Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2375900 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #10881 on: February 06, 2020, 01:12:31 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/05/nyregion/nyc-landlord-rental-broker-fees.html

Wow. In one swoosh, a (somewhat shady) industry fundamentally transformed.

The big difference between Landlords paying the fee to the (residential) tenants paying the fee is in whether a 1099 will be issued. HUGE hit to the brokers.

The other difference being that the tenant seeking an apartment is likely to have a one time or short time relationship, whereas the landlords would have a longer relationship, which would come into play in negotiating fees as well as rental rates.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #10882 on: February 09, 2020, 05:37:16 AM »
-- Dan

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #10883 on: February 09, 2020, 01:17:34 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-09/energy-markets-need-winter-and-climate-change-is-taking-it-away

This year’s especially warm winter was triggered by events in the Arctic. An intense weather pattern there kept the cold locked in the Arctic region, leaving North America and Eurasia relatively mild.

“When the winds are stronger they act as a barrier to keep Arctic air focused over the pole and keeps them from spilling southward,” said Bradley Harvey, a meteorologist with Maxar in Gaithersburg, Maryland. “That is likely to continue for the balance of the month and even into March.”

So, when 5 and 6 years ago and to a lesser extent 3 years ago when the polar vortex came south it was because of climate change. When the winds keep it up north it is also due to climate change. Sounds legit.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ltttc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10884 on: February 09, 2020, 02:22:20 PM »
Love the mild winters no matter what the cause  ;D

Online cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10885 on: February 09, 2020, 04:46:29 PM »
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10886 on: February 09, 2020, 05:52:22 PM »

So, when 5 and 6 years ago and to a lesser extent 3 years ago when the polar vortex came south it was because of climate change. When the winds keep it up north it is also due to climate change. Sounds legit.
Exactly the reason for shifting the term from global warming to climate change.

(We know it as "say it's a מחלוקת הפוסקים and you won't go wrong")

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10888 on: February 10, 2020, 11:45:38 AM »
What idiots!:

In vast breach, Likud campaign leaks ID, phones, addresses of all Israeli adults
Elections Committee hears urgent petition to bar use of database of all 6.5 million voters, including info on political leanings, after the data was exposed online
https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-vast-breach-likud-campaign-leaks-id-phones-addresses-of-all-israeli-adults/

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #10889 on: February 10, 2020, 12:47:46 PM »

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10890 on: February 10, 2020, 06:17:48 PM »
https://jewishweek.timesofisrael.com/orthodox-dating-sitcom-introduces-lgbtq-characters-challenging-fanbase/

So the whole thing from the outset was never just good clean wholesome entertainment; it was with the intention of shoving their agenda down peoples throats. Little wonder that people are suspicious even of mainstream orthodox magazines and media  of trying to push an agenda.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #10891 on: February 10, 2020, 06:26:57 PM »
https://jewishweek.timesofisrael.com/orthodox-dating-sitcom-introduces-lgbtq-characters-challenging-fanbase/

So the whole thing from the outset was never just good clean wholesome entertainment; it was with the intention of shoving their agenda down peoples throats. Little wonder that people are suspicious even of mainstream orthodox magazines and media  of trying to push an agenda.

דקארי לה מאי קארי לה
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10892 on: February 10, 2020, 07:23:05 PM »
דקארי לה מאי קארי לה
The thousands of gullible people who don’t think for themselves and will look at you incredulously when you suggest that perhaps there may be a problem with something despite it fitting all the kosher checkboxes. “It’s clean and kosher entertainment. How can you say it’s a problem?”

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #10893 on: February 10, 2020, 07:25:14 PM »

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10894 on: February 11, 2020, 11:42:42 AM »
The other difference being that the tenant seeking an apartment is likely to have a one time or short time relationship, whereas the landlords would have a longer relationship, which would come into play in negotiating fees as well as rental rates.
I have no idea what you're saying here, but even now the brokers are (generally) working for landlords, not the tenants.

(Which is why the whole "brokers fee" BS has long been a pet peeve of mine. If I hire a broker to find me an apartment I'll pay him. You hired him to find a renter, you pay him. Not that the government should be deciding who's allowed to charge what for their property/services etc but that's a whole nother story.)

Offline Dawie

• View Profile
« Reply #10895 on: February 11, 2020, 12:12:37 PM »
I have no idea what you're saying here, but even now the brokers are (generally) working for landlords, not the tenants.

(Which is why the whole "brokers fee" BS has long been a pet peeve of mine. If I hire a broker to find me an apartment I'll pay him. You hired him to find a renter, you pay him. Not that the government should be deciding who's allowed to charge what for their property/services etc but that's a whole nother story.)
and now temporarily blocked https://ny.curbed.com/2020/2/10/21131862/nyc-real-estate-broker-fee-lawsuit-rebny-brokerage

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #10896 on: February 11, 2020, 12:17:30 PM »

really it should be split as the broker is doing work for both parties i.e. finding a tenant,  smooth out the application process,

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #10897 on: February 11, 2020, 02:25:48 PM »

I think his point is that tenants have had no leverage to drive down prices, but now that the landlord will be paying they will pressure brokers to lower their commission.

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #10899 on: February 11, 2020, 03:25:30 PM »
I think his point is that tenants have had no leverage to drive down prices, but now that the landlord will be paying they will pressure brokers to lower their commission.
Indeed. Though it's not that simple.

When the tenant pays the fee, the broker tries hardest to get the highest possible rent, a delay of a month or two doesn't bother him that much, he just wants the highest possible fee, which is directly related to the requested rent. And in many cases the tax pain is mitigated by the fact that the renter doesn't issue a 1099, so a lot of the income might go underreported. The same renter won't come back to the broker in a month or two (and possibly for years) looking for another apartment.

But when the landlord pays the fee, while it will be a cost of doing business and factored into the rent, a landlord might have lots of inventory, and might care more about losing a month or two of rent than getting a higher monthly rent. The landlord might also negotiate with the broker a lower fee in return for higher volume or other sweeteners such as exclusivity etc.
-- Dan