Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2382061 times)

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #5561 on: December 18, 2016, 11:45:50 PM »
I thought it was a good thing, no?

"That is the attention-grabbing idea behind a project that aims to promote cultural understanding and dialogue by offering face-to-face encounters with Jews living in Germany."
Good intentions I believe, but no thank you.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: December 19, 2016, 10:16:02 AM »
Logged in at work this morning to a message - essentially damage control - from our CEO about this article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/18/us/insurance-policies-on-slaves-new-york-lifes-complicated-past.html?_r=0

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #5564 on: December 19, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »
Logged in at work this morning to a message - essentially damage control - from our CEO about this article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/18/us/insurance-policies-on-slaves-new-york-lifes-complicated-past.html?_r=0
The interesting thing is, that this would have made the company under those circumstances a P&C insurance company. As evidenced from the following paragraph, making the distinction between pure life insurance and Property insurance.

"Officials typically insured the lives of white customers for $1,000 to $5,000 in the early years. Slaves, on the other hand, were considered property under the law and were typically insured for about $400, the records show, and some for as little as $200."
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #5565 on: December 19, 2016, 12:45:09 PM »
The interesting thing is, that this would have made the company under those circumstances a P&C insurance company. As evidenced from the following paragraph, making the distinction between pure life insurance and Property insurance.

"Officials typically insured the lives of white customers for $1,000 to $5,000 in the early years. Slaves, on the other hand, were considered property under the law and were typically insured for about $400, the records show, and some for as little as $200."
Yes and no. One could argue that actuarially speaking, the difference between life and P&C is what the risk is. Since the risk is still mortality, it remains life and not P&C.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #5566 on: December 19, 2016, 12:57:50 PM »
Yes and no. One could argue that actuarially speaking, the difference between life and P&C is what the risk is. Since the risk is still mortality, it remains life and not P&C.
There's a reason why the insurance amounts are different.

I don't want to split hairs here, or have it sound wrong, but if one were to insure his cattle, what's the risk? Also, the insurable interest here was viewed as property (not that I know what insurable interest laws were back then), as opposed to "key person" which would be an acceptable life risk in today's day and age.
-- Dan

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: December 19, 2016, 01:23:52 PM »
There's a reason why the insurance amounts are different.

I don't want to split hairs here, or have it sound wrong, but if one were to insure his cattle, what's the risk? Also, the insurable interest here was viewed as property (not that I know what insurable interest laws were back then), as opposed to "key person" which would be an acceptable life risk in today's day and age.
We don't appear to be arguing. I wrote, yes and no. The no would be from an actuarial perspective (as I wrote), and your reply has no bearing on that statement.

Offline aro123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: December 19, 2016, 09:15:02 PM »
We don't appear to be arguing. I wrote, yes and no. The no would be from an actuarial perspective (as I wrote), and your reply has no bearing on that statement.
Not exactly. It's a totally different types of mortality risk. Would you say that insuring cattle against death is also life insurance? As horrible as it sounds, slaves were actually viewed as property.
-- Dan

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: December 19, 2016, 09:18:51 PM »
As horrible as it sounds, slaves were actually viewed as property.
You make it sound like some might not know this was the norm in our history at one point.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: December 19, 2016, 09:23:10 PM »
Not exactly. It's a totally different types of mortality risk. Would you say that insuring cattle against death is also life insurance? As horrible as it sounds, slaves were actually viewed as property.
I'm not an insurance person but it seems fundamentally different than life. Life needs to cover support for X years. Slave insurance should just cover replacement cost. P&C.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #5573 on: December 19, 2016, 09:24:33 PM »
You make it sound like some might not know this was the norm in our history at one point.
different things drive the point home fit distant people. For an insurance guy it will be insurance policies.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: December 19, 2016, 09:26:50 PM »
Well, the tone of the article makes it sound like NYL (in its original incarnation named the Nautilus Insurance Company) did something terrible by insuring slaves. As you have pointed out, it was quite the norm to view slaves as property. What I find odd is that a company in the life insurance business (and not in the property and casualty business) would engage in this type of insurance.
-- Dan

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: December 19, 2016, 10:57:26 PM »
Well, the tone of the article makes it sound like NYL (in its original incarnation named the Nautilus Insurance Company) did something terrible by insuring slaves. As you have pointed out, it was quite the norm to view slaves as property. What I find odd is that a company in the life insurance business (and not in the property and casualty business) would engage in this type of insurance.
Except it's not. Slave mortality would certainly have been more similar (even in those times when they were viewed as property) to that of free people than that of cattle. That would be born out both from a statistical perspective too, and to a lesser extent, from the fact that a life insurance company engaged in insuring slaves  :P

I'm not an insurance person but it seems fundamentally different than life. Life needs to cover support for X years. Slave insurance should just cover replacement cost. P&C.
It's funny you mention that, because in this way they're often more similar than you'd think - just not in a way that necessarily excludes cattle. The first reason for buying life insurance IMO is income replacement. Same is with the slave - replace the income/productivity lost. Either way, this doesn't change the categorization from an actuarial perspective. Like I said before, it's about the nature of the underlying risk.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: December 20, 2016, 01:42:07 AM »
Except it's not. Slave mortality would certainly have been more similar (even in those times when they were viewed as property) to that of free people than that of cattle. That would be born out both from a statistical perspective too, and to a lesser extent, from the fact that a life insurance company engaged in insuring slaves  :P
I don't know (and it might be interesting to find out) if they used different mortality tables or assumptions for slaves than they did for free people. One thing I am certain amount, back then there weren't any non-smoker or preferred health discounts. And while I did bring up cattle, I didn't intend to compare the life expectancy to that of a slave, but rather than it is a living being which is property.

From the article it seems like they didn't use different tables for slaves, and after a short period, payouts matched premiums.
-- Dan

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: December 20, 2016, 08:35:11 AM »
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/why-despite-the-complaints-of-many-mlb-players-are-actually-not-overpaid/

It's actually too obvious to be interesting, but it's shocking how many people don't understand this.
Same with the people crying for equal pay for male and female athletes
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: December 20, 2016, 08:58:32 AM »
Same with the people crying for equal pay for male and female athletes
Should the US women's soccer team players be paid more than the men's?
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(