Author Topic: Summer Getaway  (Read 2713 times)

Offline BigAl

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Summer Getaway
« on: February 08, 2012, 12:00:52 AM »
Greetings?

I would like to plan a summer getaway for the family. I'd like to fly to Europe an stay for two weeks and then continue to EY and stay there for two weeks.
I would be traveling with 6 other travelers and have 120k SPG points and about 150k UR from Chase.
I need points for travel in August and not for stays.
I need only one stopover on the way to EY.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Online AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Summer Getaway
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 10:01:20 AM »
Greetings?

I would like to plan a summer getaway for the family. I'd like to fly to Europe an stay for two weeks and then continue to EY and stay there for two weeks.
I would be traveling with 6 other travelers and have 120k SPG points and about 150k UR from Chase.
I need points for travel in August and not for stays.
I need only one stopover on the way to EY.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums, but good luck.

You're not going to be able to get 7 people to Israel with a stopover with the points you have.

One Coach SaverPass CO ticket is 80,000 RT. Your 150K UR doesn't even get you all the way to two tickets.

Additionally, to the extent you want to fly together, SPG has a terrible conversion rate of 2:1 to CO points, so you'd lose half your points xferring to them.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 11:04:45 AM »
Actually 120K SPG=150K FB, which is enough for 6 tickets to Europe/Israel during a promo period, albeit for $500-$700 of fuel surcharges.  Or it's enough for 3 saver tickets on Delta with no fuel surcharges when they open up low availability.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Shmelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 11:07:24 AM »
FB = ?
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 11:08:57 AM »

Online AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 03:23:28 PM »
Actually 120K SPG=150K FB, which is enough for 6 tickets to Europe/Israel during a promo period, albeit for $500-$700 of fuel surcharges. 

Are you suggesting he pay as much as $4200 for six coach tickets? Without points those same tickets may only cost him ~$6000 cash, thereby saving his 120,000 SPG. $1800 of value for 120K SPG seems a less-than-stellar redemption.

In any case, he said he needed 7 tickets, not 6. 

Or it's enough for 3 saver tickets on Delta with no fuel surcharges when they open up low availability.

Don't hold your breath. Aside from the fact that it's difficult at all to find low availability tickets, exponentially harder to find three on the same flight.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »
Are you suggesting he pay as much as $4200 for six coach tickets? Without points those same tickets may only cost him ~$6000 cash, thereby saving his 120,000 SPG. $1800 of value for 120K SPG seems a less-than-stellar redemption.

In any case, he said he needed 7 tickets, not 6. 

Don't hold your breath. Aside from the fact that it's difficult at all to find low availability tickets, exponentially harder to find three on the same flight.
He wants to stopover in Europe.  Good luck finding a paid ticket that allows you to do Europe and Israel like an award ticket will.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 03:37:18 PM »
He wants to stopover in Europe.  Good luck finding a paid ticket that allows you to do Europe and Israel like an award ticket will.

I'm not saying you will. All I said was he's

...not going to be able to get 7 people to Israel with a stopover with the points [he has].

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 03:38:16 PM »
And I'm saying that's not true, he most definitely can, albeit with fuel surcharges and not on the exact same flight unless he finds someone to trade points/miles with.

Online AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 03:45:58 PM »
And I'm saying that's not true, he most definitely can, albeit with fuel surcharges and not on the exact same flight unless he finds someone to trade points/miles with.

I had just assumed he'd try to avoid $3200 of fuel surcharges, and because he was flying with family that they'd want to be on the same flight, but point taken.

Offline BigAl

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 07:24:19 PM »
Dan,

I just found, using Kayak, travel to Zurich, stay 2 weeks, continue to TLV, and return to EWR two weeks later for $1,630 pp. All after July 31.
I now need the best minivan deal in both places.
Any ideas?

Best

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 07:31:45 PM »
Dan,

I just found, using Kayak, travel to Zurich, stay 2 weeks, continue to TLV, and return to EWR two weeks later for $1,630 pp. All after July 31.
I now need the best minivan deal in both places.
Any ideas?

Best
Unless you must fly non-stop that's very expensive. Look into buying a US-ZRH tkt & flying easyjet from Geneva to TLV
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline BigAl

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 09:00:38 PM »
My only issues with this are:

I end up buying 3 one way segments, which in itself are not cheap.
2. The easy jet for my party + luggage is almost $2k
3. Getting to Geneva for a 7am flight from elsewhere in Switzerland with kids (train?) is far from fun.