Author Topic: "I was a Hasidic Jew - but I broke free"  (Read 105486 times)

Offline yitzf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: "I was a Hasidic Jew - but I broke free"
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2012, 04:07:03 PM »
From the  NY Post interview (OP):
"I’ll still go to Williamsburg, to have brunch with [non-Hasidic] friends and walk around. No one recognizes me"

From ABC News
Even after time has passed, she cannot go back to Williamsburg without facing judgment.
"Everyone recognizes me and knows me," she said.

huh?

Offline ChAiM'l

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2012, 04:39:34 PM »
"I’ll still go to Williamsburg, to have brunch with [non-Hasidic] friends and walk around. No one recognizes me"

From ABC News
Even after time has passed, she cannot go back to Williamsburg without facing judgment.

huh?

One of many inconsistencies in her story.

Offline ChAiM'l

• View Profile

Offline kracked dude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2012, 07:11:19 PM »

From ABC News

huh?

Yes, she does have quite a few inconsisticies. One that stuck in my head (I haven't read any of the articles/videos since this first came up, there were more at the time) she says once that she can barely remember anything from her one date before the wedding. Another time she discusses that date in detail. Yet another time she says that she had two meetings before the wedding. 

Offline Jkhein

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2012, 05:01:15 PM »

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2012, 05:09:46 PM »
She says she can bring moshiach with the zechus she has that her book is the cause of such an achdus between satmar, lubavitch and yeshivish...
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline U-no-me!

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2012, 05:55:50 PM »
After watching this segment of "the view" where this quack was interviewd, where they are underhandedly demonizing good traditional housewives as failures. I am just so sick and tired of "enlightened" 21st century society lecturing us about women's rights and demonizing our ways. Their society has divorce rates above 50% and that is for those that got married. what is the precentage of those born out of wedlock? how about crime, prostitution, drugs, violence, domestic abuse etc;?

Here is a partial response in regards to the way Jews treat woman and marriage:

Jews were the pioneers of women's rights, as well as equality Liberty, and self government. Jews did not emancipate their women, as did western society, for the reason that they never enslaved them. Jews did not grant women equality as the women's movement strives for, for the reason that equality simply would not apply; women are not equal to men, as men are not equal to women. There is simply no superior gender. Both man and Women is both superior in their own sphere. Jewish men see great powers in women that men do not possess, and according to psychological differences have left to women such duties as they are best adapted to by nature, in order to accomplish the most efficient results. In Genesis it says "I will make for him (man) a helpmate". Translated from Hebrew it means "even", "parallel". Unlike the conception of certain other religions that the women are made only for the man.

The Tanach recounts the story of Deborah a prophetess a ruler and a judge, who in time of distress took a similar role of joan of arc (although about 3000 years before the episode). The Jews appreciated the value of this great woman, unlike the shameful and tragic burning alive of Joan of Arc.

The Book of Esther recounts and tells us of a women's modesty, wisdom and self sacrifice and of how she saved her people from destruction. Not only Jews but Christians and Muslims should also be thankful to Esther for had it not been for her, who knows whether there would be any Jews or their religious offspring namely Christians and Muslims, on earth?

The list goes on and on, Rebbekah, Ruth, Sarah, Chanah, during the roman pillaging, during the crusades etc; The women has been the fortress that kept Judaism strong, vibrant and let the nation endure.

The Talmud declared that women have binah yiseirah extra intelligence. The great rabbi akiva attributed all the honor and fame to his dear wife, Rachel.

Chazal Commanded "love your wife as yourself, but honor her more than yourself" "the husband should treat his wife with respesct for his home owes it's blessing to her" etc;

Unlike other races who talk about their women vulgarly when drunk, their love songs being of vulgar impulses, their immodest paintings under the precept of art. The Jew talks about his women when religiously intoxicated during the climax of divine inspiration when he sees angels, Friday night.

With all the progress towards equality for woman has made, the jewish ancient tradition is still way ahead and olways will be, for it is divine. 

In many non jewish marriages they use the term "to obey". On the other hand the jewish groom does not, rather contrary he makes the pledge in the kesubah among of which states "I shall serve, honor, and provide for you according to the manner of jewish husbands, who honor serve and provide for their wives in truth".

And let's not forget that all this was practiced in a time when the Christians considered their wives as satan, from which sin comes from.

Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline SuperFlyer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2012, 02:06:36 PM »
What should I say, just wow !

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2012, 02:21:22 PM »
After watching this segment of "the view" where this quack was interviewd, where they are underhandedly demonizing good traditional housewives as failures. I am just so sick and tired of "enlightened" 21st century society lecturing us about women's rights and demonizing our ways. Their society has divorce rates above 50% and that is for those that got married. what is the precentage of those born out of wedlock? how about crime, prostitution, drugs, violence, domestic abuse etc;?

Here is a partial response in regards to the way Jews treat woman and marriage:

Jews were the pioneers of women's rights, as well as equality Liberty, and self government. Jews did not emancipate their women, as did western society, for the reason that they never enslaved them. Jews did not grant women equality as the women's movement strives for, for the reason that equality simply would not apply; women are not equal to men, as men are not equal to women. There is simply no superior gender. Both man and Women is both superior in their own sphere. Jewish men see great powers in women that men do not possess, and according to psychological differences have left to women such duties as they are best adapted to by nature, in order to accomplish the most efficient results. In Genesis it says "I will make for him (man) a helpmate". Translated from Hebrew it means "even", "parallel". Unlike the conception of certain other religions that the women are made only for the man.

The Tanach recounts the story of Deborah a prophetess a ruler and a judge, who in time of distress took a similar role of joan of arc (although about 3000 years before the episode). The Jews appreciated the value of this great woman, unlike the shameful and tragic burning alive of Joan of Arc.

The Book of Esther recounts and tells us of a women's modesty, wisdom and self sacrifice and of how she saved her people from destruction. Not only Jews but Christians and Muslims should also be thankful to Esther for had it not been for her, who knows whether there would be any Jews or their religious offspring namely Christians and Muslims, on earth?

The list goes on and on, Rebbekah, Ruth, Sarah, Chanah, during the roman pillaging, during the crusades etc; The women has been the fortress that kept Judaism strong, vibrant and let the nation endure.

The Talmud declared that women have binah yiseirah extra intelligence. The great rabbi akiva attributed all the honor and fame to his dear wife, Rachel.

Chazal Commanded "love your wife as yourself, but honor her more than yourself" "the husband should treat his wife with respesct for his home owes it's blessing to her" etc;

Unlike other races who talk about their women vulgarly when drunk, their love songs being of vulgar impulses, their immodest paintings under the precept of art. The Jew talks about his women when religiously intoxicated during the climax of divine inspiration when he sees angels, Friday night.

With all the progress towards equality for woman has made, the jewish ancient tradition is still way ahead and olways will be, for it is divine. 

In many non jewish marriages they use the term "to obey". On the other hand the jewish groom does not, rather contrary he makes the pledge in the kesubah among of which states "I shall serve, honor, and provide for you according to the manner of jewish husbands, who honor serve and provide for their wives in truth".

And let's not forget that all this was practiced in a time when the Christians considered their wives as satan, from which sin comes from.

+1000 That was awesome! major props! I wish all the feminists would read that. But There are also "sexist" saying in gemara too...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #150 on: February 23, 2012, 02:26:28 PM »
Not as a guide
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline U-no-me!

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 23, 2012, 04:33:41 PM »
+1000 That was awesome! major props! I wish all the feminists would read that. But There are also "sexist" saying in gemara too...

Thanks.

Just wondering where are the "sexist" comments in the gemara? I for one only know of ones which are generally taken out of context.
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2012, 04:41:11 PM »
Thanks.

Just wondering where are the "sexist" comments in the gemara? I for one only know of ones which are generally taken out of context.

maybe he mean in shabbos; daaton kalos...?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2012, 05:25:09 PM »
probably they are just taken out of context. I'm not a bukey in gemara at all but in pessachim it says women are lazy, the famous one that a women is like a jug full of excretions who's opening is full of blood, I heard there is a halacha that women can't vote because they can't make up their mind on things don't know the source, also in shulchan aruch I think it was the taz that says women don't know how to BBQ but that may be true  :-)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2012, 06:37:34 PM »
probably they are just taken out of context. I'm not a bukey in gemara at all but in pessachim it says women are lazy, the famous one that a women is like a jug full of excretions who's opening is full of blood, I heard there is a halacha that women can't vote because they can't make up their mind on things don't know the source, also in shulchan aruch I think it was the taz that says women don't know how to BBQ but that may be true  :-)

Ladies are different, they need no head-covering (unmarried), and also prayers is less made for them, as they are elevated, and its included by them already by default.

Offline WhyAich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
"I was a Hasidic Jew - but I broke free"
« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2012, 07:31:38 PM »

There are certain qualities in men and certain qualities in woman.
There are many thing a woman can do and a man cannot
For great Airfare deals - PLEASE contact me via PM or email: whyaich@gmail.com

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2012, 07:35:31 PM »
I'm an anti-feminisit. Religion, as opposed to Darwinism, tells us woman was created as an assistance, עזר כנגדו. Doesn't mean women are lesser creatures than men (like animals), but IMHO the role of the women is secondary. Still, there are exceptions, some of which are very famous.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #157 on: February 23, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »
I'm an anti-feminisit. Religion, as opposed to Darwinism, tells us woman was created as an assistance, עזר כנגדו. Doesn't mean women are lesser creatures than men (like animals), but IMHO the role of the women is secondary. Still, there are exceptions, some of which are very famous.
Wow :P
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 23, 2012, 08:02:24 PM »
thats the keyword

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2012, 08:03:32 PM »
thats the keyword
I must of thought of 5 different things you could've meant
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים