Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2348467 times)

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #10483 on: October 02, 2019, 05:36:16 PM »
Just when you think you've seen it all...
Is there a cure for stupidity?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10484 on: October 02, 2019, 05:44:35 PM »
Used to be.

Was called survival of the fittest.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #10485 on: October 02, 2019, 05:46:55 PM »
Seems to be more elusive than alchemy.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #10486 on: October 04, 2019, 01:19:17 PM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-home-smart-system-that-helps-with-religious-observances-11570026331

It's cool, but at $250K I think I'm happier with my $10 shunt switches.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #10487 on: October 04, 2019, 01:26:21 PM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-home-smart-system-that-helps-with-religious-observances-11570026331

It's cool, but at $250K I think I'm happier with my $10 shunt switches.

Back in the early 90s, way before Wifi or any smart switches were ubiquitous, my boss (at that time) built a home in Boro Park and installed a smart home controller (IIRC was designed by someone from Baltimore) that did a lot of fancy things relating to Shabbos and YT. A few minutes before Candle lighting time it would flash all the lights in the house to alert everyone, it would put Sub Zero refrigerator on Shabbos mode (back then I think it was one of the only ones that had a Shabbos mode), etc. etc. It was a DOS based system and once set-up, didn't need to be adjusted. I remember getting somewhat of a sticker shock back then when I heard how much it cost, but it was definitely nowhere close to $250,000 (probably a tenth of that or less).
-- Dan

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10488 on: October 04, 2019, 02:01:16 PM »
Back in the early 90s, way before Wifi or any smart switches were ubiquitous, my boss (at that time) built a home in Boro Park and installed a smart home controller (IIRC was designed by someone from Baltimore) that did a lot of fancy things relating to Shabbos and YT. A few minutes before Candle lighting time it would flash all the lights in the house to alert everyone, it would put Sub Zero refrigerator on Shabbos mode (back then I think it was one of the only ones that had a Shabbos mode), etc. etc. It was a DOS based system and once set-up, didn't need to be adjusted. I remember getting somewhat of a sticker shock back then when I heard how much it cost, but it was definitely nowhere close to $250,000 (probably a tenth of that or less).
Most likely X10 based. There were some people in my neighborhood growing up that had systems like that.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #10489 on: October 04, 2019, 02:26:40 PM »
Most likely X10 based. There were some people in my neighborhood growing up that had systems like that.

Correct.
-- Dan

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10490 on: October 04, 2019, 02:36:04 PM »
Back in the early 90s ... I remember getting somewhat of a sticker shock back then when I heard how much it cost, but it was definitely nowhere close to $250,000 (probably a tenth of that or less).
we had an x10 based system in my house back then. I can't imagine my father spent anywhere close to 25k on it.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #10491 on: October 04, 2019, 02:37:32 PM »
we had an x10 based system in my house back then. I can't imagine my father spent anywhere close to 25k on it.

I really can't recall the price paid back then, but a big part of the cost was for the software/developer/controller rather than the actual switches.

Also don't forget that the purchasing power of the dollar has declined significantly since then (back then I had $500k in life insurance and thought I was set for life...).
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #10494 on: October 07, 2019, 10:30:09 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-06/this-is-the-right-way-to-use-an-escalator?srnd=premium
Not the first time I've seen this sentiment in an article, but there are so many weird things about this strange approach. First of all, in any scenario where a person has space in front of them, it's faster for them and for the whole crowd for them to walk instead of stand. The 'issue' is that there's a social norm that the standers only use one lane, which leads to delays when there are more standers than one lane can accommodate. The solution is not to encourage people to stand, the solution is to allow people to stand on both sides when there's a crowd forming at the escalator entrance.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #10495 on: October 07, 2019, 10:39:20 AM »
Not the first time I've seen this sentiment in an article, but there are so many weird things about this strange approach. First of all, in any scenario where a person has space in front of them, it's faster for them and for the whole crowd for them to walk instead of stand. The 'issue' is that there's a social norm that the standers only use one lane, which leads to delays when there are more standers than one lane can accommodate. The solution is not to encourage people to stand, the solution is to allow people to stand on both sides when there's a crowd forming at the escalator entrance.

Looking at this in terms of averages, or forcing people to do anything other than what is considered courteous norm, is simply wrong.

Some people prefer to stand on escalators, while some prefer to walk. They are both legitimate approaches, and should be allowed to coexist with tolerance without disturbing each other.
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #10496 on: October 07, 2019, 10:41:37 AM »

Looking at this in terms of averages, or forcing people to do anything other than what is considered courteous norm, is simply wrong.

Some people prefer to stand on escalators, while some prefer to walk. They are both legitimate approaches, and should be allowed to coexist with tolerance without disturbing each other.
Except that if the need to accomodate the walkers saving 10 seconds makes a whole backup and delays the standers by 1.3 minutes for their 10 seconds I would call that the walkers disturbing the standers.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #10497 on: October 07, 2019, 10:45:07 AM »

They cannot coexist with tolerance. To give the obvious extreme, if 10% walk and 90% stand, then creating a rule (or even a social norm) that one side is for walking and one side is for standing will obviously impose the needs on the small number of walkers to the detriment of the much larger group of standers. And if you remove that norm entirely, you end up having standers on both sides blocking the way for walkers all the time.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #10498 on: October 07, 2019, 11:02:04 AM »
Except that if the need to accomodate the walkers saving 10 seconds makes a whole backup and delays the standers by 1.3 minutes for their 10 seconds I would call that the walkers disturbing the standers.
As long as walkers have an alternative, such as a regular staircase. I don't think the choice of whether to walk or stand has much to do with time, it's a matter of comfort and preference. It's also very possible that the walkers cherish their 10 seconds gained more than the sanders care about an extra minute standing.
-- Dan

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #10499 on: October 07, 2019, 11:05:36 AM »
As long as walkers have an alternative, such as a regular staircase. I don't think the choice of whether to walk or stand has much to do with time, it's a matter of comfort and preference. It's also very possible that the walkers cherish their 10 seconds gained more than the sanders care about an extra minute standing.
You must not take the subway often.