Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2386451 times)

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #6921 on: May 04, 2017, 12:16:27 AM »
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #6922 on: May 04, 2017, 12:19:21 AM »
For all you know, that could be the future of private air travel.
Instead of purchasing a full aircraft individuals can have their own personalized modules easily swapped in to the more expensive body.

Right... they're going to reconfigure your private jet as a gym because for this flight you're in the mood of a workout. For the return you'll be in the mood for swimming, so they'll install the swimming pool module, and for your next flight you'll be in the mood for bowling, so they'll slide the pool out and install the bowling alley in instead. Sounds very plausible to me.

/sarcasm
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6923 on: May 04, 2017, 02:15:06 AM »
Right... they're going to reconfigure your private jet as a gym because for this flight you're in the mood of a workout. For the return you'll be in the mood for swimming, so they'll install the swimming pool module, and for your next flight you'll be in the mood for bowling, so they'll slide the pool out and install the bowling alley in instead. Sounds very plausible to me.

/sarcasm
Sure, scoff all of you want. The more I think about it the more plausible it sounds.
The same way containers are switched on and off semi-trailers you'll be able to just have them swap to your personalized cabin when you rent/lease instead of purchasing.

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6925 on: May 04, 2017, 07:34:49 AM »
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #6926 on: May 04, 2017, 07:36:06 AM »
http://abc7.com/travel/socal-family-thrown-off-overbooked-delta-flight-over-childs-seating/1951238/
Without watching the video, they kinda buried the lede - the ticket was in someone else's name, not the kid's. They probably won't even get any money for being bumped.

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6927 on: May 04, 2017, 07:51:38 AM »
http://abc7.com/travel/socal-family-thrown-off-overbooked-delta-flight-over-childs-seating/1951238/
Isn't what the guy was trying to do (having the little kid fly under someone else's ticket) against the CoC and illegal?

Older kid was a no-show. His ticket is invalidated.

Offline Boruch999

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6928 on: May 04, 2017, 08:07:01 AM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6929 on: May 04, 2017, 09:50:39 AM »
Big mistake was telling the agents about the incorrect name...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6930 on: May 04, 2017, 09:52:46 AM »
www.marketwatch.com/story/the-latest-american-status-symbol-metal-credit-cards-2017-04-25

Metal cards cost $30-$50 to make  :o ?
Nobody notices a CSR anyway.
The JPMR on the other hand gets a comment more often than not. If you're into that kind of thing.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #6931 on: May 04, 2017, 10:00:42 AM »

Yah, I wonder how the story went. They told about incorrect name, but asked for seat anyway, but then FAs kicked them out bec didn't have enough seats?

Either way, I absolutely do sympathize with the customers here. Obviously, this is nothing like the other story, but this is the type of routine abusive nonsense that you always deal with when you fly. Particularly if they owned up to the fact that older son wasn't on flight and <2 son was going to sit in his seat.  It's completely unreasonable for the airline to deny them that seat, and to make it a criminal matter is figuratively criminal.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6932 on: May 04, 2017, 10:02:23 AM »
Family was clearly wrong. They're not gonna make big bucks off this one.
Without watching the video, they kinda buried the lede - the ticket was in someone else's name, not the kid's. They probably won't even get any money for being bumped.
Isn't what the guy was trying to do (having the little kid fly under someone else's ticket) against the CoC and illegal?

Older kid was a no-show. His ticket is invalidated.
You are all missing the point. He paid for the seat.  :)
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #6933 on: May 04, 2017, 10:03:53 AM »
Either way, I absolutely do sympathize with the customers here. Obviously, this is nothing like the other story, but this is the type of routine abusive nonsense that you always deal with when you fly. Particularly if they owned up to the fact that older son wasn't on flight and <2 son was going to sit in his seat.  It's completely unreasonable for the airline to deny them that seat, and to make it a criminal matter is figuratively criminal.
This is the guy they should have broke his nose and dragged him down the isle instead of the doctor.  >:(
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6934 on: May 04, 2017, 10:14:23 AM »

Yah, I wonder how the story went. They told about incorrect name, but asked for seat anyway, but then FAs kicked them out bec didn't have enough seats?
They evidently didn't scan the boarding pass (and probably didn't even check in) of the son that didn't fly, so the manifest recognized the seat as empty and assigned one of the overbooked passengers to it. When that passenger went to his seat and found out occupied by someone who refused give it up, he likely went to the FAs for assistance.

The non transferability of airline tickets is absurd, and exists only to increase the airlines profitability. It has absolutely zero with safety. Nonetheless, that is already an accepted rule that the public seems resigned to for the most part. It's unlikely that the family will garner too much outrage by having been inconvenienced by this rule.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6935 on: May 04, 2017, 10:15:04 AM »
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6936 on: May 04, 2017, 10:25:40 AM »
seems like staff needs to be trained properly
"The airline staff tells him they need the seat because the flight is overbooked and the original passenger whose name was on the seat isn't using it. One airline employee tells him that under FAA regulations, 2-year-old children are not supposed to have their own seats at all and are supposed to sit in parents' laps for the duration of the flight.

"With him being two, he cannot sit in the car seat," one airline employee tells him. "He has to sit in your arms the whole time."

The accuracy of that statement is not entirely clear, as the websites for both the FAA and Delta appear to encourage parents to buy separate seats for young children and use a child safety restraint system."

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #6937 on: May 04, 2017, 10:25:56 AM »

The non transferability of airline tickets is absurd, and exists only to increase the airlines profitability. It has absolutely zero with safety. Nonetheless, that is already an accepted rule that the public seems resigned to for the most part. It's unlikely that the family will garner too much outrage by having been inconvenienced by this rule.

This seems a little different than buying a ticket on stubhub, and even much different than if they would have tried to bring 16 year old son instead of 12 year old son. 

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #6938 on: May 04, 2017, 10:27:36 AM »
seems like staff needs to be trained properly
"The airline staff tells him they need the seat because the flight is overbooked and the original passenger whose name was on the seat isn't using it. One airline employee tells him that under FAA regulations, 2-year-old children are not supposed to have their own seats at all and are supposed to sit in parents' laps for the duration of the flight.

"With him being two, he cannot sit in the car seat," one airline employee tells him. "He has to sit in your arms the whole time."

The accuracy of that statement is not entirely clear, as the websites for both the FAA and Delta appear to encourage parents to buy separate seats for young children and use a child safety restraint system."

Yah, I once had an Air Canada FA insist that I take my sleeping baby out of the car seat for landing, because "it's not safe to be in carseat during landing."  I didn't want to be arrested, so I just did it.  Then she had the chutzpah to come back and tell me that it's safer if I hold him differently than I was.

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6939 on: May 04, 2017, 10:42:17 AM »
They evidently didn't scan the boarding pass (and probably didn't even check in) of the son that didn't fly, so the manifest recognized the seat as empty and assigned one of the overbooked passengers to it. When that passenger went to his seat and found out occupied by someone who refused give it up, he likely went to the FAs for assistance.
+1

Dad should have checked in online for son and had BP on hand, then scanned the BP as the 2 year old when boarding.