Author Topic: Marry Young / Shidduch Crisis  (Read 67154 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Marry Young / Shidduch Crisis
« Reply #380 on: January 16, 2024, 01:50:14 PM »
Are you talking specifically chabad? I’ve always heard that the chassidim where boys marry much younger have a reverse issue where the boys have a hard time finding girls.
Chabad doesn't get married younger like other chasidim. Guys go through ~9 years of mesivta/zal/bochur shlichus/smicha before getting dating.
And people say anecdotally that there's a shortage of guys.

I do believe that more guys drop out of the system than girls. After all, girls have 1 year post-high school and guys have 6 or more, and a far more rigorous schedule and demands. That makes more sense to me than a bizarre numbers imbalance.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 01:58:54 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline pbf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 16, 2024, 01:53:32 PM »
Chabad doesn't get married younger like other chasidim. Guys go through ~9 years of mesivta/zal/smicha before getting dating.
And people say anecdotally that there's a shortage of guys.

I do believe that more guys drop out of the system than girls. After all, girls have 1 year post-high school and guys have 6 or so, and a far more rigorous schedule and demands. That makes more sense to me than a bizarre numbers imbalance.

This is true in yeshivish litvish circles as well. There are more highly yeshivish girls than there are boys.
Many many girls want (or are taught to want) a top full time learning boy that will stay in kollel for a while. There are far less boys that actually fit that category

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #382 on: January 16, 2024, 01:55:21 PM »
This is true in yeshivish litvish circles as well. There are more highly yeshivish girls than there are boys.
Many many girls want (or are taught to want) a top full time learning boy that will stay in kollel for a while. There are far less boys that actually fit that category
Isn't this a simple explanation for the crisis? A hashkafic mismatch between the genders rather than blaming it on wonky stuff like age differentials?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline pbf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 16, 2024, 01:56:46 PM »
Isn't this a simple explanation for the crisis? A hashkafic mismatch between the genders rather than blaming it on age differentials?
I think the 'crisis' is due to many factors, but I do believe this is one of them (my personal belief is that a lot of is rooted in the school system and it may not be an actual mismatch but that's another story)

See my older post here

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 16, 2024, 02:08:49 PM »
Isn't this a simple explanation for the crisis? A hashkafic mismatch between the genders rather than blaming it on wonky stuff like age differentials?
It could be a factor but if that were the explanation you would see a huge number of working class boys equal to the number of girls unable to get dates or marry, the hashkafic mismatch counterparts. I’m not seeing classes of 29 year old boys where one third can’t get anyone to marry them.

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 16, 2024, 02:09:46 PM »
My parents are very involved in the Shidduch scene.

In their opinion a factor that plays out is that girls who’ve been working a few years and more “out there” have a hard time appreciating the lest “sophisticated” guy who spend his day in the beis medrash.

But she needs a “long time learner”, so this becomes an issue.

Offline pbf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 16, 2024, 02:11:35 PM »

In their opinion a factor that plays out is that girls who’ve been working a few years and more “out there” have a hard time appreciating the lest “sophisticated” guy who spend his day in the beis medrash.

Def a factor

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 16, 2024, 02:13:41 PM »

You mean that is compounding the crisis? In order to get to the point of working a few years and being out there, they need to be unable to get married for several years in the first place.

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 16, 2024, 02:15:18 PM »
You mean that is compounding the crisis? In order to get to the point of working a few years and being out there, they need to be unable to get married for several years in the first place.
There are many reasons a girl can be working for a few years.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 16, 2024, 02:27:32 PM »
There are many reasons a girl can be working for a few years.
Mostly because they are waiting for older sisters who are having a hard time getting married (Yep, Shidduch crisis). The small subset who purposely aren’t going out for a few years are not representative of the typical girl. Hence imayid2 is describing a factor COMPOUNDING the crisis, not causing it.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 16, 2024, 02:37:21 PM »
Mostly because they are waiting for older sisters who are having a hard time getting married (Yep, Shidduch crisis). The small subset who purposely aren’t going out for a few years are not representative of the typical girl. Hence imayid2 is describing a factor COMPOUNDING the crisis, not causing it.
Many wait for all or part of the first year out of seminary. Many are not emotionally ready to get married right away even if they started dating.

Offline Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 16, 2024, 02:38:16 PM »

I’ve been saying this for years!
One way to find out would be, to not only count the boys of marriageable age that are learning in BMG, but count all boys of marriageable age and see if the gap between the amount of  boys and girls are closer.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #392 on: January 16, 2024, 02:40:25 PM »
It could be a factor but if that were the explanation you would see a huge number of working class boys equal to the number of girls unable to get dates or marry, the hashkafic mismatch counterparts. I’m not seeing classes of 29 year old boys where one third can’t get anyone to marry them.

Are the girls classes that are 1/3 unmarried offset by other girls classes that have a higher percent married? How many girls are there in a class vs how many boys? I can off the top of my head think of a bunch of guys who were in yeshiva with me and aren't married.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 16, 2024, 02:42:53 PM »

I've heard from a whole slew of parents that they have difficulty with shidduchim for their working boy. Maybe there are a whole slew of working boys who are still single at older ages but you just don't see them around. Do you have any data to back up your implication that there aren't?

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 16, 2024, 03:12:14 PM »
I've heard from a whole slew of parents that they have difficulty with shidduchim for their working boy. Maybe there are a whole slew of working boys who are still single at older ages but you just don't see them around. Do you have any data to back up your implication that there aren't?
I did not find that with my working/school son. I found that there are quality girls who are looking for solid working guys.  But they do not necessarily want guys who are "cool", for lack of a better word. They want clean, frum young men who are not into the wrong stuff.

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 16, 2024, 03:38:13 PM »
Maybe there are a whole slew of working boys who are still single at older ages but you just don't see them around. Do you have any data to back up your implication that there aren't?
Unmarried working boys equal to the total number of unmarried girls? In my sons grades not close, not even by a long shot. Maybe just my sons school? BTW when looking for Shidduchim for my two working  boy (generous description) nephews there are many girls coming up.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 16, 2024, 03:44:59 PM »
Unmarried working boys equal to the total number of unmarried girls? In my sons grades not close, not even by a long shot. Maybe just my sons school? BTW when looking for Shidduchim for my two working  boy (generous description) nephews there are many girls coming up.

You need to look past what is right in front of your eyes. If the big issue is out of town, then don't focus your anecdotes on Lakewood working boys. I will repeat again, anything having to do with names mentioned is not at all indicative of an issue with getting them married, yet you keep going to that.

I had many more names for my college/working boy than for my "learning boy" daughter when they were both in shidduchim at the same time, but had more appropriate names in the few for my daughter than in the entire list for my son.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 16, 2024, 04:15:25 PM »
I had many more names for my college/working boy than for my "learning boy" daughter when they were both in shidduchim at the same time, but had more appropriate names in the few for my daughter than in the entire list for my son.
I think there is a very simple explanation for this that everyone is overlooking. I'm making up numbers here, so don't nitpick at them. If on average a boy gets 20 resumes per year and says no to 3/4 of them, every girl will get 5 resumes per year. This makes some feel there are more options for the boys, in reality, the girl doesn't know about most shidduchim they were redt.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 16, 2024, 04:15:51 PM »
Unmarried working boys equal to the excess number of unmarried girls? In my sons grades not close, not even by a long shot. Maybe just my sons school? BTW when looking for Shidduchim for my two working  boy (generous description) nephews there are many girls coming up.
FTFY

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 16, 2024, 04:20:21 PM »