Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2348022 times)

Online Boruch999

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #5341 on: September 24, 2016, 08:32:26 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
^^^

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: September 24, 2016, 09:30:53 PM »
So Reb Moshe's sons are choosing to hide this psak? Are you implying that not only are they hiding it, but that they're hiding it in order to torture women or to play fast and loose with halacha?

Why didn't Rav Moshe insist that couples should sign this agreement (which didn't really surface until several years after his passing)? Why is it that Rav Moshe's students have not taken on this mission, and instead left it to he the calling of a dying brand?
I'm not implying anything. The old printing of the Igros Moshe has the psak, the new one doesnt. Why does that mean I'm implying something other than what it says on its face? The Psak was controversial when he issued it and remains so today, but it is based in solid Halacha (which obviously doesnt need my approbation) and is just not the accepted view. R;' Moshe had issues with shabbos clocks for certain things too that we did not accept. I'm just saying the with regards to this issue there is a way around the prenup that would cause less controversy than the current position taken by the RCA. 
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #5344 on: September 24, 2016, 10:06:34 PM »
I'm not implying anything. The old printing of the Igros Moshe has the psak, the new one doesnt. Why does that mean I'm implying something other than what it says on its face? The Psak was controversial when he issued it and remains so today, but it is based in solid Halacha (which obviously doesnt need my approbation) and is just not the accepted view. R;' Moshe had issues with shabbos clocks for certain things too that we did not accept. I'm just saying the with regards to this issue there is a way around the prenup that would cause less controversy than the current position taken by the RCA. 
Even if R Moshe had given a full fledged endorsement that would still not be universally accepted.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: September 24, 2016, 10:08:31 PM »
Even if R Moshe had given a full fledged endorsement that would still not be universally accepted.
Correct, but its still a better eitzah then chashash mamzerim resulting from a get meusah.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline username

• View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #5346 on: September 24, 2016, 10:13:13 PM »
What siman is the tshuva?
^^^

Offline Freddie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #5348 on: September 25, 2016, 02:16:56 AM »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #5350 on: September 25, 2016, 05:08:42 PM »
aka Dexter Morgan
-1. Dexter is a forensic analyst, not a cleaner. If you want a TV forensic cleaner, check out Spotless.

Online Boruch999

• View Profile

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: September 28, 2016, 08:54:57 AM »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/house-asks-feds-to-stop-mailing-postcards-with-social-security-numbers-on-them/article/2602863
Garbage bill. Everyones social is requested by just about every institution and business that wants any ever so slight information on you. Your school, your cell provider and just about everyone else has your SSN, and is readily available to any minimum wage worker who works in that company. The mailman its the least of your worries.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: September 28, 2016, 10:00:27 AM »
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline blerbz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5355 on: September 28, 2016, 10:42:27 AM »
From a court decision which is kind of an 'interesting article':

US v. AMEX, 15-1672, 2016 WL 5349734, NYLJ 1202768610015, at *1 (2d Cir., September 26, 2016)

In contrast to Visa and MasterCard, Amex is a proprietary network that operates a "closed-loop" system. Within this closed loop, Amex acts not only as the middleman network but also as both the issuer and acquirer for the vast majority of transactions involving its cards.26 Therefore, in most cases,27 Amex maintains direct relationships with both its cardholders and merchants by "provid[ing] issuing services to cardholders, acquiring and processing services to merchants, and network services to both sides of the platform in order to facilitate the use and acceptance of its payment cards."28 Special App. 16. The Amex system is sometimes referred to as a "three-party" system because the network (i.e., Amex itself) serves as the only intermediary between the cardholder and merchant.

Within its closed-loop system, Amex directly sets the interchange fee so as to maximize profit.29 Setting the interchange fee also allows Amex to set the accompanying merchant-discount fee and cardholder benefits directly.30 Amex charges a single discount rate for all Amex card products, meaning that regardless of whether a cardholder uses Amex's highest rewards card or its lowest, the merchant still must pay the same fee in order to accept the Amex card.

Unlike Visa and MasterCard, which run "lend-centric" models deriving more than half their revenues from interest charged to cardholders for unpaid balances on the cardholder's charges for a given billing period, Amex runs a "spend-centric" model whose revenues are primarily dependent on merchant-discount fees. This model is critical to Amex's merchant value proposition, which is that merchants who accept Amex gain access to "marquee" cardholders who tend to spend more on both an annual and per-transaction basis than customers using alternative payment methods.31 Amex's model is also critical to its cardholder value proposition, which features a robust rewards program and numerous other benefits, including customer service, fraud protection, and purchase and return protection.

I'm thinking that Amex's lawyers did a good job convincing the court but that it is no longer true

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: September 28, 2016, 11:37:59 AM »
From a court decision which is kind of an 'interesting article':

US v. AMEX, 15-1672, 2016 WL 5349734, NYLJ 1202768610015, at *1 (2d Cir., September 26, 2016)

In contrast to Visa and MasterCard, Amex is a proprietary network that operates a "closed-loop" system. Within this closed loop, Amex acts not only as the middleman network but also as both the issuer and acquirer for the vast majority of transactions involving its cards.26 Therefore, in most cases,27 Amex maintains direct relationships with both its cardholders and merchants by "provid[ing] issuing services to cardholders, acquiring and processing services to merchants, and network services to both sides of the platform in order to facilitate the use and acceptance of its payment cards."28 Special App. 16. The Amex system is sometimes referred to as a "three-party" system because the network (i.e., Amex itself) serves as the only intermediary between the cardholder and merchant.

Within its closed-loop system, Amex directly sets the interchange fee so as to maximize profit.29 Setting the interchange fee also allows Amex to set the accompanying merchant-discount fee and cardholder benefits directly.30 Amex charges a single discount rate for all Amex card products, meaning that regardless of whether a cardholder uses Amex's highest rewards card or its lowest, the merchant still must pay the same fee in order to accept the Amex card.

Unlike Visa and MasterCard, which run "lend-centric" models deriving more than half their revenues from interest charged to cardholders for unpaid balances on the cardholder's charges for a given billing period, Amex runs a "spend-centric" model whose revenues are primarily dependent on merchant-discount fees. This model is critical to Amex's merchant value proposition, which is that merchants who accept Amex gain access to "marquee" cardholders who tend to spend more on both an annual and per-transaction basis than customers using alternative payment methods.31 Amex's model is also critical to its cardholder value proposition, which features a robust rewards program and numerous other benefits, including customer service, fraud protection, and purchase and return protection.

I'm thinking that Amex's lawyers did a good job convincing the court but that it is no longer true

which part

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile