Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2347434 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #11481 on: January 28, 2021, 12:37:26 AM »
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #11482 on: January 28, 2021, 09:36:40 PM »
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #11483 on: January 30, 2021, 09:00:48 PM »
Investors should be following Elon Musk on Twitter, says Reuters (and not just because of what's in the URL).
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #11484 on: January 30, 2021, 10:20:58 PM »
An Ami article about a supposed anti-aging treatment led me to this:
https://forbetterscience.com/2020/12/03/hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy-extends-life-the-telomeres-and-everything/

It's a website that seeks to expose false studies. Given his name, he's probably Jewish, if perhaps
somewhat anti-Israel, and here he is exposing anti-Semitism by some French academic on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/schneiderleonid/status/1355637222481903617

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #11485 on: January 30, 2021, 10:22:23 PM »
From the same site, this is about the state of the sciences during the Middle Ages:
https://forbetterscience.com/2021/01/06/seb-falks-the-light-ages-book-review/

Offline Randomex

• View Profile

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11487 on: February 07, 2021, 01:11:08 AM »
https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blog/why-hot-water-freezes-faster-than-cold-physicists-solve-the-mpemba-effect-d8a2f611e853

(In case people with filters can't access it)
Why Hot Water Freezes Faster Than Cold—Physicists Solve the Mpemba Effect
Aristotle first noticed that hot water freezes faster than cold, but chemists have always struggled to explain the paradox. Until now
The Physics arXiv Blog
The Physics arXiv Blog
Oct 29, 2013 · 4 min read

Water may be one of the most abundant compounds on Earth, but it is also one of more mysterious. For example, like most liquids it becomes denser as it cools. But unlike them, it reaches a state of maximum density at 4°C and then becomes less dense before it freezes.
In solid form, it is less dense still, which is why standard ice floats on water. That’s one reason why life on Earth has flourished— if ice were denser than water, lakes and oceans would freeze from the bottom up, almost certainly preventing the kind of chemistry that makes life possible.
Then there is the strange Mpemba effect, named after a Tanzanian student who discovered that a hot ice cream mix freezes faster than a cold mix in cookery classes in the early 1960s. (In fact, the effect has been noted by many scientists throughout history including Aristotle, Francis Bacon and René Descartes.)
The Mpemba effect is the observation that warm water freezes more quickly than cold water. The effect has been measured on many occasions with many explanations put forward. One idea is that warm containers make better thermal contact with a refrigerator and so conduct heat more efficiently. Hence the faster freezing. Another is that warm water evaporates rapidly and since this is an endothermic process, it cools the water making it freeze more quickly.
None of these explanations are entirely convincing, which is why the true explanation is still up for grabs.
Today Xi Zhang at the Nanyang Technological University in Singapore and a few pals provide one. These guys say that the Mpemba paradox is the result of the unique properties of the different bonds that hold water together.
What’s so odd about the bonds in water? A single water molecule consists of a relatively large oxygen atom joined to two smaller hydrogen atoms by standard covalent bonds.
But put water molecules together and hydrogen bonds also begin to play an important role. These occur when a hydrogen in one molecule comes close the oxygen in another and bonds to it.
Hydrogen bonds are weaker than covalent bonds but stronger than the van der Waals forces that geckos use to climb walls.
Chemists have long known that they are important. For example, water’s boiling point is much higher than other liquids of similar molecules because hydrogen bonds hold it together.
But in recent years, chemists have become increasingly aware of more subtle roles that hydrogen bonds can play. For example, water molecules inside narrow capillaries form into chains held together by hydrogen bonds. This plays an important role in trees and plants where water evaporation across a leaf membrane effectively pulls a chain of water molecules up from the roots.
Now Xi and co say hydrogen bonds also explain the Mpemba effect. Their key idea is that hydrogen bonds bring water molecules into close contact and when this happens the natural repulsion between the molecules causes the covalent O-H bonds to stretch and store energy.
But as the liquid warms up, it forces the hydrogen bonds to stretch and the water molecules sit further apart. This allows the covalent molecules to shrink again and give up their energy. The important point is that this process in which the covalent bonds give up energy is equivalent to cooling.
In fact, the effect is additional to the conventional process of cooling. So warm water ought to cool faster than cold water, they say. And that’s exactly what is observed in the Mpemba effect.
These guys have calculated the magnitude of the additional cooling effect and show that it exactly accounts for the observed differences in experiments that measure the different cooling rates of hot and cold water.
Voila! That’s an interesting insight into the complex and mysterious properties of water, which still give chemists sleepless nights.
But while Xi and co’s idea is convincing, it is not quite the theoretical slam dunk that many physicists will require to settle the question. That’s because the new theory lacks predictive power—at least in this paper.
Xi and co need to use their theory to predict a new property of water that conventional thinking about water does not. For example, the shortened covalent bonds might give rise to some measurable property of the water that would not otherwise be present. The discovery and measurement of this property would be the coup de grâce that their theory needs.
So while these guys may well have solved the riddle of Mpemba effect, they will probably need to work a little harder to convince everyone. Nevertheless, interesting stuff!
Ref: arxiv.org/abs/1310.6514: O:H-O Bond Anomalous Relaxation Resolving Mpemba Paradox
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #11488 on: February 07, 2021, 03:13:51 AM »
Analysis of some war-on-drugs issues and the possibility that a non-US country legalizing drugs could force an end to it:
https://www.vox.com/2015/12/15/10172324/drug-war-end

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #11489 on: February 08, 2021, 05:07:42 AM »
Apparently going to sleep on your left side is now acknowledged as the scientifically optimal sleep position.

#halacha
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11490 on: February 08, 2021, 09:19:13 AM »
Trump Lawyer Asks to Pause Impeachment Trial if It Runs Into Sabbath
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/06/us/politics/trump-impeachment-trial.html

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline David R

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline Randomex

• View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #11498 on: February 16, 2021, 03:03:12 PM »
And "antepenultimate" means third-to-last.

They should have put the anti vs ante
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan