one"), as a result wherever they would look would burn. A Bas Kol told them "If you have come out to destroy my world, better go back in", they went in for another year and this time when they came out "every place Elazar would burn, Rashbi would heal" I.E. He learned his lesson that you can serve Hashem while being involved in the world.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 13, 2013, 05:18:01 PM »
"The Chasidic way taught the value of the tehilim of a simple jew was as valuable to hashem as the learning of a gaon. 
That what we do shouldn't just be for Gan Eden and personal reward, but out of pure love for hashem and wanting to do what He wants."

These concepts are all great but where not nischadesh by the chassidim, Dovid hamelech requested that tehilim should have the value of negoim and ohalos, Teshuva meahava is a posuk in the torah, as is serving hashem out of love.
What exactly Chassidus is about and why it came about is a very deep and complex topic. Most Chassidim will not be able to sum up what chassidus is if you corner them...
The point I want to bring out is that the next time you see a chabadsker say "missnaged" and then spit in disgust, remember that until the chassidus movement started all our ancestors were Just simple Jews and not part of any specific movement. Today the non chassidim are just doing their thing and have no interest in hating anyone. We all live in peace and love of all Jews. Since the times of the chofetz chaim there has been peace.
 (Unless you get up in their face that is..)

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #358 on: January 13, 2013, 05:20:25 PM »

These concepts are all great but where not nischadesh by the chassidim, Dovid hamelech requested that tehilim should have the value of negoim and ohalos, Teshuva meahava is a posuk in the torah, as is serving hashem out of love.
What exactly Chassidus is about and why it came about is a very deep and complex topic. Most Chassidim will not be able to sum up what chassidus is if you corner them...

That is what Chassidim have been telling their Misnagdim for years, "We were not Mechadesh anything, we just revived some of the things which were long forgotten"

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 13, 2013, 05:26:27 PM »
Oh, Kum baya  ;D