Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2347237 times)

Offline LNS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #11922 on: February 10, 2022, 08:02:37 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-confessions-of-judgment/?srnd=premium

Very sad situation indeed, and embarrassing to know how many Shomrei Shabbos are in this business of ruining people's lives for personal financial gain.

I have a friend who unfortunately signed one of these "confessions of judgment" and ended up shutting down his business. Luckily he might have been personally spared from financial ruin by this (other than losing his business).

When a relative was entering this business and discussed it with me, I told him that I feel that the worst part about this business (even without the "confession of judgment" trick) is that it simply destroys one's moral compass.

The day when there's a crackdown on these operations can't come soon enough, and now I learn that this should come to the front burner and become a major issue in NY politics. NY shouldn't be allowed to be the venue for these kinds of things.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2022-02-10/trump-freed-jon-braun-from-prison-now-loan-shark-is-back-in-business?srnd=premium

Attention mods: I think all the posts that were in response to this first post should go into a separate thread about Loan Sharking / Cash Advance practices and morals.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #11923 on: February 11, 2022, 12:29:05 AM »
What a horrible chillul Hashem.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline yeshivabucher

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #11925 on: February 15, 2022, 02:08:13 PM »

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #11926 on: February 22, 2022, 11:20:19 AM »

The First Dance

By: Rabbi Ron Yitzchok Eisenman
Congregation Ahavas Israel
Passaic, NJ

Everyone was silent as the Bar Mitzvah bachur approached the Shtender.

Yanky was the final speaker of the evening.

Both families were Chashuva mishpochus with a long line of yichus behind them.

His paternal grandfather was well known not only as a lamdan, but he was also a pikeach, a person of insight.

Bochurim came to him for eitzos and hadracha (guidance).
 On his mother’s side, his grandfather was heralded as a baki-b’shas and was known to have finished the Daf Yomi cycle five times.
Both grandfathers had already spoken at the Bar Mitzvah.
All that remained was for Yanky to speak, and then there would be dancing.

Yanky approached the Shtender nervously.

He held tight to the crumpled sheets of notebook paper, his pshetel, which he had buried deep into his new (and only) suit pants.
He would deliver the pshetel in Yiddish.

He had pre-arranged with his classmates to interrupt him during the speech to facilitate his need to avoid embarrassment.

As soon as he started, his friends began to sing.

However, his grandfather stood up and thundered, “do not interrupt.”
The boys were silent, and Yanky continued in his sing-song voice.
Finally, he finished.
All that was left was for Yanky to say the requisite “thank-yous.”
Yanky switched to English and thanked his parents and grandparents, his rebbeim, and his menahel.

And then, to everyone’s amazement, Yanky, instead of returning to his seat, continued to speak.

“Dear Totty, Mommy, Zaide, Bubbe, Zaidy, and Bubby. You have all asked me what I wanted for my Bar Mitzvah, and I have always answered, “I’m good.”

However, I changed my mind today, and I now know what I want.

The thing I want most at my Bar Mitzvah is to dance together with my two zaydes and my father, and all my uncles on both sides of the family in one big circle. That is the only thing I want. I want to feel like every other boy in my class on his Bar Mitzvah.”

The Simcha-hall fell silent.

The elephant in the room had suddenly materialized.

The terrible rift in the family precipitated by his parent’s bitter divorce four years ago was now on display.

The uncomfortable reality of the two sides of the family sitting separately, garishly ignoring each other, was now exposed for all to view.
The plan for each side to form two distinct circles under the guise of “Covid restrictions” was now revealed for what it was, a thinly-veiled attempt by each side to avoid having to have contact with “them.”

The room was eerily quiet.

No one moved, and no one spoke.

Everyone froze in their seats.

Suddenly, shy, quiet, introverted Yanky looked at the bochur at the keyboard and faintly said, “Please play.”

The keyboarder began a leibidig tune; the adults sat shell-shocked.
And then bashful, self-effacing Yanky walked over to his Zaidy and pulled him to the dance floor.

He then moved to the other side of the room, grabbed his mother’s father, and led him to his Mechutan.

Each grandfather looked at the other one.

The disdain they felt for each other was visible and palpable.
They each felt they had been wronged by the other.

Each one knew they had Daas Torah on their side.
Their only thoughts were of settling the score.
But then it happened.

Yanky pulled both grandfathers around in a circle.
At first, begrudgingly, they acquiesced under coercion to semi-shuffle/dance.

Yet, when they saw the smile on Yanky’s face, a smile which was gone for over four years, the animosity and hostility they had held on to for too long suddenly melted away.

As Yanky’s face radiated with happiness, it finally hit them.
They finally awoke to the reality that all of their Dinei Torah, their posturing, their getting letters from various Rabbonim, their claims of doing Daas Torah, their (absurd) assertions that they were only acting for the Kavod of Hashem, had accomplished just one thing.

It had destroyed the life of a thirteen-year-old boy named Yanky.
The true victim of their fighting L’Shem Shomayim was their grandson, who now, for the first time in four years, was smiling.
Miraculously and amazingly, Yanky’s father and all his uncles on both sides joined into one large circle.

Yanky’s face beamed with joy. His radiant countenance blazed as the entire room was aglow from the light of Yanky’s smile.

Tears flowed freely from the eyes of the women who clustered near the Mechitza to watch this miracle in progress.

The music was loud, the pounding of the men’s feet on the dance floor was almost deafening.

Yet, if one listened carefully, above the din of the dancing, you could hear the footsteps of Mashiach coming closer.

Submitted by daily reader, N.
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #11927 on: February 24, 2022, 07:22:21 PM »
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11929 on: March 01, 2022, 09:47:34 AM »

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #11930 on: March 01, 2022, 09:49:36 AM »
I mean this isn't much different than what some rabbis are saying - that this is the beginning of the Messiah
Sorry, today isn't Friday.  :)

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #11933 on: March 06, 2022, 05:48:32 AM »

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11934 on: March 08, 2022, 12:34:16 AM »
Decision Desk HQ had an interesting story in their email newsletter today. I don't think it's accessible online, so I'm posting it here:

The Unorthodox Orthodox Super PAC
Tzedek PAC, which backs prison reform legislation, raised $1M in January.

More than a year ago, a new super PAC filed its registration with the Federal Election Commission. Nothing terribly unusual about that; creating a super PAC is easy enough that basically anyone with an Internet connection can do it.

Like a lot of other super PACs, Tzedek PAC didn’t see much activity in 2021: it raised a total of $36,652 last year and spent barely $1,800. Then came January 2022, and everything changed.

In its first regular report of the year, this super PAC told the FEC that it raised nearly $1.2 million from donors, a massive increase. Sometimes when that happens, it’s because one person gave a seven-figure donation, but that’s not what occurred here. Instead, there are more than 1,000 donations listed on the FEC filing.

Even though it can accept donations of unlimited amounts, the largest contribution was $5,500. Because Tzedek PAC is both a super PAC and a regular one, it could give almost all of the money it has raised directly to congressional candidates during the 2022 cycle.

And the people behind the PAC absolutely have congressional allies. Tzedek PAC is the political arm of an organization with the same name that advocates for prison reform legislation, and in particular for Orthodox Jewish prisoners. The organization was involved in the passage of the First Step Act, which became law in 2018 and was intended to accomplish two goals: cut unnecessarily long federal sentences and improve conditions in federal prisons. The bill had bipartisan support and has been called “the most significant criminal justice reform legislation in years.” The Tzedek Association’s site includes an approving quote from Rep. Kelly Armstrong, R-N.D.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, Tzedek turned its attention to securing early release and/or home confinement for elderly prisoners at risk of catching the virus in the close quarters of prison. The latest round of fundraising appears to be connected to an effort to extend or make permanent those releases. Under Biden Administration policy, individuals released must return to prison a month after the official state of emergency is lifted. Last June, the Senate Judiciary Committee approved legislation that would expand eligibility for home confinement for elderly prisoners (a companion bill was introduced in the House but has seen no action).

A video posted as part of the fundraising campaign mentions an aide to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and shows testimonials from Jewish men released under the program. “There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that the Tzedek Association saved my life,” says a man named Nevin Shapiro who appears in the video.

Almost all of the donors listed on the PAC’s most recent filing list New York addresses, many in Brooklyn but also in upstate towns with significant Orthodox populations such as Monroe and Spring Valley. And you can tell that FEC regulations might not be familiar to the PAC, because its contributor list contains 120 records missing either the first or last name of the donor totaling more than $48,000.

More than half of the money raised in January came from sources that provided no employer or occupation information as required by federal law. Other donors did not list an address of any kind, including a state of residence. Although the PAC lists no contributions to federal candidates on its filing, it filed a separate report showing that it made donations to two Democratic and two Republican House members on Jan. 25. All of those issues should be flagged by the FEC in its review of filings. With the cash it has, Tzedek PAC could make $5,000 donations to more than 240 federal candidates if it wanted to, or it could pay for ads lobbying key lawmakers.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 02:43:49 PM by TimT »

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile

Offline sguitarist18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6