Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2347445 times)

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #7240 on: June 20, 2017, 12:36:54 PM »
Climbing Down Into Airline Hell, Year by Year https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-06-20/climbing-down-into-airline-hell-year-by-year

"...You get what you pay for! The airlines, realizing that they’d never make money in a deregulated environment with only 60 percent of their seats filled, shrank their fleets even as they accommodated more passengers."
Thanks to: Tucker Van Eck, Joe Brancatelli, Joe Sharkey, R.D. Sussmann-Dewberry, Brett Snyder (“The Cranky Flier”), Scott McCartney’s “Middle Seat” column in the Wall Street Journal, Airlines For America, The Bureau for Transportation Statistics, Jami Counter, Daniel Eleff, Ed Perkins, George Hobica, Henry Harteveldt and Paul Hudson.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #7243 on: June 20, 2017, 05:55:00 PM »
-- Dan

Offline Boruch999

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: June 22, 2017, 07:15:17 AM »
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/21/world/middleeast/israeli-woman-who-sued-el-al-for-sexism-wins-landmark-ruling.html
Pointless and futile ruling. She's happy that she got a "win" for the reform movement but nothing will change (and it shouldn't need to).
They never demand that anyone switch seats.  Instead of kindly asking to be switched now based on gender they will just ask to switch based on wanting to sit next to someone else specifically the same way its no normal and accepted to ask to switch to sit near family .

Offline nescafe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: June 22, 2017, 12:12:46 PM »
Pointless and futile ruling. She's happy that she got a "win" for the reform movement but nothing will change (and it shouldn't need to).
They never demand that anyone switch seats.  Instead of kindly asking to be switched now based on gender they will just ask to switch based on wanting to sit next to someone else specifically the same way its no normal and accepted to ask to switch to sit near family .
+1

If asked politely it's no different then being asked to change seats for a family member etc. I don't get it.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #7249 on: June 22, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »
I thought the whole point of the article being posted here was for the final paragraph:

...Ms. Rabinowitz, who lives in an assisted-living facility in Jerusalem, said that she was thinking of flying to the United States next winter but that she had not yet decided which airline to use. “I would have no problem flying with El Al,” she said. “But it depends on who has the best deal.”

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: June 22, 2017, 12:41:50 PM »
This is one case where all parties are wrong.
The person asking that she be moved was wrong (if indeed events occurred as described).
Airline was wrong for not suggesting the he move, rather than ask her to move, and later to agree to the settlement.
She's wrong for making a huge issue out of this. No one forced her to do anything, what's wrong with asking, even if the request is ridiculous and obnoxious. She could have just said no, if she didn't want to.
Court is wrong for playing into this nonsense and not just tossing it out right away.
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #7251 on: June 22, 2017, 12:44:23 PM »
Court is wrong for playing into this nonsense and not just tossing it out right away.
Israeli courts?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #7252 on: June 22, 2017, 12:44:52 PM »
This is one case where all parties are wrong.
The person asking that she be moved was wrong (if indeed events occurred as described).
Airline was wrong for not suggesting the he move, rather than ask her to move, and later to agree to the settlement.
She's wrong for making a huge issue out of this. No one forced her to do anything, what's wrong with asking, even if the request is ridiculous and obnoxious. She could have just said no, if she didn't want to.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/dansdeals/permalink/10155208585211041/?comment_id=10155210585571041&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R%22%7D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: June 22, 2017, 12:52:30 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/groups/dansdeals/permalink/10155208585211041/?comment_id=10155210585571041&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R%22%7D
In response to the question posted there: "Why would the air crew not have figured that out themselves? There was no need to even ask her--it should have been between them and the gentleman."

The simple answer is because it's ELAL, who simply have a bad company DNA as I have written somewhere else in these forums.
-- Dan

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: June 22, 2017, 12:58:29 PM »

So much hate in FB comments.... and the chassidish guys are not even there to try and defend themselves. At least their listing to their Rabbonim and aren't on FB.

I have seen lots of frum ppl asking to be seated and it's always the frum guy looking for a new seat. What can happen is that the flight crew has a plan that involves moving the female.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: June 22, 2017, 01:00:47 PM »

So much hate in FB comments.... and the chassidish guys are not even there to try and defend themselves. At least their listing to their Rabbonim and aren't on FB.

I have seen lots of frum ppl asking to be seated and it's always the frum guy looking for a new seat. What can happen is that the flight crew has a plan that involves moving the female.
The entire lawsuit was without any merit. Unfortunately the court probably shares the agenda, or is scared of the radical reform/left wing.
-- Dan

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: June 22, 2017, 02:14:21 PM »
Climbing Down Into Airline Hell, Year by Year https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-06-20/climbing-down-into-airline-hell-year-by-year

"...You get what you pay for! The airlines, realizing that they’d never make money in a deregulated environment with only 60 percent of their seats filled, shrank their fleets even as they accommodated more passengers."

Thanks for sharing, interesting, thorough, and probably more accurate than 99% of news articles on the topic.

ETA: He should include metrics for airline profit margin per passenger-mile-flown (or whatever the technical name for the KPI is)

ETA2: The price of oil is probably also a major factor in profit margin I see it mentioned where it matters.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:21:29 PM by AsherO »
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: June 22, 2017, 05:06:00 PM »
Airline obviously wanted a judgment against them, so they would have an excuse to stop helping.

Offline Moes Tavern

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite
"I've done some things I'm not proud of, and the things I am proud of are pretty disgusting"

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: June 23, 2017, 09:22:45 AM »
-- Dan