Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2347920 times)

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
["-"]

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #11322 on: November 09, 2020, 07:30:03 PM »
What all these article are ignoring is individual agency. ...
it should be up to individuals to decide if they want to drive under those conditions.

For many if not most of the drivers, they wouldn't be doing it if they had other job options.
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #11323 on: November 09, 2020, 07:59:38 PM »
(Language warning.)

This is pretty crazy:
https://traffic.megaphone.fm/GLT4235939792.mp3

If you want to use some kind of podcast app instead,
look for Resistance, (episode 2) "Shake The Room."

Stop at 37:10 to avoid kol isha (that's also where the story ends;
if you want to listen to the credits, you can pick up at 37:33 and
stop after "See you all next week" before the song comes back.
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #11324 on: November 09, 2020, 08:00:36 PM »
https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/featured/1917945/ywn-editorial-the-ny-post-once-again-trashes-orthodox-jews-in-glaring-double-standard.html

I think this is BS. The paper didn't call out the Jews for not distancing. The last paragraph mentioned a history of Orthodox Jewish communities clashing with the government over large funerals. News articles make those connections all the time. Why didn't they mention it in the article about the Biden supporters? Why should they? How is it relevant?

Call out hypocrisy and anti-Semitism. This ain't it.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11325 on: November 09, 2020, 08:24:46 PM »
I think this is BS. The paper didn't call out the Jews for not distancing. The last paragraph mentioned a history of Orthodox Jewish communities clashing with the government over large funerals. News articles make those connections all the time. Why didn't they mention it in the article about the Biden supporters? Why should they? How is it relevant?

Call out hypocrisy and anti-Semitism. This ain't it.
I think this is BS.
I’m glad your living up to your reputation as an enlightened apologist.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #11326 on: November 09, 2020, 08:40:27 PM »
I think this is BS.

I'm not enlightened, and I'm not apologizing. The article was about the funeral, with quotes from the OU about Rav Feinstein, zatzal. The last paragraph says BDB has criticized the community for holding large funerals, and Cuomo has asked them to stop holding large gatherings because of Covid. Every FOX News article I read has the same seemingly random paragraph at the end of the article referencing some related history to the story.

I'm willing to bet you're one of the first to roll your eyes super hard when you hear people yelling racism when someone looks at them sideways. Talk about double standards.

Online S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #11327 on: November 09, 2020, 08:45:07 PM »
I think this is BS.
You’ve been making baseless ad hominem attacks lately and somebody needs to call you out. If you don’t have anything substantive to add say nothing at all.

I don’t fully agree with @Lurker. But it’s perfectly fine for him to believe/say.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #11329 on: November 10, 2020, 10:38:58 AM »
You’ve been making baseless ad hominem attacks lately and somebody needs to call you out. If you don’t have anything substantive to add say nothing at all.

I don’t fully agree with @Lurker. But it’s perfectly fine for him to believe/say.
I’m glad to see you’re  doing your job.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #11330 on: November 10, 2020, 10:50:57 AM »
I'm not enlightened, and I'm not apologizing. The article was about the funeral, with quotes from the OU about Rav Feinstein, zatzal. The last paragraph says BDB has criticized the community for holding large funerals, and Cuomo has asked them to stop holding large gatherings because of Covid. Every FOX News article I read has the same seemingly random paragraph at the end of the article referencing some related history to the story.

I'm willing to bet you're one of the first to roll your eyes super hard when you hear people yelling racism when someone looks at them sideways. Talk about double standards.
For reference. maybe you can point to a Fox News article on R’ Fienstein funeral pointing out how Cuomo criticized the Jewish Orthodox community etc.
Talk about being presumptuous.
When an injustice is done to a black person my default thought process isn’t “it must be racism” in the same manner when someone comes around my neighborhood on a fri. night shooting out car windows of vehicles owned by Jews I don’t jump to “must be an anti Semite on a rampage.” I’ll wait for the facts to come out. But when there is a clear double standard and we refuse to call out, I call BS.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #11331 on: November 10, 2020, 11:42:49 AM »
For reference. maybe you can point to a Fox News article on R’ Fienstein funeral pointing out how Cuomo criticized the Jewish Orthodox community etc.
When an injustice is done to a black person my default thought process isn’t “it must be racism” in the same manner when someone comes around my neighborhood on a fri. night shooting out car windows of vehicles owned by Jews I don’t jump to “must be an anti Semite on a rampage.” I’ll wait for the facts to come out. But when there is a clear double standard and we refuse to call out, I call BS.

This has nothing to do with the subject of the article. This has been a pet peeve of mine for a while. It's not limited to FOX News; I've seen it on CNN, MSNBC, AP, and other sites. The standard article usually has a paragraph or two at the end which seemingly doesn't fit with the article itself. It's usually loosely connected, or references a previous development related to the rest of the article's content. I don't know why that paragraph is included. It could be to up the word count, to keep people on the site a little longer for revenue purposes, to generate clicks when those paragraphs link to the related content, or to make people search the site for the story on the previous development. Regardless of the degeneration of journalistic standards, it is still the norm to have that paragraph. With that context, I don't see the difference between the paragraph found at the end of the NY Post and similar paragraphs found at the end of most other articles.

Regarding your fairness in racism, that wasn't the point. I didn't say any injustice was done. In fact, I was referring to the overuse of the racism cry, and saying that we have the same issue of overuse when claiming anti-Semitism. Where we roll our eyes at the overuse in one instance, we're quick to try to justify it when it's us doing it. That's a double standard.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #11332 on: November 10, 2020, 11:57:22 AM »
Regarding your fairness in racism, that wasn't the point. I didn't say any injustice was done. In fact, I was referring to the overuse of the racism cry, and saying that we have the same issue of overuse when claiming anti-Semitism. Where we roll our eyes at the overuse in one instance, we're quick to try to justify it when it's us doing it. That's a double standard.
When an injustice is done to a black person my default thought process isn’t “it must be racism” in the same manner when someone comes around my neighborhood on a fri. night shooting out car windows of vehicles owned by Jews I don’t jump to “must be an anti Semite on a rampage.”I’ll wait for the facts to come out. But when there is a clear double standard and we refuse to call out, I call BS.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #11333 on: November 10, 2020, 12:04:12 PM »

And I'm saying this is standard practice in journalism today, meaning the double standard is imagined.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #11334 on: November 10, 2020, 12:10:20 PM »
And I'm saying this is standard practice in journalism today, meaning the double standard is imagined.
So we should never call them out?!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #11335 on: November 10, 2020, 12:12:50 PM »
So we should never call them out?!

Call it out! But if it's THE standard, then don't call it a double standard! They aren't singling you out. It's not anti-Semitism. It's bad journalism.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #11336 on: November 10, 2020, 12:17:30 PM »
Call it out! But if it's THE standard, then don't call it a double standard! They aren't singling you out. It's not anti-Semitism. It's bad journalism.
Very punny but meaningless.
You keep on bringing up antisemitism. Was  I not clear enough in the previous posts? FTT.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #11337 on: November 10, 2020, 12:20:35 PM »
Very punny but meaningless.
You keep on bringing up antisemitism. Was  I not clear enough in the previous posts? FTT.

It's not punny. A double standard is when there is one standard for some, and a separate standard for others. The YWN called the NY Post article "a glaring double standard." I called BS. You decided I was apologizing for something. What am I missing?

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #11338 on: November 10, 2020, 01:12:19 PM »
It's not punny. A double standard is when there is one standard for some, and a separate standard for others. The YWN called the NY Post article "a glaring double standard." I called BS. You decided I was apologizing for something. What am I missing?
If the standard of a paper is to have a double standard i.e. “ one standard for some, and a separate standard for others.”  One ought to call them out every-time.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #11339 on: November 10, 2020, 01:19:58 PM »
If the standard of a paper is to have a double standard i.e. “ one standard for some, and a separate standard for others.”  One ought to call them out every-time.

But they put a random ending paragraph in most articles. And not just that paper. This is what passes for standard journalism. If the claim of anti-Semitism is based on articles about Jews being written differently than articles about everyone else, but it turns out the article is written just like a plethora of other articles on myriads of subjects, then there is no anti-Semitism. You don't have to like the journalism, but we aren't being singled out here.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 01:24:51 PM by Lurker »