Topic Wiki

1. Crown Heights, Brooklyn NY: Tues, 06/25/12. Cost: Free. Attendance: 120 (including jewda, bd"e). Location: Nosson's Shul. Organized by Nosson's Shul, Geshem Center, and Crown Heights Young Entrepreneurs. Men only.  Opening line: So the good news is that I hear there's no line for the lady's room.

2. Boro Park, Brooklyn NY: Sun, 05/05/13.  Cost: $5. Attendance: 450. Location: Bais Yaakov of Boro Park. Organized by DovTheBear.  Opening line: I'd like to thank everyone for coming to this internet asifa to learn about the dangers of the internet...

3. Lakewood, NJ: Tues, 05/07/13.  Cost: $5. Attendance: 275. Location: Park Terrace. Organized by Lakewood Lunch N' Learn, Plainbochur.  Opening story: Leaving with Mimi to Buenos Aires for a night on a glitch ticket an hour after ticketing

4. Chicago, IL: Thurs, 06/06/13.  Cost: $8. Attendance: 225. Location: WiFi Building. Organized by Kehilla Fund.  Opening story: Connecting in ORD on the way to a mystery destination trip with Mimi.

5. Cleveland, OH: M"S, 11/09/13.   Cost: $10. Attendance: 200. Location: Chabad of Beachwood. Organized by Chabad of Beachwood.  Opening story: Buenos Aires.

6. Los Angeles, CA: Mon, Dec 23 2013.   Cost: $10. Attendance: 375. Location: Kanner Hall. Organized by BigDanFan, Sharei Tefila.  Opening story: The LA roots of DansDeals.

7. Teaneck, NJ - Scheduled for Tues, 01/07/14. Cost: $10. Attendance: 400. Location: Ma’ayanot School for Girls. Organized by  AMIT of Greater Teaneck.  Opening story: "Does anyone have the password to this laptop?"

8. Five Towns, NY - Scheduled for Weds, 01/08/14  Cost: $10. Attendance: 550. Location: Young Israel of Lawrence-Cedarhurst. Organized by  Levi Yitzchak Family Center and Library.  Opening story:  woke up yesterday morn- house freezing cold- no electricity, flights delayed or cancelled power of HUCA and still made it!

9. Weston, FL 04/13-04/23  Attendance 200 (5 sessions, Closed to Smilow pesach attendees)

10. Miami, FL 06/19/14,  Cost: $10, Attendance 150

11. Boro Park 06/24/14, Cost $12,  Attendance 550

12. Monsey 06/25/14, Cost $12,  Attendance 400

13. Crown Heights 11/19/14, Cost $13,  Attendance 450

14. Kinnus Downtown Brooklyn 11/20/14,  Attendance 150 (Closed to kinnus attendees)

15. Jerusalem 03/07/15, Cost $13, Attendance 500

16. Whistler, BC 04/11/17-04/18/17  Attendance 400 (4 sessions, Closed to POTM pesach attendees)

17. Antarctica 12/10/20-12/20/18 Attendance 50 (4 sessions, Closed to Kosher Antarctica attendees)
« Last edited by Dan on March 09, 2021, 09:21:52 PM »

Author Topic: Host A DansDeals Seminar?  (Read 831205 times)

Offline Solomon

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Host A DansDeals Seminar?
« Reply #1720 on: May 06, 2013, 09:46:38 AM »
So a few people have told me I went too fast on the award section.

I understand those topics are not going to be grasped to easily by a noob, but what could I have said to have made it easier?
I think explaining award booking for beginners will take far more time that you can give away at a seminar,

Offline jaywhy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: May 06, 2013, 09:47:59 AM »

I understand those topics are not going to be grasped to easily by a noob, but what could I have said to have made it easier?
I think if you would have better explained how airlines allocate awards, capacity controls, alliances and partner awards, that would have made the booking part easier to understand.

Offline lfas25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: May 06, 2013, 09:49:09 AM »
What to do when the Verrazano is closed for a bike race.

Helicopter?
I only paid 15% by switching to dansdeals

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #1723 on: May 06, 2013, 09:50:09 AM »
There was nothing to do to make it easier for newbies to grasp award booking.
Its a complicated topic, and I'm sure they all at least got the gist of it ואידך פרושא זיל גמור
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline smaxber

• View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: May 06, 2013, 09:50:42 AM »
Did anyone note the time I finished the slides? I think it was about 10:20, so that would mean I covered 70 slides in about 135 minutes.

Ya tht sounds about right.

I agree with both points.

Only thing to make it easier would be handouts so people could make notes on them vs trying to copy down what is on the slide before you move on

Personally I tried looking up some airfare like what you did with multi city NY-LAX-NY-random city and didn't get even close to your price range. I feel like I am missing something here...don't know if having a handout would help but who knows.

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: May 06, 2013, 09:52:09 AM »
Did anyone note the time I finished the slides? I think it was about 10:20, so that would mean I covered 70 slides in about 135 minutes.
10:22:03 exactly.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #1726 on: May 06, 2013, 09:52:32 AM »
Ya tht sounds about right.
Personally I tried looking up some airfare like what you did with multi city NY-LAX-NY-random city and didn't get even close to your price range. I feel like I am missing something here...

+1. Is this discussed somewhere in the forum? If yes I couldn't find it.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1727 on: May 06, 2013, 09:54:14 AM »
That's why I made a GoCode on the slide:
http://www.dansdeals.com/go/3/
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: May 06, 2013, 09:55:05 AM »
How did he pull that off?
Thats the PGGMII
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Moishel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: May 06, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »
Dan, on the screenshots of AA award booking, on the upper right hand, I saw the amount of available miles in your account......

I guess it slipped through, unless you don't mind people knowing what's in your account......
I think Dan takes pride with the amount of miles he has, nothing to be ashamed of.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1730 on: May 06, 2013, 10:11:56 AM »
I think Dan takes pride with the amount of miles he has, nothing to be ashamed of.
It wasn't intentional, I got rid of it on the other airline slides. Not that it really matters either way.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline alpicone

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: May 06, 2013, 10:45:32 AM »
Its a complicated topic, and I'm sure they all at least got the gist of it ואידך פרושא זיל גמור

You really need to spend time trying to search for flights yourself to understand award booking. Every time I am searching for a flight I learn something new. Really hard to go into the advanced things when ppl don't know the basics.

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: May 06, 2013, 10:48:17 AM »
Dan, might be worth looking into having an intermediate workshop, where people will bring laptops etc and you will guide them through the steps, working in pairs etc.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline kangarruu

• View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: May 06, 2013, 10:50:58 AM »

Just to give a noob's perspective... I started reading up on ddf about 3 weeks ago and covered the basics by the time I attended the seminar. The first half was a nice refresher that reassured me that I had been doing things correctly. The second half was a good outline for people who are serious about the...lifestyle  ;)

I can't say I followed most of the second half, as it was definitely faster paced. But you introduced a lot of resources and you frequently referred back to ddf or your archives for more information. It's not your job to spoon-feed us. I think you did an excellent job of displaying the possibilities so that everyone can better direct their future research.

And to the chauvinists: first, please don't assume this forum is populated entirely by men. Second, there was plenty of chatter in the men's section that made it difficult to hear.

Offline Ez

• View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: May 06, 2013, 10:59:04 AM »
+1
It would've helped if copies of at least a few of those screenshots were distributed to the crowd, so someone can research it by themselves. But i totally understand why he wouldn't do that.

Even on the forums it's not easy to get it properly, as it's not discussed too widely, and it's scattered in pieces all over the forum.

Offline SLP

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: May 06, 2013, 11:04:45 AM »
Maybe stressing that you need to research on your own and practice fake award bookings will help.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: May 06, 2013, 11:20:15 AM »
Just to give a noob's perspective... I started reading up on ddf about 3 weeks ago and covered the basics by the time I attended the seminar. The first half was a nice refresher that reassured me that I had been doing things correctly. The second half was a good outline for people who are serious about the...lifestyle  ;)

I can't say I followed most of the second half, as it was definitely faster paced. But you introduced a lot of resources and you frequently referred back to ddf or your archives for more information. It's not your job to spoon-feed us. I think you did an excellent job of displaying the possibilities so that everyone can better direct their future research.

And to the chauvinists: first, please don't assume this forum is populated entirely by men. Second, there was plenty of chatter in the men's section that made it difficult to hear.
Thanks for the feedback!

Feel free to chime in here as well folks:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/30550

Offline Shreknit

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: May 06, 2013, 11:36:58 AM »
Dan what was the itinerary again for the 3 delta flights  with cancelation for amex plat?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: May 06, 2013, 11:37:14 AM »
BP is awesome, I learned all about the ITA Mah-treex and so much more :D

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: May 06, 2013, 11:42:55 AM »
Dan what was the itinerary again for the 3 delta flights  with cancelation for amex plat?
This. FYI, if you ever want Dan to answer, don't address your question to him.