Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2338424 times)

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #10041 on: May 22, 2019, 10:39:17 AM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephenmcbride1/2019/05/21/netflix-has-175-days-left-to-pull-off-a-miracle-or-its-all-over/amp/
After a few weeks it’s no longer in theaters. You can’t buy it. You can’t rent it. The only way to watch is to subscribe to Disney’s steaming service, Disney+.

For example, the only place your children or grandchildren will be able to see Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2 may be on Disney+.
Pirating is gonna go way up.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #10042 on: May 22, 2019, 12:20:00 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-22/ford-s-way-to-finish-driverless-deliveries-package-carrying-robots?srnd=premium

Seems super gimmicky to me. Why in the world would they opt for a bipedal design rather than a more versatile and stable design with 4 or more feet?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #10043 on: May 22, 2019, 12:21:24 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-21/self-driving-trucks-will-carry-mail-in-u-s-for-the-first-time?srnd=premium

This is where the big future of autonomous driving is IMHO. Now how does one profit from it?
-- Dan

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #10044 on: May 22, 2019, 01:22:49 PM »
Now how does one profit from it?
Buy stock in the companies developing the technologies?

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #10045 on: May 22, 2019, 01:27:02 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-22/ford-s-way-to-finish-driverless-deliveries-package-carrying-robots?srnd=premium

Seems super gimmicky to me. Why in the world would they opt for a bipedal design rather than a more versatile and stable design with 4 or more feet?

Ford’s decision to go with two legs, instead of wheels, came with help from researchers at the University of Michigan. “Our world is designed for bipedals—us,” Stephens said. “So there's an inherent attractiveness to a bipedal robot.”

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #10046 on: May 22, 2019, 01:36:52 PM »
Ford’s decision to go with two legs, instead of wheels, came with help from researchers at the University of Michigan. “Our world is designed for bipedals—us,” Stephens said. “So there's an inherent attractiveness to a bipedal robot.”

I saw that, and I think the "attractiveness" is just another word for a gimmick. Just look around at how much people love their pets. 4 legs would definitely be more efficient than 2 legs, and 6 or 8 probably even better, and possibly a combination of legs and wheels would be the most efficient.
-- Dan

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10047 on: May 22, 2019, 03:41:26 PM »
The article makes a compelling argument.  What's your opinion based on?
They're trying to make the dessert in to the main course.

Yes they had and will have a lot of must see  blockbusters but those won't be coming once a month to keep you subscribed.

The only people who I can see would stay subscribed are the families with young kids.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #10048 on: May 22, 2019, 03:43:57 PM »
I saw that, and I think the "attractiveness" is just another word for a gimmick.
I'm pretty sure in this context "attractiveness" doesn't mean "looks pretty to a viewer," I'm pretty sure it means it was desirable to the engineers.

4 legs would definitely be more efficient than 2 legs, and 6 or 8 probably even better, and possibly a combination of legs and wheels would be the most efficient.
As I understand it, the "efficiency" with >2 legs and/or added wheels is to overcome the instability of a bipedal. When you have a robot that needs to function within the human world, or as they say, a world "designed for bipedals," there is certainly a desirability (or "attractiveness") to a bipedal design.

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10049 on: May 22, 2019, 04:21:39 PM »
They're trying to make the dessert in to the main course.

Yes they had and will have a lot of must see  blockbusters but those won't be coming once a month to keep you subscribed.

I know nothing about this business, but won't they also have (or eventually be able to get) all or most of what Netflix has? The new releases just "sweeten the deal".

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #10050 on: May 22, 2019, 05:02:19 PM »
As I understand it, the "efficiency" with >2 legs and/or added wheels is to overcome the instability of a bipedal. When you have a robot that needs to function within the human world, or as they say, a world "designed for bipedals," there is certainly a desirability (or "attractiveness") to a bipedal design.

So the world "designed for bipedals" means that to get from a motor vehicle parked at the curb to a front door, carrying a delivery, often going up steps, sloped walkways, etc. etc., is designed to be done while maintaining balance using a bipedal design rather than a quad or more pedal design? You'll have to explain that one to me.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 05:05:53 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #10051 on: May 22, 2019, 05:32:03 PM »
So the world "designed for bipedals" means that to get from a motor vehicle parked at the curb to a front door, carrying a delivery, often going up steps, sloped walkways, etc. etc., is designed to be done while maintaining balance using a bipedal design rather than a quad or more pedal design? You'll have to explain that one to me.
I was going to add a line to post basically saying that I don't know if this was the right move here, but this is often a concern with robots in general. I see I should've made sure to include it. :)

Depending on what this robot needs to do it may very well be gimicky, although it does seem kinda odd that they would want the extra trouble of the balance issues just for a gimmick. Unless of course by "gimmick" we mean "customers won't want to buy this with a quadruped because people will be uncomfortable with the way it looks." 

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #10052 on: May 22, 2019, 06:53:51 PM »
I was going to add a line to post basically saying that I don't know if this was the right move here, but this is often a concern with robots in general. I see I should've made sure to include it. :)

Depending on what this robot needs to do it may very well be gimicky, although it does seem kinda odd that they would want the extra trouble of the balance issues just for a gimmick. Unless of course by "gimmick" we mean "customers won't want to buy this with a quadruped because people will be uncomfortable with the way it looks."

IDK. I would think that people would feel more uncomfortable with a semi-humanoid headless design, than something that doesn't resemble anything in real life.

https://www.bostondynamics.com/handle blended with https://www.bostondynamics.com/spot-classic

-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #10053 on: May 22, 2019, 07:55:54 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10054 on: May 22, 2019, 08:35:25 PM »
https://apnews.com/4fe25feb5481467fbcc0a2f275a287f9
I should market them to yeshiva bachorim, to give in to thier rabbeim.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #10055 on: May 22, 2019, 11:06:52 PM »
https://www.bostondynamics.com/handle blended with https://www.bostondynamics.com/spot-classic
I think this might prove my point.
Why did BD give that thing only two legs? wouldn't 4 be more efficient? And I'm guessing it can't deal with stairs, it only stays on one level.
Add the ability to walk up stairs and you kinda end up with the Ford thing...

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #10056 on: May 23, 2019, 01:31:11 AM »
I should market them to yeshiva bachorim, to give in to thier rabbeim.
Nah they have to learn how to not get caught.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #10057 on: May 23, 2019, 03:21:39 AM »
I think this might prove my point.
Why did BD give that thing only two legs? wouldn't 4 be more efficient? And I'm guessing it can't deal with stairs, it only stays on one level.
Add the ability to walk up stairs and you kinda end up with the Ford thing...
Uhm, that thing has wheels, not legs, because it’s designed for a flat surface warehouse. Which is why I said blended with the 4 legged design which is optimized for stability in all kinds of terrain.

Just look up some designs of stair climbing wheelchairs for some alternative designs that could work.
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #10059 on: May 23, 2019, 09:31:54 AM »
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/05/22/health/ny-mangled-measles-messaging/index.html

I am trying to find my געזונט זאָרגן שפײַזער so I can talk to him/her/it.   🤣
-- Dan