Author Topic: Interesting Articles...  (Read 2377443 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #12320 on: March 21, 2023, 12:42:35 AM »
I'd say IME amazon is generally better than USPS

The USPS package delivery guy on my block is definitely superior to anything from Amazon or FedEx that I have experienced. Regular mail at my office is horrendous, at home is OK.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #12321 on: March 21, 2023, 12:44:27 AM »
It could happen with any commodity. I would think if I bought a contract on a commodity and it turned out to be bunk, the entity that sold me the contract would be on the hook.

Right. Which is what makes this scary. These bags were bought by JPM while in storage quite a few years ago.

It’s not clear whether the bags ever contained nickel, and whether the issue is a result of error, theft or fraud. Under the LME’s rules, warehouses are responsible for inspecting and verifying metal. Warehouses are required to hold insurance, while physical metal traders typically are insured against risks such as theft.

The discovery has set off a wider scramble across the metals world, with warehouse companies racing over the weekend to re-inspect and re-weigh thousands of tons of metal after the LME asked them to verify all the nickel currently on warrant.
-- Dan

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12322 on: March 21, 2023, 01:21:20 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-20/amazon-delivery-drivers-of-color-get-worse-customer-reviews-than-white-ones

https://archive.ph/ZhSIl

@CountValentine do you believe this is real?

I can't imagine anything of the sort. I have excellent relationships (and would give positive reviews) with black delivery drivers. I am color blind, it's all about the quality.

I find Amazon delivery to be amongst the worst, FedEx maybe a drop above, and USPS and UPS much better - both drivers are black. I have no idea regarding FedEx or Amazon delivery drivers, I rarely see them delivering anything to me, I just find the packages outside. I think the common denominator for the bad deliveries is that they are non-employees.

The article actually brings up an important point about the feedback system - that nobody goes onto the delivery page to leave a feedback unless something goes wrong. I had no idea until reading this article that compensation was based on feedback. Unless they send out emails to customers asking them to rate their experience, or the customer is made aware that their feedback makes a big difference to the bottom line of the employee who helped them, they're not going to bother trying to leave feedback. They assume that if everything goes ok, there's no reason to say thanks to the system. (On sites like eBay, where customers are aware that feedback makes a big difference to sellers and where feedback forms are prominently displayed, I find the feedback rate to be much higher.) Compensation should be based on negative feedback as percentage of orders delivered, not as percentage of feedbacks left. That's unfair to the drivers.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline dm123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #12325 on: March 21, 2023, 08:54:00 PM »
I guess I just can't wrap my head around such bias.
There are many that feel the same way.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12327 on: March 23, 2023, 06:03:32 AM »

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #12328 on: March 23, 2023, 06:29:04 AM »
https://gizmodo.com/usb-sticks-freedom-of-the-press-bomb-ecuador-1850254706
Someone Has Been Mailing USB Drives to Journalists That Are Programmed to Explode
In Ecuador, someone is trying to silence the news media by turning USB sticks into deadly weapons.

Everybody knows that you’re not supposed to plug a random USB stick into your computer. Worst case scenario, you’re typically looking at a desktop full of malware. However, it now appears that someone has come up with a much worse thing to load USBs with than malicious software: bombs.

Multiple news outlets are reporting that USB sticks rigged with explosives have been mailed to journalists throughout Ecuador. The little clandestine incendiaries have been sent to at least five different newsrooms, sometimes accompanied by threatening notes. Authorities say the drives are designed to explode when a user plugs them into their computer.

So far, only one journalist has been injured as a result of the campaign. Broadcast news reporter Lenin Artieda, who works for a TV station in the city of Guayaquil, is said to have plugged the drive into his computer, causing it to explode. He subsequently suffered “mild hand and face injuries” but was not seriously wounded by the blast, France24 reports.

In the handful of other cases, journalists either opted not to plug in the drive, plugged it in incorrectly, or some other sort of hardware issue appears to have stopped the explosives from igniting, Ars Technica reports. The outlet also notes that the USB sticks were rigged with RDX, the chemical agent commonly used in C-4 and other plastic explosives.

It’s unclear who is behind the malicious campaign, though the Ecuadorian government has publicly condemned the incidents—releasing a statement that says it “categorically rejects any form of violence perpetrated against journalists and media outlets.” Fundamedios, an Ecuadorian organization dedicated to protecting press freedoms, has also issued a statement condemning the attacks and demanding that the government investigate the source of the bombs.

Historically speaking, USB drives have been a devious vector for malware distribution. A number of famous incidents (including, allegedly, one involving the Pentagon) are reputed to have started with someone picking up a USB stick in a parking lot and making the genius decision to plug it into their work computer. That said, there’s a pretty clear distinction between blowing up a hard drive and blowing up an actual person. In short, I hope they catch whoever did this, though it’s just one more reminder to abide by that oldest pearl of digital wisdom: if you don’t know where that drive came from, don’t plug it in.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #12332 on: March 29, 2023, 10:45:28 PM »
-- Dan

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #12333 on: March 30, 2023, 12:19:13 AM »
Touchy subject.

https://www.makorrishon.co.il/news/562439/

It’s paywalled and archive.ph didn’t bypass.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #12334 on: March 30, 2023, 12:23:21 AM »
It’s paywalled and archive.ph didn’t bypass.

Not paywalled on my phone.
-- Dan

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #12335 on: March 30, 2023, 08:51:41 AM »
Not paywalled on my phone.

Maybe you’re logged in, I’m not that committed lol
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline sddd

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile