Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2348476 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #11360 on: November 19, 2020, 06:51:00 PM »
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #11361 on: November 22, 2020, 01:26:01 PM »
https://www.okaz.com.sa/articles/authors/2048070

Use your favorite translation bot, you should be able to figure out the gist of what he's saying.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #11362 on: November 23, 2020, 06:56:58 PM »
How can Richard Wagner's conceptual anti-Semitism be expressed
in half-seconds of music? Find out today on cultural critic theater!

tabletmag.com/sections/arts-letters/articles/richard-wagner-racism-alex-ross

I don't know why that link isn't a link. Anyway, I doubt most of you read the piece,
so here's about a third of it:

Goal-oriented motion is the invariant characteristic of the classics. The composer states a home key (or “tonic”) and moves away from it, almost always to the key of the note a fifth above it (the “dominant”) and returns to the home key at the conclusion. The journey from tonic to dominant and back may be simple, as in the bridge of most popular songs, or tortuous and extended, as in a late Schubert sonata, but this forward-looking expectation drives the music forward. The great composers create suspense, irony, tension—the whole palette of human emotions—by delaying or temporarily diverting the ascent to the dominant and the descent to the tonic, but this framework (or “fundamental structure” in the term of the great Austrian music theorist Heinrich Schenker) always is there.

Regularity of meter at least at some level always is present in classical music. Mozart habitually writes phrases of irregular length, but we hear them as expansions or contractions of regular phrases. Frequently, the great composers create a higher-level meter that bears the listener on the journey to tonal resolution. The spiritual connotations of goal-oriented motion are profoundly Western; indeed, for this reason it is fair to think of classical music as the most characteristic art form of the West.

The soul’s journey to salvation, or the individual’s journey to redemption, are not pictured but rather recreated in classical composition. It is no accident that the authoritative thinker in modern Orthodox Judaism, Rabbi Yosef Dov Soloveitchik, loved classical music (especially Bach), and ruled that the prohibition against listening to music during the Three Weeks before Tisha B’Av did not apply to “sublime” classical music but only to music of revelry. Among Western art forms classical music comes closest to Jewish time-consciousness, which recreates the past in the present through the public declamation of Torah in emulation of the Sinai revelation, the reliving of the Exodus at the Seder, and the remembrance of creation in the Friday evening Kiddush.

Even the secular music of the great classical composers evokes a biblical, i.e., Jewish, sense of time. As Franz Rosenzweig writes, “Revelation is the first thing to set its mark firmly into the middle of time; only after Revelation do we have an immovable Before and Afterward.” Pre-biblical time by contrast has no necessary direction and no internal direction; it is the time of peoples for whom the past is lost in mist and the future is the unthinking reiteration of the present. It is not a specific time, but only “once upon a time,” the unchanging repetition of life as it is and always will be. The pentatonic music of pre-modern peoples is inherently static (in fact, modern composers borrow from it to slow the march of musical time). Only with the memory of Sinai (or for Christians, Calvary) and the expectation of ultimate redemption does time take on internal differentiation and a sense of necessity. As R. Soloveitchik explains, “Time-awareness also contains a moral element: responsibility for emerging events and intervention in the historical process. Man, according to Judaism, should try to mold and fashion the future. That is exactly why he has been created as a free agent.” Time is not perceived passively, but rather constituted by human intent, which in turn allows for moral differentiation and judgment.

That is precisely what Wagner set out to subvert in his music, that is, our obligation to moral law as well as the constitution of time that arises from it. “Time is absolute Nothing. Only that which makes time forgotten, that destroys it, is Something,” he wrote in 1852 to Theodor Uhlig. In Wagner’s last opera a guardian of the shrine of the Holy Grail says the same thing in so many words: “Here time becomes space.” In other words, time ceases to be time.

Wagner’s anti-Semitism is explicitly racist, but it is also therefore metaphysical: He sets out to subvert not merely the concept of covenant, but the constitution of time demarcated by the Covenant and ultimate redemption.
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #11363 on: November 23, 2020, 07:06:56 PM »

Use your favorite translation bot, you should be able to figure out the gist of what he's saying.

So they're ready to acknowledge Jerusalem not being the location of Mohammed's journey or whatever?

(I ended up looking at an article on Saudi/UAE collaboration on video games, which it seems
will involve a company called Boss Bunny Games making one or more games based on this
animated Arabic TV show about 4 old ladies in Dubai: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0885827/ )
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #11364 on: November 24, 2020, 06:09:16 PM »

Offline Randomex

• View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #11366 on: November 26, 2020, 01:32:43 PM »

So they're ready to acknowledge Jerusalem not being the location of Mohammed's journey or whatever?
https://www.israelhayom.co.il/interactive/amp/article/823823
-- Dan

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11367 on: November 27, 2020, 09:25:20 AM »
Not one but two interesting articles from the Israeli sports world...

- Sheik Khalifa wants to buy 49% of Beitar Yerushalayim: https://www.ynet.co.il/sport/israelisoccer/article/HyXwfd09D
- UAE to send Judo team to a training camp in Israel - https://www.ynet.co.il/sport/article/HkPHu4R9D

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #11369 on: December 03, 2020, 12:22:08 AM »
https://amp.tmz.com/2020/12/02/ex-zappos-ceo-tony-hsieh-dead-died-no-will-family/

I like to phrase this differently. EVERYONE has a written legal will. If they didn't deliberately write and execute one on their own, their respective state legislature has a default will written for them. Most people who find out what their will says and it's implications, will choose to take action and write their own plan.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #11370 on: December 03, 2020, 08:50:37 AM »
https://amp.tmz.com/2020/12/02/ex-zappos-ceo-tony-hsieh-dead-died-no-will-family/

I like to phrase this differently. EVERYONE has a written legal will. If they didn't deliberately write and execute one on their own, their respective state legislature has a default will written for them. Most people who find out what their will says and it's implications, will choose to take action and write their own plan.

I guess this will also plug a bit the federal budget hole, as there will be a significant estate tax bill due on this one (presumably most of the wealth in shares of AMZN, which might create some selling pressure, but I might be wrong).
-- Dan

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #11374 on: December 03, 2020, 02:11:09 PM »
זה לא יהיה, זה לא יקרה

ס.ס.ס.ר
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #11375 on: December 05, 2020, 07:30:07 PM »
I guess this will also plug a bit the federal budget hole, as there will be a significant estate tax bill due on this one (presumably most of the wealth in shares of AMZN, which might create some selling pressure, but I might be wrong).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/angelauyeung/2020/12/04/tony-hsiehs-american-tragedy-the-self-destructive-last-months-of-the-zappos-visionary/amp/
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #11376 on: December 05, 2020, 07:39:02 PM »
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
["-"]