Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2348167 times)

Offline Boruch999

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #9160 on: June 27, 2018, 09:49:34 AM »
You can challenge the EO in federal court on a case by case basis. You need to show you are not a security risk.

OK.  I think the EO itself allows for individuals to apply for special waivers.

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9161 on: June 27, 2018, 10:25:38 AM »
and seats are comfortable (you bet they will be for a premium business product like this)
Right, just like the Concorde.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #9162 on: June 27, 2018, 10:27:24 AM »
I personally would rather sit in a j seat for 8 hours than a y for 2, but that could just be me...

What would you rather ?
That's insane.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #9163 on: June 27, 2018, 10:28:20 AM »
IINM the #1 reason was that the economics just didn't make any sense. It was a fuel guzzler, and was subsidized for keeping the prestige. At some point the appetite for that went away, along with restrictions on where it could fly. It's actually a wonder that it lasted that long.
Nope. Before AF4590 the programme was consistently profitable for BA.
The crash and post 9/11 travel slump did it in.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #9164 on: June 27, 2018, 10:43:44 AM »
Can you link to the text were it says "only G-d" as mine does not say that. My reading is pretty clear that Samuel should not consider his appearance but what is in his heart.

I added "Only G-d" in parentheses as it is not part of the text. Your reading seems to be confusing prophecy with judgment. Samuel is being told that the selection of the next king cannot be done by human judgment, but will rather be by prophecy from G-d. This is evidenced by the following verses. Nothing is being left to Samuel's consideration. The selection is purely by prophecy, which can only come from G-d.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #9165 on: June 27, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »
Nope. Before AF4590 the programme was consistently profitable for BA.
The crash and post 9/11 travel slump did it in.
Source? (I know I didn't provide one for my claim, but I qualified it with "IINM" as I seem to remember reading that in the past.)

Might have been profitable for BA due to subsidies. What about AF? Was it profitable there?

What about high fuel costs on top of post 9/11 travel slump?
-- Dan

Offline Abey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9166 on: June 27, 2018, 11:16:42 AM »
That's insane.
Ok how about an ek f for 12 hours vs. a domestic j seat for 3 ? And how much of a premium would airlines be able to charge for those?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9167 on: June 27, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »
Ok how about an ek f for 12 hours vs. a domestic j seat for 3 ? And how much of a premium would airlines be able to charge for those?
You're asking would I fly NYC-MXP-MIA in EK F if they had a routing like that or if I'd fly NYC-MIA nonstop in domestic F?
If I was still a bochur I'd choose the former. But most sane people will choose the latter.

Offline Abey

• View Profile
« Reply #9168 on: June 27, 2018, 11:26:35 AM »
I’m not an economist, but this is how I see it:
Even if, all in all the price of flying a square foot is the same in these planes, including time gained on aircraft and crew maintenance gas etc.
1.You would still be dealing with a plane smaller than a 737.
2.most y pax are equating comfort=$ and that includes saving time,how much of a premium would they be willing to pay to get ny-Lon in 2 hours ? (I don’t think more than 25%)
3. How much premium pax would be willing to pay for a j seat which would mean significant space used or a domestic f seat
While these are arguable, the only way I think this can work, is if it’s cheaper than the current price of flying a square foot, which I don’t think is happening anytime soon.
Feel free to argue

Offline Abey

• View Profile
« Reply #9169 on: June 27, 2018, 11:27:59 AM »
You're asking would I fly NYC-MXP-MIA in EK F if they had a routing like that or if I'd fly NYC-MIA nonstop in domestic F?
If I was still a bochur I'd choose the former. But most sane people will choose the latter.
I’m asking, if this is introduced today on Nyc -dxb which one would you pick ?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #9170 on: June 27, 2018, 11:29:54 AM »

How about my son going on Merkos Shlichus JFK-DOH-KBP because it's a few hundred $ cheaper than any other more direct option?

The world of Bochurim is a totally different world than the world of working people or even non-working responsible adults.
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9171 on: June 27, 2018, 11:31:18 AM »
I’m asking, if this is introduced today on Nyc -dxb which one would you pick ?
How is that different than my example??

Offline Abey

• View Profile
« Reply #9172 on: June 27, 2018, 11:31:48 AM »
How is that different than my example??
Stopover and you’re giving a much longer example

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #9173 on: June 27, 2018, 11:32:49 AM »
Even if, all in all the price of flying a square foot is the same in these planes, including time gained on aircraft and crew maintenance gas etc.
2.most y pax are equating comfort=$ and that includes saving time,how much of a premium would they be willing to pay to get ny-Lon in 2 hours ? (I don’t think more than 25%)
3. How much premium pax would be willing to pay for a j seat which would mean significant space used or a domestic f seat
While these are arguable, the only way I think this can work, is if it’s cheaper than the current price of flying a square foot, which I don’t think is happening anytime soon.
Feel free to argue

I think you might be missing the point of the target audience for this. This is targeted towards a very specific segment that sees tremendous value in being able to be in NY (or DC, or possibly other locations) and in LON (or PAR, FRA, ZRH, GVA, etc.) on the same day.
-- Dan

Offline Abey

• View Profile
« Reply #9174 on: June 27, 2018, 11:35:30 AM »
I think you might be missing the point of the target audience for this. This is targeted towards a very specific segment that sees tremendous value in being able to be in NY (or DC, or possibly other locations) and in LON (or PAR, FRA, ZRH, GVA, etc.) on the same day.
And my point is that, that market is not big enough to overweight the :business people who are not in a mad rush and would rather enjoy a comfortable seat AND y pax
So that leaves a pretty small market and I don’t think airlines are going to change operations for such a market

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #9175 on: June 27, 2018, 11:36:57 AM »
And my point is that, that market is not big enough to overweight the :business people who are not in a mad rush and would rather enjoy a comfortable seat AND y pax
So that leaves a pretty small market and I don’t think airlines are going to change operations for such a market

It wouldn't be replacing the existing J/F market, it's about creating something for a certain limited niche.
-- Dan

Online shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9176 on: June 27, 2018, 11:39:09 AM »
Feel free to argue
For concorde people paid $10,000+ why is this different?

Offline Abey

• View Profile
« Reply #9177 on: June 27, 2018, 11:43:58 AM »
For concorde people paid $10,000+ why is this different?
is the concord still around
It wouldn't be replacing the existing J/F market, it's about creating something for a certain limited niche.
This market has to be big enough for airlines to supplement current j/f service with super speed service and I don’t think it is. besides the fact I think that such an operation would be a mammoth undertaking in terms of maintenance which would hike the prices even more making this a very very niche market

Online shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9178 on: June 27, 2018, 11:47:34 AM »
is the concord still around
For other reasons as Dan wrote.

Offline Abey

• View Profile
« Reply #9179 on: June 27, 2018, 11:50:20 AM »
For other reasons as Dan wrote.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2003/10/24/nyregion/for-concorde-economics-trumped-technology.html
“Part of the reason the airlines could claim some profitability on the Concorde was because they did not have to incur capital costs on the planes.”
As I said the only way this could be judged if would be profitable is to know the operating costs,which we don’t yet.
In any case I think it will be many more years before regular travelers fly supersonic