Author Topic: Wall Street Journal Article on the Taxability of Airline Miles  (Read 4356 times)

Offline bem684

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Wall Street Journal Article on the Taxability of Airline Miles
« on: February 08, 2012, 02:31:43 PM »
Just in case some of you aren't getting free subscriptions to the WSJ for some odd reason...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204662204577199323818720712.html

Offline Yeki89

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Wall Street Journal Article on the Taxability of Airline Miles
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 02:34:56 PM »
Very clear

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 12:57:03 PM »
For some reason I didn't notice this the first time I read the article...

"Miles awarded as prizes. Mr. Petersen notes that sometimes firms award miles to a few customers chosen at random, as in a sweepstakes. These qualify as "prizes," which are generally taxable, just as lottery winnings would be. He has seen cases in which winners rejected the miles because they didn't want to owe the tax involved."

That's the dumbest thing ever.  It's almost as bad as saying "I'd rather not take the $10,000 cash prize, because then I'd have to pay $3,000 taxes on it!"  Miles are so easily sellable or convertible to other sellable assets, that the person would definitely profit from the prize even after paying the taxes.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 12:58:57 PM »
For some reason I didn't notice this the first time I read the article...

"Miles awarded as prizes. Mr. Petersen notes that sometimes firms award miles to a few customers chosen at random, as in a sweepstakes. These qualify as "prizes," which are generally taxable, just as lottery winnings would be. He has seen cases in which winners rejected the miles because they didn't want to owe the tax involved."

That's the dumbest thing ever.  It's almost as bad as saying "I'd rather not take the $10,000 cash prize, because then I'd have to pay $3,000 taxes on it!"  Miles are so easily sellable or convertible to other sellable assets, that the person would definitely profit from the prize even after paying the taxes.

I don't think so. If Delta gave me a million SkyMiles at 3cpm valuation, and they're only worth 1.1 cpm to me, then if my tax rate is 40%, I'm better off rejecting their offer. The other think to consider is that (AFAIK) these gifts bump up your gross income, so if you have some reason to want to keep them under a certain amount, you have to consider that as well.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 01:47:18 PM »
I don't think so. If Delta gave me a million SkyMiles at 3cpm valuation, and they're only worth 1.1 cpm to me, then if my tax rate is 40%, I'm better off rejecting their offer. The other think to consider is that (AFAIK) these gifts bump up your gross income, so if you have some reason to want to keep them under a certain amount, you have to consider that as well.

I hear.  However if you can prove that there is no way the miles are worth 3cpm you could have them re-valued in tax court...of course the prize would have to be pretty mighty to make it worth the legal fees lol.  It's sort of ridiculous that the banks get to assign a value to the miles. 

I wonder if you win a car, are you taxed on the MSRP, sticker price, or the average of what people actually pay for it?  According to my tax professor it ought to be taxed on the fair market value (ie what people are willing to pay), but I can see how that would be a headache for the IRS and they might just circumvent their own rule.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 01:51:25 PM »
I hear.  However if you can prove that there is no way the miles are worth 3cpm you could have them re-valued in tax court...of course the prize would have to be pretty mighty to make it worth the legal fees lol.  It's sort of ridiculous that the banks get to assign a value to the miles. 

I wonder if you win a car, are you taxed on the MSRP, sticker price, or the average of what people actually pay for it?  According to my tax professor it ought to be taxed on the fair market value (ie what people are willing to pay), but I can see how that would be a headache for the IRS and they might just circumvent their own rule.

There are other ways to contest it, the question is if it's worth the hassle, for 1mm DL it might be, but for 50k I'll pass. Either way, point was that it isn't a foolish argument.

Offline michael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 02:12:37 PM »
You also have to factor in the potentially high cost for a tax attorney, if you raise enough red flags to trigger an audit.

Offline michael

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 10:08:44 PM »
It seems that miles earned through spending money on credit cards are not taxable, because they are considered a reduction in purchase price. This means that if you spent $1000 and got $500 worth of sign-up bonuses, it just reduces your basis in the goods you purchased, in the form of a rebate.

However, no one on these forums, nor anyone else I was able to find online, addresses the issue of getting a bonus worth $500 when you only spend $1, like by the United/Continental/Starwood cards. As you only spent $1, and got much more than that in return, there is no basis to reduce.

Are these miles taxed? Any opinions?

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 10:16:07 PM »
In theory they should be.  Anything beyond the rebate would probably be an incentive/prize which is taxable.  In practice those bonuses are not generally reported to the IRS, and therefore you can get away with it.

Offline newtothegame

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 10:56:43 PM »
even in those cases, like amex said in the article " "Often there is either a spending requirement to get the miles, or the customer is paying an annual fee to sign up for the card," she said."

OnePass card has an annual fee

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 11:39:03 AM »
OnePass card has an annual fee

I believe the fee on that card is $85.  The signup bonus is worth $500 at least.  So you still have a problem.  I don't think they'll allow a purchase rebate on something several years in the future, and there's a definite possibility of canceling the card, so you couldn't rely on the assumption that the customer will pay that annual fee for many years. 

Offline michael

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 01:33:43 PM »
So why do absolutely none of the numerous articles online about this general topic, discuss this particular issue?

This can be a huge problem if the IRS audits any one of us.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 01:45:38 PM »
Because its not an issue.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 01:51:14 PM »
So why do absolutely none of the numerous articles online about this general topic, discuss this particular issue?

This can be a huge problem if the IRS audits any one of us.

It would only be a problem if you get audited. The airlines/CC issuers aren't reporting reporting to the IRS that they gave you miles (valued at $xxxx), and the IRS doesn't ask to see people's mileage accounts when they audit. The only issue is with someone who is selling their miles, that person needs to talk to his accountant about how to calculate taxes on that income.

Offline michael

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 01:57:36 PM »
Ok, so I'm specifically referring to people who sell their miles. Maybe most articles don't address that issue, as most people don't sell them.

If you sell them though, AND you're audited AND the check you received clearly states some sort of mileage buyer AND from was deposited in your bank account, you have issues.

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 01:59:37 PM »
as most people don't sell them.
Not sure about this.
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 02:11:23 PM »
Ok, so I'm specifically referring to people who sell their miles. Maybe most articles don't address that issue, as most people don't sell them.
[/b]

Sounds right to me.

Not sure about this.

I'm sure about it. If it was common you'd see it (and the airlines' reactions) discussed more in the media.

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 05:35:31 PM »
S/o asked in the Fidelity thread what this would mean for that offer. What are your thoughts?
When I did it for TD Ameritrade 2 years back, I never received a/t, but since there is no spending req or annual fee, it would seem that it should be taxable.