Topic Wiki

1. Crown Heights, Brooklyn NY: Tues, 06/25/12. Cost: Free. Attendance: 120 (including jewda, bd"e). Location: Nosson's Shul. Organized by Nosson's Shul, Geshem Center, and Crown Heights Young Entrepreneurs. Men only.  Opening line: So the good news is that I hear there's no line for the lady's room.

2. Boro Park, Brooklyn NY: Sun, 05/05/13.  Cost: $5. Attendance: 450. Location: Bais Yaakov of Boro Park. Organized by DovTheBear.  Opening line: I'd like to thank everyone for coming to this internet asifa to learn about the dangers of the internet...

3. Lakewood, NJ: Tues, 05/07/13.  Cost: $5. Attendance: 275. Location: Park Terrace. Organized by Lakewood Lunch N' Learn, Plainbochur.  Opening story: Leaving with Mimi to Buenos Aires for a night on a glitch ticket an hour after ticketing

4. Chicago, IL: Thurs, 06/06/13.  Cost: $8. Attendance: 225. Location: WiFi Building. Organized by Kehilla Fund.  Opening story: Connecting in ORD on the way to a mystery destination trip with Mimi.

5. Cleveland, OH: M"S, 11/09/13.   Cost: $10. Attendance: 200. Location: Chabad of Beachwood. Organized by Chabad of Beachwood.  Opening story: Buenos Aires.

6. Los Angeles, CA: Mon, Dec 23 2013.   Cost: $10. Attendance: 375. Location: Kanner Hall. Organized by BigDanFan, Sharei Tefila.  Opening story: The LA roots of DansDeals.

7. Teaneck, NJ - Scheduled for Tues, 01/07/14. Cost: $10. Attendance: 400. Location: Ma’ayanot School for Girls. Organized by  AMIT of Greater Teaneck.  Opening story: "Does anyone have the password to this laptop?"

8. Five Towns, NY - Scheduled for Weds, 01/08/14  Cost: $10. Attendance: 550. Location: Young Israel of Lawrence-Cedarhurst. Organized by  Levi Yitzchak Family Center and Library.  Opening story:  woke up yesterday morn- house freezing cold- no electricity, flights delayed or cancelled power of HUCA and still made it!

9. Weston, FL 04/13-04/23  Attendance 200 (5 sessions, Closed to Smilow pesach attendees)

10. Miami, FL 06/19/14,  Cost: $10, Attendance 150

11. Boro Park 06/24/14, Cost $12,  Attendance 550

12. Monsey 06/25/14, Cost $12,  Attendance 400

13. Crown Heights 11/19/14, Cost $13,  Attendance 450

14. Kinnus Downtown Brooklyn 11/20/14,  Attendance 150 (Closed to kinnus attendees)

15. Jerusalem 03/07/15, Cost $13, Attendance 500

16. Whistler, BC 04/11/17-04/18/17  Attendance 400 (4 sessions, Closed to POTM pesach attendees)

17. Antarctica 12/10/20-12/20/18 Attendance 50 (4 sessions, Closed to Kosher Antarctica attendees)
« Last edited by Dan on March 09, 2021, 09:21:52 PM »

Author Topic: Host A DansDeals Seminar?  (Read 820072 times)

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Re: Host A DansDeals Seminar?
« Reply #140 on: June 04, 2012, 08:51:05 AM »
I bet you'll enjoy it....
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2012, 09:16:24 AM »
I bet you'll enjoy it....
I think everyone would enjoy an easy way to meet all their spending requirements more.  :)
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2012, 10:00:12 AM »
i think another guest speaker should be Dave Ramsey :P
Ha!
Seriously, Dan should make it clear that credit is not for everyone. If you don't have financial discipline, better not to apply for credit at all.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2012, 10:08:11 AM »
Ha!
Seriously, Dan should make it clear that credit is not for everyone. If you don't have financial discipline, better not to apply for credit at all.

+1

There are two prerequisites to this game:

1) Financial  wherewithal (ability to pay in full) and financial discipline (actually paying in full) and,
2) Organization

Without either of those two, you might as well stay home.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2012, 10:13:53 AM »

1) Financial  wherewithal (ability to pay in full) and financial discipline (actually paying in full) and,
2) Organization

I would add a third (common sense) and put it at the top of the list.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2012, 10:23:55 AM »
+1

2) Organization

Discipline also includes not spending money you don't have and not buying things you don't need.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline shmiel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2012, 11:01:54 AM »
Just brainstorming some potential topics for a seminar.  My thought is to target a beginner-intermediate crowd but to sprinkle in stuff to appeal as broadly as possible.  If you are an expert user though you may find yourself bored.

What other topics would you want to see covered?

Paid tickets/stays:
-Where to search.
-When to book, when to fly.
-Tools to find discounted tickets via tricks like hidden-city.
-Fuel dumping.
-Elite status, matching, and challenges.
-Mileage runs
-Priceline tricks and tips.

Credit cards:
-Credit scores and effects from card churning and closing.
-FICO/FAKO
-Multiple browsers
-Churning amongst the different banks.
-Methods of meeting spending requirements
-Staying under the radar.
-Consumer vs. business
-Cards for benefits and cards for spending.
-Maximizing purchases by choosing the right card
-Retention bonuses
-Annual fees

Award Tickets and miles:
-Airline miles, hotel points, transferable points, and non-transferable points.
-When to pay and when to redeem.
-Expiration policies
-Fuel surcharges
-Infant fees
-Searching for awards on partner airline sites.
-Searching for awards on subscription sites.
-Saver/Standard awards.
-Alliance partners awards.
-Non-alliance partner awards.
-Award Holds.
-RTW/alternative flight awards
-Stopover, Open-jaw, and trailing leg awards.

DDF plug!

Q&A session.
Fuel Dumping. I'd be in just for that, although it doesn't seem to be as relevant today as it once was.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2012, 12:47:14 PM »
Fuel Dumping. I'd be in just for that, although it doesn't seem to be as relevant today as it once was.
As you can see from the sheer number of topics, there won't be much depth to satisfy most regular DDF'ers.
An hour could easily be spent on any of the subtopics, but that's just not practical.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2012, 12:51:42 PM »
Appreciate all the suggestions guys, I've added them to the agenda.

Right now I'm thinking of the last week of June or the first week of July in the NYC area.  I'm not planning on charging anything, though I wouldn't be opposed to a charity making a few bucks in exchange for hosting.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2012, 01:01:25 PM »
I'm sure there's going to be a load of new members on ddf after the seminar.

An idea would be to teach the basics of searching/posting on ddf instead of having 100 n00bs asking questions in the wrong threads and starting new threads for no reason. - The reason why this idea it a bit impractical is bec its going to be hard to show somebody around a place that hes never been to.

A better idea would be to set up a master thread with links to all the basic threads.
Then when all the new members enroll, they would be directed there and they would be able to find the correct thread to post in (and possibly to even find an answer before posting  ;) )

/Just my 0.02

Offline Yitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2012, 01:09:42 PM »
Appreciate all the suggestions guys, I've added them to the agenda.

Right now I'm thinking of the last week of June or the first week of July in the NYC area.  I'm not planning on charging anything, though I wouldn't be opposed to a charity making a few bucks in exchange for hosting.
You are a real Mentsch

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #151 on: June 04, 2012, 01:14:11 PM »
As you can see from the sheer number of topics, there won't be much depth to satisfy most regular DDF'ers.
An hour could easily be spent on any of the subtopics, but that's just not practical.

Any chance we can vote on a single topic to go in-depth on?

A better idea would be to set up a master thread with links to all the basic threads.

Feel free to create such a thread.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 04, 2012, 01:23:46 PM »
Any chance we can vote on a single topic to go in-depth on?

The DO n00bs (whose friends are on DD and shlepped them to the DO) will vote one way, The DD people will vote another way, the DDF people (who know all that stuff already) will vote to hear more advanced stuff. The people who attend the event should be the ones to vote IMHO, though I know they won't vote for anything that interests me much.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 04, 2012, 01:33:09 PM »
The DO n00bs (whose friends are on DD and shlepped them to the DO) will vote one way, The DD people will vote another way, the DDF people (who know all that stuff already) will vote to hear more advanced stuff. The people who attend the event should be the ones to vote IMHO, though I know they won't vote for anything that interests me much.

I was (obviously?) referring to that. How else would the others vote on a DDF poll?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 04, 2012, 01:43:07 PM »
I was (obviously?) referring to that. How else would the others vote on a DDF poll?

I understood you were referring to that, and I'm suggesting many of that attendees of such an event (if it is marketed on DD, especially if people are told to bring their friends) would be interested in the more basic stuff.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 04, 2012, 01:44:35 PM »
I understood you were referring to that, and I'm suggesting many of that attendees of such an event (if it is marketed on DD, especially if people are told to bring their friends) would be interested in the more basic stuff.

...which is why I suggested that perhaps the seminar could delve into a single, voted upon, topic more in depth (in addition to the basic topics).

I think we're talking in circles.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #156 on: June 04, 2012, 01:51:47 PM »
I think we're talking in circles.
I get the feeling this is a common occurrence with you 2.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 04, 2012, 02:05:41 PM »
Start off with everyone in one group. It would then be best to break up into different groups based on comfort level. In the advanced groups let the members of that group decide the topic.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 04, 2012, 02:08:12 PM »
I get the feeling this is a common occurrence with you 2.

Nahhh. Perhaps it used to be... not so much anymore.

Start off with everyone in one group. It would then be best to break up into different groups based on comfort level. In the advanced groups let the members of that group decide the topic.

Do you also suggest Dan be cloned?  :)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #159 on: June 04, 2012, 02:20:06 PM »
Do you also suggest Dan be cloned?  :)
IIRC HelpMe would try to come to a seminar maybe he will lead one group.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)