Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2376523 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #6001 on: January 18, 2017, 10:02:31 AM »
And who released it to Wikileaks?

Mommy I didn't hit him my hand did.

Leaking and releasing are not the same thing.
I looked it up now and it seems that Wikileaks didn't actually release everything.
There is also legal distinction in regards to who he leaks to. If he put everything online for everyone to download, then I would call that releasing everything himself. If you consider Wikileaks to be like journalists (I do) then it's their responsibility to only release information that they deem legal to release. Leakers do this all the time, giving lots of information to journalists and only certain things get released.

A more apt analogy would be "Mommy I didn't hit him, but I helped Joe hit him."
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: January 18, 2017, 10:17:08 AM »
The problem is you feel it is a good cause. You feel it is 100% ethical and moral. My point is you, I or the president should not be making those decisions. We have a court system that is flawed at times but it is the best in the world. They make those decisions.

From the beginning I have said this is one law I would like to see changed. The president and governors should not have this power. That is not what I asked you. What if it was probation, 1 day in jail, 10, year, or years? What if was losing a job? How about being an outcast to your community? We all have different pressure points.

1. Wrong, you're confusing what I said about Manning and whistleblowers in general. Manning wasn't 100% right for what he did. He deserved some time and he paid for his actions. The problem I mentioned earlier is that other whistleblowers may be 100% ethically right for whistleblowing yet still face the full force of the law.

2. Court isn't about judging a persons ethics or morals. It's about judging whether a crime was committed. Obama was granted the power to judge ethical wrongdoings and he used that right to my satisfaction. If you ask me, that right was granted specifically because the court can't always get it right, they are bound by the law no matter how wrong it might be.

3. No one can claim to be smart enough to know how much they will suffer. The current laws are extremely complicated and almost never protect whistleblowers. You can probably understand how  that doesn't encourage whistleblowing.
Visibly Jewish

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #6003 on: January 18, 2017, 10:40:11 AM »
The problem is you feel it is a good cause. You feel it is 100% ethical and moral. My point is you, I or the president should not be making those decisions. We have a court system that is flawed at times but it is the best in the world. They make those decisions.
Our entire government is based on checks and balances. The Framers felt there needed to be a check on the court's power. Giving the Executive the power to pardon and commute is a reasonable check on that power and an easy way to right any injustices done by the courts as well as to judge when there are cases where it is in the interest of the country for an exception to be made.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: January 18, 2017, 10:48:03 AM »
Our entire government is based on checks and balances. The Framers felt there needed to be a check on the court's power. Giving the Executive the power to pardon and commute is a reasonable check on that power and an easy way to right any injustices done by the courts as well as to judge when there are cases where it is in the interest of the country for an exception to be made.

Well said.
Imagine someone like Rosa Parks got thrown in jail for sitting in front of the bus, using the white mans bathroom, and committing similar illegal activities. I would like my president to stand up for what's just and right and pardon the "criminal" instead of waiting for the civil rights act to get passed.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• View Profile

Offline Menachem613

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: January 18, 2017, 11:51:23 AM »
Can you define "fundamentalist"?
There are a strict list of rules and punishments are meted out to all infidels?

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: January 18, 2017, 02:19:31 PM »

Sounds like a yeshiva

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #6010 on: January 18, 2017, 02:47:37 PM »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: January 18, 2017, 03:28:57 PM »

If their biggest weapon is boycott, then their bite is really a bark, no biggle (relative to actual fundamentalists).
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: January 19, 2017, 12:08:12 AM »
@ScottAdamsSays has recently been taking on the issue of climate change. He's not taken a side, but claims that each side sounds reasonable, and that the contrarians are more persuasive.

So when the news came today about 2016 being the hottest year on record, I searched and searched for a contrarian opinion, and couldn't find until Scott retweeted one.

Think it's persuasive?

http://thefederalist.com/2017/01/18/nyt-hid-numbers-hottest-year-record/#.WH_Uwyn2WqM.twitter
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Online Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #6015 on: January 19, 2017, 02:40:57 AM »
@ScottAdamsSays has recently been taking on the issue of climate change. He's not taken a side, but claims that each side sounds reasonable, and that the contrarians are more persuasive.

So when the news came today about 2016 being the hottest year on record, I searched and searched for a contrarian opinion, and couldn't find until Scott retweeted one.

Think it's persuasive?

http://thefederalist.com/2017/01/18/nyt-hid-numbers-hottest-year-record/#.WH_Uwyn2WqM.twitter

The federalist.com is down........

Here's from googlecache:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:QuyzqJ5v_uIJ:thefederalist.com/2017/01/18/

Online Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #6016 on: January 19, 2017, 02:50:08 AM »

Think it's persuasive?

How many times has each side been caught lying, manipulating, and misrepresenting data? Sounding reasonable is a bit moot if you also disclose that you are using "adjusted" data. Of course, one side never discloses that.

Offline Sport

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: January 19, 2017, 08:05:07 AM »
http://www.rationalistjudaism.com/2017/01/when-rabbis-quack.html?m=1
Haven't seen the book.
But fwiu raiki was deemed impermissible by many poskim a few years ago. Including the eidah etc. Hard to understand all these haskamas... (Besides for R Kaminetzke).
I bet the book is nowhere near as extreme​ as the way it is portrayed by the blogger you linked to.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:22:20 AM by churnbabychurn »

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #6019 on: January 19, 2017, 08:12:42 AM »

Think it's persuasive?

similar to the way he endorsed Hillary?