Author Topic: "I was a Hasidic Jew - but I broke free"  (Read 105453 times)

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Re: "I was a Hasidic Jew - but I broke free"
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2012, 03:21:34 PM »
why bashmutz people no one knows?
+1
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline dirah

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: "I was a Hasidic Jew - but I broke free"
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2012, 06:00:48 PM »
She answered:
What bothers me most about the Chabad community is the messianic aspect, obviously.
Not quite sure why that would bother someone who claims that "Instead of boxing myself in with a label, I consider myself Jewish by identity, and embrace the diversity of the Jewish community in all its forms".

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2012, 07:02:11 PM »
Someone on her Blog asked her:

Have you seen or care to see Oprah's interview she gave with Chabad regarding Judaism and our culture?

She answered:

I’ve seen some clips. I’m glad she came in to the community with an open mind. However I have no affiliation with Chabad, as they have a notorious long-standing feud with the Satmar community. I do know that their customs are very different and they have a less repressive attitude toward women.

What bothers me most about the Chabad community is the messianic aspect, obviously. But that seems to be a minority within the greater Lubavitch society.
If she claims to only know Satmar:
1. why did she totally breakaway from Judaism, why didn't she leave Satmer and that's all?
2. Why did she give her book a name UNORTHODOX if she doesn't know anything about the other sects of the orthodox judaism?
3. If she claims to be now free and happy vs. her older days when she was unsatisfied, why would she try to push her agenda, what's wrong if she knows that she is on good (bad!) track, and leave the public alone?

One answer to all of that:
She had a miserable life, she thought to find the happiness in the secular world, which she didn't, therefore she's at least trying to convince so for the public (and herself), and gain some attention.
There is no way a women with a child, that has no family, no childhood friends, "nobody that is interested in living with her, since she has a child" (her own words), could be happy, and not reconsider the act she has done.
That's all of it!
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2012, 07:05:40 PM »
1. why did she totally breakaway from Judaism, why didn't she leave Satmer and that's all?
2. Why did she give her book a name UNORTHODOX if she doesn't know anything about the other sects of the orthodox judaism?
3. If she claims to be now free and happy vs. her older days when she was unsatisfied, why would she try to push her agenda, what's wrong if she knows that she is on good (bad!) track, and leave the public alone?

She had a miserable life, she thought to find the happiness in the secular world, which she didn't, therefore she's at least trying to convince so for the public (and herself), and gain some attention.
There is no way a women with a child, that has no family, no childhood friends, "nobody that is interested in living with her, since she has a child" (her own words), could be happy, and not reconsider the act she has done.
That's all of it!

+1

Let's pray that her eyes will open, and return one day.

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2012, 07:09:20 PM »
Untrue Claim in her book that a father killed his son......

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2012, 07:09:58 PM »
+1

Let's pray that her eyes will open, and return one day.
Her next book will be titled An Unorthodox return to my orthodox roots B'ezaras Hashem
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2012, 07:14:44 PM »
Untrue Claim in her book that a father killed his son......

wow, that's nasty.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2012, 07:17:07 PM »

That's all of it!

I think were all thinking too deep into things. Too black and white. She probably left Judaism because those are the people she met on the 'outside' or because it was too hard to even be religious at all at the moment. Its very hard to be frum when you're unhappy. Also, she's still young. All of this happened relatively recently. I wouldn't be too surprised if she did become religious again one day. As for the title of her book, for the people she wrote it for Unorthodox is a great name. If she were writing it for religious people she would have made it more defined in terms of sect etc.

I hope she can find her path that leads her to be her best/ most honest version of herself and let her relationship with Gd grow.

"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2012, 07:17:44 PM »
on her facebook she says she's writing a book about Hasidic Crime.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2012, 07:18:10 PM »
Her next book will be titled An Unorthodox return to my orthodox roots B'ezaras Hashem

:)

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2012, 07:21:59 PM »
on her facebook she says she's writing a book about Hasidic Crime.

I hope all the attention on her dies down soon. There's lots to write about unfortunately and we don't need the whole world focused on all the bad right now.

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2012, 11:30:02 AM »
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline ez1985

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2012, 11:38:23 AM »
The truth is we dont want the world focusing on us too much, even if its not bad.  The whole Mikva thing is extremely private.  This is not something we need to see on the Tyra Banks Show or Oprah or anything.  Its for us and it should stay that way. 

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2012, 12:30:38 PM »
The truth is we dont want the world focusing on us too much, even if its not bad.  The whole Mikva thing is extremely private.  This is not something we need to see on the Tyra Banks Show or Oprah or anything.  Its for us and it should stay that way.

+1
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2012, 12:38:30 PM »

Private as an individual, not as a community. We're not Buddhist monks. Maybe somebody will be inspired to start keeping Mikvah or at least to research it more. Only good can come from being open and honest IMHO.

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2012, 02:05:49 PM »
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2012, 02:30:55 PM »
Private as an individual, not as a community. We're not Buddhist monks. Maybe somebody will be inspired to start keeping Mikvah or at least to research it more. Only good can come from being open and honest IMHO.
Which of the two would you think is trying to hide something? This is a real hard one, NOT!
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Bp

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »
The copycats are coming out very quickly  :-[

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2012, 11:43:29 AM »
The copycats are coming out very quickly  :-[
So anyone that decides a Hasidic lifestyle is not for them is a copycat?
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2012, 11:52:26 AM »
So anyone that decides a Hasidic lifestyle is not for them is a copycat?
No, but anyone that feels the need to go to the press is.  Next we'll see another "scandalous rejection" book I'm sure.
Should I go to the press that I sneezed today?

I do wonder why these communities put pressure on abused women not to report it though.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.