Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2390705 times)

Offline sguitarist18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #7420 on: July 18, 2017, 08:16:09 AM »
Apple announced new emojis, including a hijab emolji. What about a yarmulkahttp://bit.ly/NewEmoljisComing

The real question is, what does that express?

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: July 18, 2017, 08:19:25 AM »
The real question is, what does that express?
That iPhones will follow Samsung, and their phones will randomly start blowing up.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #7422 on: July 18, 2017, 03:35:27 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/opinion/if-you-could-be-someone-else-would-you.html

Don't try to be someone else , be who you are because everyone else is taken. @myi
To add to this here's a beautiful little story..

Value your life

A little boy went to his grandfather and asked him, "What is the value of life grandfather?"

The grandfather gave him a stone and said, "First I want you to find out the value of this stone, but don't sell it."

The boy took the stone to a fruit vendor and asked him what its value would be.

The vendor saw the shiny stone and said, "How about you can take a dozen apples and give me the stone."

The boy apologized and said that his grandfather had asked him not to sell it.

He went ahead and found a vegetable vendor.

"What could be the value of this stone?" he asked the vegetable vendor.

He saw the shiny stone and said, "How about you take a sack of potatoes and give me that stone."

The boy again apologized and said he couldn't sell it.

Further ahead, he went into a jewelry shop and asked the value of the stone.

The jeweler saw the stone under a lens and said, "I will give you one million dollars for this stone."

The boy was surprised, but explained that he couldn't sell the stone.

Further ahead, the boy saw a large shop of precious stones and asked the value of this stone.

When the precious stone shop owner was an expert in these matters. When he saw the stone, he lay down a cloth and put it on it.

Then he walked in circles around the stone and bent down and scratched his head in front of it. "From where did you bring this priceless uncut diamond from?" he asked.

"Even if I sell everything I own, my whole shop, I won't be able to purchase this priceless diamond."

Stunned and confused, the boy returned to his grandfather and told him what had happened.

His grandfather said,

"The answers you got from the fruit vendor, the vegetable vendor, the jeweler and the precious stone's expert explain the value of our life.

You may be a precious stone, even priceless, but, people will value you based on their own limited perceptions, beliefs, motives and expectations. How they value you says more about them than it does about you!

For this reason it is important to value yourself. Respect yourself. No longer indulge in meaningless comparisons with others. For you are unique, original and the only one of your kind in this universe. This is the value of your life.

Associate ever more with those who recognize your true value and ever less with those who see you just as a means to fulfill their own dreams and ambitions.

May you value the diamond in yourself and recognize the diamond in others as well.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #7427 on: July 19, 2017, 11:41:21 AM »

Value your life

A little boy went to his grandfather and asked him, "What is the value of life grandfather?"

The grandfather gave him a stone and said, "First I want you to find out the value of this stone, but don't sell it."

The vendor saw the shiny stone and said, "How about you can take a dozen apples and give me the stone."

He saw the shiny stone and said, "How about you take a sack of potatoes and give me that stone."

The jeweler saw the stone under a lens and said, "I will give you one million dollars for this stone."

Further ahead, the boy saw a large shop of precious stones and asked the value of this stone.

When the precious stone shop owner was an expert in these matters. When he saw the stone, he lay down a cloth and put it on it.

Then he walked in circles around the stone and bent down and scratched his head in front of it. "From where did you bring this priceless uncut diamond from?" he asked.

"Even if I sell everything I own, my whole shop, I won't be able to purchase this priceless diamond."

Stunned and confused, the boy returned to his grandfather and told him what had happened.

His grandfather said,

"The answers you got from the fruit vendor, the vegetable vendor, the jeweler and the precious stone's expert explain the value of our life.

You may be a precious stone, even priceless, but, people will value you based on their own limited perceptions, beliefs, motives and expectations. How they value you says more about them than it does about you!

For this reason it is important to value yourself. Respect yourself. No longer indulge in meaningless comparisons with others. For you are unique, original and the only one of your kind in this universe. This is the value of your life.

Associate ever more with those who recognize your true value and ever less with those who see you just as a means to fulfill their own dreams and ambitions.

May you value the diamond in yourself and recognize the diamond in others as well.

This seems plagiarized and modified from a famous story in gemara. Can you find the story?

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: July 19, 2017, 12:15:47 PM »

Value your life

His grandfather said,

I don't get it.  Who are you supposed to ask to value yourself? 

Offline myi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #7430 on: July 19, 2017, 03:20:03 PM »
I don't get it.  Who are you supposed to ask to value yourself?
"For this reason it is important to value yourself. Respect yourself. No longer indulge in meaningless comparisons with others. For you are unique, original and the only one of your kind in this universe. This is the value of your life.

Associate ever more with those who recognize your true value and ever less with those who see you just as a means to fulfill their own dreams and ambitions."
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: July 19, 2017, 03:46:39 PM »
"For this reason it is important to value yourself. Respect yourself. No longer indulge in meaningless comparisons with others. For you are unique, original and the only one of your kind in this universe. This is the value of your life.

Associate ever more with those who recognize your true value and ever less with those who see you just as a means to fulfill their own dreams and ambitions."

Who do you ask to value you?  Who is the diamond dealer in the moshol, who can tell if you are an uncut diamond or an uncut elephant, or a cut diamond that is worthless anyway?

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: July 19, 2017, 04:15:05 PM »
Who do you ask to value you?  Who is the diamond dealer in the moshol, who can tell if you are an uncut diamond or an uncut elephant, or a cut diamond that is worthless anyway?
Ask me. You're a henche.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: July 19, 2017, 06:01:00 PM »
Ask me. You're a henche.

It's a bigger question than I was even saying. In the moshol, you go to a diamond dealer bec it's a diamond. If it was a tomato, you'd have gone a vegetable seller.  But how do you know if it is a diamond or a tomato?

So I think you should pay careful attention to what everyone thinks of you, and average it.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #7434 on: July 19, 2017, 08:20:33 PM »
It's a bigger question than I was even saying. In the moshol, you go to a diamond dealer bec it's a diamond. If it was a tomato, you'd have gone a vegetable seller.  But how do you know if it is a diamond or a tomato?

So I think you should pay careful attention to what everyone thinks of you, and average it.
Yehuda57 went to his wife and asked, "What am I worth?"
She looked at the screaming infant she needed to nurse, looked back at him and scoffed, "not a thing."
Unperturbed, he asked his infant child, "What am I worth?"
The child continued screaming.
He walked to his 6 year old daughter and asked, "What am I worth?"
She answered, "can I wear a crown to school tomorrow?" and before he could even answer, she continued, "why is the table brown? Can we have triplets? How do you spell morah? Do you know what happened in school today? My friend drank a whole bottle of water. Can you drink a whole bottle of water?"
"Why yes I can," he answered. "So what am I worth?"
With nary a shrug, she ran off to draw on the walls or something.
Just then, his phone buzzed, and he told his boss he wouldn't have the project completed 'til 9 the next morning. "but what am I worth?" he asked.
"Nothing' til 9 tomorrow."
He logged on to DDF, clicked on his profile and began to smile when he saw 5 Hat Tips and 148 likes.
He divided those between the hundreds upon hundreds of hours spent on DDF and his cheekbones took a sudden downward turn.

So, averaging everyone out, and accounting for DDF's lack of a "dislike" button, he's worth a scoff, a shrug, and occasional nod.

At least, that is, until 9 tomorrow.

Offline TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7435 on: July 19, 2017, 08:46:02 PM »
Okayyy

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: July 19, 2017, 09:10:22 PM »
Yehuda57 went to his wife and asked, "What am I worth?"
She looked at the screaming infant she needed to nurse, looked back at him and scoffed, "not a thing."
Unperturbed, he asked his infant child, "What am I worth?"
The child continued screaming.
He walked to his 6 year old daughter and asked, "What am I worth?"
She answered, "can I wear a crown to school tomorrow?" and before he could even answer, she continued, "why is the table brown? Can we have triplets? How do you spell morah? Do you know what happened in school today? My friend drank a whole bottle of water. Can you drink a whole bottle of water?"
"Why yes I can," he answered. "So what am I worth?"
With nary a shrug, she ran off to draw on the walls or something.
Just then, his phone buzzed, and he told his boss he wouldn't have the project completed 'til 9 the next morning. "but what am I worth?" he asked.
"Nothing' til 9 tomorrow."
He logged on to DDF, clicked on his profile and began to smile when he saw 5 Hat Tips and 148 likes.
He divided those between the hundreds upon hundreds of hours spent on DDF and his cheekbones took a sudden downward turn.

So, averaging everyone out, and accounting for DDF's lack of a "dislike" button, he's worth a scoff, a shrug, and occasional nod.

At least, that is, until 9 tomorrow.
Please update us at 9. Is that eastern time?

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: July 20, 2017, 10:52:03 AM »
Please update us at 9. Is that eastern time?
@Yehuda57 update?

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #7439 on: July 20, 2017, 11:27:33 AM »
@Yehuda57 update?

Considering some of the projects I'm behind on involve a few DDFers, it's probably best not to answer that question.