Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2348771 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #11022 on: June 08, 2020, 08:14:31 PM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/cleveland-is-a-house-flipping-hot-spot-and-covid-is-helping-11591629995?
If the yidden are part of this then I hope you have tzedaka organizations to help out all those who are making a lot of money now but eventually lose everything as has happened in every single community where flipping was rampant.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #11023 on: June 08, 2020, 08:16:33 PM »
Any houses for sale near you?
Nothing like this. Prices near shuls are always going to be artificially high.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #11024 on: June 09, 2020, 08:12:44 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/06/george-floyd-protests-are-not-chaos-trump-new-york-times/612544/

Also, I only recently learned of this, which explains how someone can be in danger of asphyxiation
despite being able to say to say "I can't breathe" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positional_asphyxia
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #11025 on: June 09, 2020, 08:15:29 AM »
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #11030 on: June 11, 2020, 02:31:35 AM »
From an article about TikTok algorithms:
"Other tech companies, like Netflix, use [AI] to determine what thumbnails a user is most likely to click on. That's why
[one] person's Netflix homepage may have different images than another person's to promote the same show."

Sheesh.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 07:00:58 AM by Randomex »

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #11032 on: June 12, 2020, 08:30:21 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/right-trying-link-george-soros-george-floyd-protests-don-t-ncna1225446

World, why you gotta be so messed up?

===============================

https://www.thecut.com/2020/06/what-does-defund-the-police-mean-the-phrase-explained.html

See also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmy1jjRnl8I

Quote from: The Cut
Some critics have dismissed defunding the police as a left-wing fantasy, but the concept is quickly gaining mainstream recognition. Perhaps most notably: On Sunday, the City Council of Minneapolis announced its intent to disband the city’s police department with a vetoproof majority and replace it with “a holistic model of public safety that actually keeps us safe.”

Quote from: TheCut
Defunding the police does not necessarily mean getting rid of the police altogether. Rather, it would mean reducing police budgets and reallocating those funds to crucial and oft-neglected areas like education, public health, housing, and youth services.
I guess disband doesn't mean...
dis·band
/disˈband/
Learn to pronounce
verb
(of an organized group) break up or cause to break up and stop functioning.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #11033 on: June 12, 2020, 08:36:02 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/right-trying-link-george-soros-george-floyd-protests-don-t-ncna1225446

World, why you gotta be so messed up?

===============================

https://www.thecut.com/2020/06/what-does-defund-the-police-mean-the-phrase-explained.html

See also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmy1jjRnl8I

"Defund means we remove them but we don't get rid of them. THere is no longer a police force but we are still policed by them. We no longer pay for them but they are fully paid for."
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #11034 on: June 12, 2020, 08:39:01 AM »
"Defund means we remove them but we don't get rid of them. THere is no longer a police force but we are still policed by them. We no longer pay for them but they are fully paid for."
reminds of " don't wear masks, masks are worthless and even downright dangerous but if you leave your house without a mask you'll be fined.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #11035 on: June 15, 2020, 07:02:45 AM »

Why is that in quotation marks?

Mtrasb

« Reply #11036 on: June 15, 2020, 07:18:01 AM »
New York to observant Jews: Drop Dead and pay Taxes.

By Yosef Chaim Brooks

The observant Jewish community is no longer welcome in New York. Our way of life is being trampled on, our needs are dismissed with ease, our vote is irrelevant and cannot change a thing.

We are being mocked, humiliated, and relegated to third-class status with shockingly cocky dismissiveness by politicians who are often invited to our Synagogues and claim to be sworn friends of the Jewish people.

I'm only 40, born, and bred in Brooklyn and I can still remember feeling like New York is for all practical purposes a Jewish city. Our community makes up a substantial portion of the city's population. We are politically connected, with friends in high places who can get whatever is needed "done".

We run so much of New York's economy, and make up an important part of its tax base. We believe we have the respect and consideration of city and State government since they understand and appreciate our contribution to New York.

That's what most of us thought.

Then came Corona and everything we believed to be true about New York, turned out to be false.

We learned that not only do we not have a special status in New York but inf fact we don't even have equal status to other residents. As a matter of fact, we have no status, unless you consider taxation without representation a status. 

You see in the name of public health New York officials told us that:
Our Synagogues must be completely shuttered until the time that the "Public Health Experts" decide they can reopen, which could be at any time or at no time. This was strictly enforced by NYPD who were very scrupulous at kicking people out of Synagogues if GOD forbid they found one in operation.

We may not pay final respect to our beloved parents and grandparents who passed away. We were forced to hold no funerals at all or funerals with a handful of people. If you dared try to hold a funeral even if it was outside, even with the most extreme social distancing you had police cars follow you around until you dispersed.

We were told we cannot visit our parents or grandparents in the hospital leaving many of them to die at the hands of careless or overwhelmed nursing staff.

We were told our small and medium-sized businesses needed to remain shuttered until the time that the "Public Health Experts" decide they can reopen, which could be at any time or at no time; While big box stores were allowed to remain open. If any of us dared roll up the gate of their store more than a few inches they were handed a fine to the tune of thousands of dollars to make up for all the lost revenue the city has endured due to lack of parking tickets.

We sat through all of this quietly. In our hearts, we knew it was wrong, at least some of it. We knew it was a gross overreaction. We knew these draconian limitations on life were extended well beyond what was necessary but we also understood that our city and state are run by progressive democrats and that comes with a price so we sucked it up and remained quiet.

But then came the George Floyd protests.

All of a sudden, Public Health was out the window. Social Distancing, nonexistent. Only small crowds under ten people, non-applicable.   

To add insult to injury the very same Public Health Officials who made up all those rules and city and state officials who made sure they strictly enforced, had an overnight change of heart and seemingly change of science facts and data.

What was unacceptable for the Jews ie communal prayer and funerals as a start, was perfectly fine and encouraged for George Floyd protests. One NYC Public health official even went as far as saying that should there be an increase in Covid infections after the protests it can only be blamed on racism and not on the lack of social distancing exhibited by protestors. I must have missed it when the same official said that should there be a COVID outbreak as a result of large crowds at a Hasidic funeral it can only be blamed on antisemitism, oh you mean he didn't say that?

You see when it came to the Jews the Mayor had harsh words: "My message to the Jewish community and all communities ( I wonder who he meant by "all communities" because we never saw any enforcement of this kind against any of the other ALL communities, but I digress) is this simple, the time for warnings has passed". Ooh what a tough guy this mayor is, against Hassidic Jews at a funeral, I must have just missed it when he stated the time for warnings has passed to the looters.

Then just to twist the dagger a little more, we all saw the images of nurses all dressed up in PPE's walking out of a Manhattan hospital entrance to clap for the protestors and support them. You remember those sweet nurses that were featured in ads telling us to stay home so that they may stay alive? You remember those sweet nurses that told us we can't sit at the hospital bedside of our parents because of the public health risk? (only to later learn that untold numbers of our greatest generation were literally left for dead under the care of the sweet nurses of New York, but I digress again). Anyhow THOSE nurses were now cheering the largest middle finger ever given to public health guidelines while dressed in full gear.

When an Orthodox journalist confronted the Mayor on his hypocrisy and double standard when examining his treatment of the Jewish community, its sensibilities and needs, vs the Goerge Floyd protestors, the son of a bitch didn't even flinch. He went on a rant explaining to the reporter that 400 years of slavery simply overrule any and all other considerations, Science, Public Health, facts, data, be damned. But if those damn Jews put a minyan together all hell will break loose.

As a side note last week, long after the George Floyd protests were upon us, those rebellious Jews in Williamsburg had more than ten children at once at a public playground. They forgot their George Floyd protest signs at home so guess what happened, I won't keep you in suspense yep NYPD cleared them out.

As looters were looting and destroying store after store in New York City with no one there to stop them, we remembered why there were no cops available for that. They were too busy handing out fines to store owners in Brooklyn who were guilty of the crime of trying to conduct business to feed their families and serve their customers after being denied that right for over three months.

Then came the latest decree from Emperor Cuomo, Thou shalt not have any sleep-away camps this year. Why not? because I said so.
George Floyd protests? Sorry, the answer is no.

So now after three and a half miserable months, our kid's summer plans for the next two months get trashed yet again.

So how does it feel to be a proud New Yorker today?

This city and state are the heart of Jewish life in America right?

Let's pause and think for a moment.

What exactly do we get out of living here?

We have to fund our own Ambulances and first responders because city ambulances arrive long after the pronunciation of death.   

We have to fund our own community security organizations because NYPD is simply not enough to keep our communities safe.

We have to self-fund all of our schools because religious Jews have no right to expect that their children's education is paid for like any other resident in the city. 

Oh I forgot there is one thing we do get and I would be remiss if I didn't mention it. We get an extra Garbage pickup in our neighborhoods on Erev Pesach-don't say no one is thinking of us! Come on, that's got to be worth a few billion dollars in taxes no?

This city is a dump. They call it the big apple, the city that never sleeps. It should be renamed the big pothole or the city of rats.

Why do we still live here? we shouldn't.

Here's a crazy idea, We've all heard the word defund thrown around lately which got me thinking.

I was thinking defund NY has a good ring to it.

Let's pack ourselves and our businesses up and Jexit NY to any place in America where entrepreneurs are appreciated and religious freedom is celebrated.

I don't know maybe some exotic place like Florida or Texas. Let's domicile our businesses and residences in those states and bring all our tax revenues along.

Even if we won't receive any appreciation or notice at least we won't be trampled on as we currently are in the big rotten apple. But just one favor to ask before we do that let's all register our kids to public school for next year. Let's see how New York figures out where to educate 100 thousand children overnight.

I'm feeling a slogan that goes something like "no schooling no peace" as we get on jet blue to FLL or MCO, thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 07:21:19 AM by Mtrasb »

Mtrasb

« Reply #11037 on: June 15, 2020, 07:20:04 AM »
https://anash.org/our-past-and-the-future/

Op-Ed: Events of the past few weeks, together with the blatant hypocrisy exhibited by our politicians, should have us concerned about what’s to come.

By Rabbi Pinchos Lipschutz

Mtrasb

« Reply #11038 on: June 15, 2020, 07:24:53 AM »
Three Orthodox Jews from Brooklyn are suing New York leaders for allegedly employing a blatant double standard by way of coronavirus restrictions to discriminate against people of faith.

https://anash.org/lawsuit-filed-against-cuomo-de-blasio/

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #11039 on: June 15, 2020, 07:26:16 AM »
Where did that Brooks article appear, and since when do frum Jews include profanity in their public discourse?