Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2347324 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #6080 on: January 19, 2017, 11:11:19 AM »
Sounds nice but impractical as when one is sick they will fly to the other side of the world to find a better doctor rather than rely on Hashem through a board certified doctor locally.
I don't view that as a contradiction. Does it make it more difficult? Sure. I don't believe this dichotomy is limited to health. We are required to due hishtadlus, and doing more can in some ways be a manifestation of a lack of full belief in HKBH. The golden question of course, is where that line of proper/full hishtadlus is for any given scenario.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: January 19, 2017, 11:11:37 AM »
The torah is very sparse on its restrictions on non-jews. There are many things I wouldn't recommend to say the least but are not restricted by the torah for non-jews.

Yeah, go to a baseball game, eat some treifos and neveilas in a bun, kill yourself in the parking lot. Sounds like a typical gentile outing. S'shver tzu zein a Yid.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: January 19, 2017, 11:11:53 AM »
I fully understand and just having some fun. I said before I have to meet her Rabbi. If he will give me an exemption to be able to eat lobster I would sign up tomorrow.  :)
Maybe you'll covert and we get Chaim Moskowitz back

Offline Menachem613

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: January 19, 2017, 11:13:31 AM »
Maybe you'll covert and we get Chaim Moskowitz back

Isn't he back under another name, again?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6084 on: January 19, 2017, 11:13:44 AM »
adultery
Not really the right term. It's both broader and narrower than that.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #6085 on: January 19, 2017, 11:14:39 AM »
Not really the right term. It's both broader and narrower than that.
okay.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #6086 on: January 19, 2017, 11:27:36 AM »
So just take my Chinese finger trap analogy and flip it. (They had those in ZA growing up?)

But I don't see or hear a concerted effort to "keep pulling." The article in question is hardly going to be read by all that many people. Far more people are on community Facebook groups swapping bogus remedies and names of healers without anyone chiming in to say it's all bs. The only thing that elicits much of a reaction is vaccines, and you're certainly right, as mad as I or anyone else has gotten, I've never seen any single person be convinced. But keeping quiet or chilling out about it certainly hasn't increased vaccination rates either.

My question is not an argument, I'm genuinely wondering what methods would lead to better education and help reverse the distrust of doctors.

It's unfortunate that he is so busy using every opportunity to bash the "right wing" orthodox and the rabanim. This can actauly be an interesting debate and discussion. But the tone of his blog post distracts from meaningful conversation.
As an aside- did anyone else see the irony in him using the story of a girl who unfortunately lost her arm after not being vaccinated,  right after lambasting rabbis for solely following anectodle evidence ?

This is a good post. But I love the typo at the end. I'm thinking of starting a rationalist site: "Anectoadal Evidence - Random stories about frogs, and their life changing lessons"

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: January 19, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »
But I don't see or hear a concerted effort to "keep pulling." The article in question is hardly going to be read by all that many people. Far more people are on community Facebook groups swapping bogus remedies and names of healers without anyone chiming in to say it's all bs. The only thing that elicits much of a reaction is vaccines, and you're certainly right, as mad as I or anyone else has gotten, I've never seen any single person be convinced. But keeping quiet or chilling out about it certainly hasn't increased vaccination rates either.

My question is not an argument, I'm genuinely wondering what methods would lead to better education and help reverse the distrust of doctors.

This is a good post. But I love the typo at the end. I'm thinking of starting a rationalist site: "Anectoadal Evidence - Random stories about frogs, and their life changing lessons"
He took the approach of reticulating it. Ppl will need to look elsewhere for the facts.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: January 19, 2017, 11:35:51 AM »

I live and die by spell check/autocorrect! End of the day its all in hkbh hands, I just swipe close to the letters I think are correct.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: January 19, 2017, 11:42:24 AM »

I am sure you realize that many of the currently popular attitudes in the frum world are not based at all on halacha or hashkafa but actually come about as a reaction to the secularist agenda.

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #6090 on: January 19, 2017, 01:06:50 PM »
http://m.jpost.com/Diaspora/Report-Ivanka-Trump-gets-pass-to-travel-on-Shabbat-for-inauguration-478905#article=6023NjVBQ0U3MUFCMzYyM0E3MzY5NTY0RTkyQTUwRjAyRDQ=

#FakeNews

There is absolutely no reason to believe that the guy quoted in the article has any inside knowledge of any peak.

I put as much faith in that article as I put in these WhatsApp's I got from someone in response

[1/19, 10:40 AM] ***: the official inaguration ends @ 4pm, a hr plus b4 shkia
[1/19, 10:40 AM] ***: and it was done to acomodate them they cut down the parade to 90 min. from 2 hrs..

Offline aygart

• View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #6091 on: January 19, 2017, 04:04:39 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/19/obama-cracked-down-on-press-over-leaks-yet-is-freeing-chelsea-manning.html
On what planet should Manning be deemed a whistle-blower, as her lawyers are claiming? Yes, as Josh Earnest pointed out, Bradley Manning faced the music while Ed Snowden, our era’s other big leaker, fled to Russia. But since when is undergoing prosecution a talking point for having one’s sentence cut short?
How did U.S. soldiers fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan feel about Manning dumping out hundreds of thousands of military incident logs, even if some did show abuses by the Iraqis?
As the New York Times noted, “The disclosures set off a frantic scramble as Obama administration officials sought to minimize any potential harm, including getting to safety some foreigners in dangerous countries who were identified as having helped American troops or diplomats. Prosecutors, however, presented no evidence that anyone had been killed because of the leaks.” Well, then.
It was Eric Holder’s Justice Department that saw fit to secretly obtain personal records from the Associated Press and Fox’s James Rosen, without their knowledge, even labeling Rosen a co-conspirator.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6092 on: January 19, 2017, 04:13:48 PM »
You know what is odd that some here feel what Manning did was OK because of the greater good. That we need more people like Manning. I wonder if they feel the same way when the government breaks the law for the greater good.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline username

• View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #6093 on: January 19, 2017, 04:27:53 PM »
Mars
^^^

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: January 19, 2017, 04:54:06 PM »
You know what is odd that some here feel what Manning did was OK because of the greater good. That we need more people like Manning. I wonder if they feel the same way when the government breaks the law for the greater good.
With the govt there's a fear of abuse of power.

Online hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6095 on: January 19, 2017, 08:14:52 PM »
Ends justify the means...now, wherever did i hear those words?
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: January 19, 2017, 08:40:41 PM »
The government can't be trusted. Julian Assange, on the other hand...
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Online hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: January 19, 2017, 08:47:16 PM »
Please dont confuse the snowflakes with the facts.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: January 19, 2017, 09:16:31 PM »

Who thinks Manning was 100% right?
I know I've said otherwise and didn't see others say Manning is innocent.

I hope this is not another straw man.
Visibly Jewish

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: January 19, 2017, 09:29:28 PM »

What do you mean, Sean Hannity said he trusts him 100%...