Author Topic: Citi thank you points  (Read 22206 times)

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
Re: Citi thank you points
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 05:32:34 AM »
without the prestige they are worth 1.33 towards AA. But nobody addressed trhe fact that you earn CC points for the charge and for the flight! How do i know calculate how much the flight actually costs?

How do you know that miles are earned for the charge? They don't simply deduct the points from your account? Or is it a charge on your stmt, and then an offsetting credit to reflect the point usage?

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 10:02:48 AM »
How do you know that miles are earned for the charge? They don't simply deduct the points from your account? Or is it a charge on your stmt, and then an offsetting credit to reflect the point usage?

The latter....

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 10:05:53 AM »
Which makes my Q still standing in the bumpage....

How can you calculate how much the flight costs? considering that you earn millage for the charge and for the flight and 1.33 cents per $ ... This could be better then BA options but nobody seems to care...

Offline bznt

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 10:14:51 AM »
Is there a thread discussing maximizing citi TY points ? 
I have 125k from a old no fee citi TY credit card. I know that in order for me to be able to transfer out the points I need one of the fee cards . but how do I maximize the value ?

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 10:17:39 AM »
They are worth 1.25 cents for travel expenses or 1.33 on AA
if you get the prestige card they are worth 1.6 cents on AA... but if you get the card you can transfer them

Offline sam i am

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 11:31:13 AM »
Is there a thread discussing maximizing citi TY points ? 
I have 125k from a old no fee citi TY credit card. I know that in order for me to be able to transfer out the points I need one of the fee cards . but how do I maximize the value ?
If you don't want to the fee cards, the best option would be to redeem points toward student loans or mortgage where they are worth .1. Or GC's if there is a store you frequent. Those too are worth .1 per point.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 11:44:15 AM »
If you don't want to the fee cards, the best option would be to redeem points toward student loans or mortgage where they are worth .1. Or GC's if there is a store you frequent. Those too are worth .1 per point.
In the good old days the used to run sales on the gift cards too (once got $2000 Amazon go for 180k) but that was a few years ago, dunno if they still do it...

Offline bznt

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 10:07:17 PM »
I won't mind opening a fee card (of course with a sign up bonus) if I can get a better value per point. Transfer to AA or Singapore.

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2015, 12:48:31 AM »
Points are worth $0.0125 towards airfare with TY Premier. I think with the new rules, points have that value for car rental and hotel too. When are points worth 1.3 cents?
you can now use TY points to pay for Car rental and hotel for same rate as AA flights? Book with  rental with TY points or with  the Premier card first and than redeem  points?
What about the insurance like the CDW if paying car rental with TY points?

Offline David R

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2015, 12:06:30 AM »
you can now use TY points to pay for Car rental and hotel for same rate as AA flights? Book with  rental with TY points or with  the Premier card first and than redeem  points?
I didn't say anything about AA. You can log in to thankyou.com and locate a flight on (almost*) any airline and book it using your points. With a no fee card such as ThankYou Preferred, a $125 flight would cost 12500 points but with a ThankYou Premier card, that $125 flight would only cost 10000 points.
* For flights on an airline that does not appear on the web site (such as Southwest) you just call 800-ThankYo and book it by phone at the same rate of 1 point = 1.25¢ towards airfare.

Before April 19, 2015, if a ThankYou Premier cardholder would use the aforementioned web site or phone line to book a hotel room or rental car with points, the points would not be worth any more than they are worth for holders of the no fee ThankYou cards, i.e., 1 point = 1¢. What I was trying to say in my previous post that you quoted was that after April 19, 2015, points are also worth 1.25¢ each for Premier cardholders towards hotels and car rentals.

I was told by a phone rep that if I use points to book a rental car, the same CDW applies as if I had used the card itself, but I'm not sure I would rely on that information.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:09:44 AM by David R »

Offline Chapshnell

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2015, 12:46:06 AM »
I won't mind opening a fee card (of course with a sign up bonus) if I can get a better value per point. Transfer to AA or Singapore.

Citi TYP dont transfer to AA

Offline bznt

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2015, 12:47:19 AM »
What can I do with typ? Best value

Offline David R

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2015, 02:00:38 AM »
I was told by a phone rep that if I use points to book a rental car, the same CDW applies as if I had used the card itself, but I'm not sure I would rely on that information.
Update: I just noticed this in the Your Guide to Protection Benefits brochure for the Citi ThankYou Premier card in the Worldwide Car Rental Insurance section:

To take advantage of this benefit, the following conditions must apply:
■ The rental was paid for in full including taxes and fees with your Citi card, Citi reward points or a combination of both.

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2015, 05:15:38 AM »
Update: I just noticed this in the Your Guide to Protection Benefits brochure for the Citi ThankYou Premier card in the Worldwide Car Rental Insurance section:
But even if any CDW coverage is included with TY points reservation, it is still a secondary and not primary coverage?
How do I get primary CDW coverage on points? The TY premier card doesn't have Primary CDW coverage benefit I think!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2015, 09:31:32 AM »
Citi TYP dont transfer to AA
Are you sure? Thought I read sometime back that you could transfer to AA.  :)
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline JoeCha

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club, Expedia+ Silver
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2015, 08:04:09 PM »

Remember what happened last time someone was 'told' by a phone rep?
"There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others" ― William Faulkner

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2015, 09:18:46 PM »
Even if CDW is included with points booking it is  a SECONDARY which means you still have to somehow able to get a primary CDW coverage if you want to  protect your *** .
DOn't know how you can get Primacy CDW with points reservation. can you still buy it? If you have to buy it from the rental company directly, it is  a rip off scam cos it costs too much with them.

Offline David R

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2015, 09:49:33 PM »
No, please remind me. In any case see my subsequent post that I have it in writing.
Even if CDW is included with points booking it is  a SECONDARY which means you still have to somehow able to get a primary CDW coverage if you want to  protect your *** .
DOn't know how you can get Primacy CDW with points reservation. can you still buy it? If you have to buy it from the rental company directly, it is  a rip off scam cos it costs too much with them.
The way I understand secondary is that it only covers you after you have exhausted the limits of you primary insurance. But if you don't have primary insurance, the credit card company covers you.

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2015, 10:07:57 PM »
No, please remind me. In any case see my subsequent post that I have it in writing.The way I understand secondary is that it only covers you after you have exhausted the limits of you primary insurance. But if you don't have primary insurance, the credit card company covers you.
secondary CDW is junk! Too much hassle, headache and problem whether you have or don't have your own  auto insurance.

If  you have secondary CDW, first you must submit any claim to your regular auto insurance company, and whatever they don't cover goes to the card's insurance. This will  raise your premiums.

If you have primary CDW  you submit the claim to the card's insurance and your personal auto insurer never has to handle/find out about the claim
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 10:16:14 PM by peace123 »

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2015, 05:27:52 AM »

secondary CDW is junk! Too much hassle, headache and problem whether you have or don't have your own  auto insurance.

If  you have secondary CDW, first you must submit any claim to your regular auto insurance company, and whatever they don't cover goes to the card's insurance. This will  raise your premiums.

If you have primary CDW  you submit the claim to the card's insurance and your personal auto insurer never has to handle/find out about the claim
Any is it a hassle if you don't have insurance?