Topic Wiki

1. Crown Heights, Brooklyn NY: Tues, 06/25/12. Cost: Free. Attendance: 120 (including jewda, bd"e). Location: Nosson's Shul. Organized by Nosson's Shul, Geshem Center, and Crown Heights Young Entrepreneurs. Men only.  Opening line: So the good news is that I hear there's no line for the lady's room.

2. Boro Park, Brooklyn NY: Sun, 05/05/13.  Cost: $5. Attendance: 450. Location: Bais Yaakov of Boro Park. Organized by DovTheBear.  Opening line: I'd like to thank everyone for coming to this internet asifa to learn about the dangers of the internet...

3. Lakewood, NJ: Tues, 05/07/13.  Cost: $5. Attendance: 275. Location: Park Terrace. Organized by Lakewood Lunch N' Learn, Plainbochur.  Opening story: Leaving with Mimi to Buenos Aires for a night on a glitch ticket an hour after ticketing

4. Chicago, IL: Thurs, 06/06/13.  Cost: $8. Attendance: 225. Location: WiFi Building. Organized by Kehilla Fund.  Opening story: Connecting in ORD on the way to a mystery destination trip with Mimi.

5. Cleveland, OH: M"S, 11/09/13.   Cost: $10. Attendance: 200. Location: Chabad of Beachwood. Organized by Chabad of Beachwood.  Opening story: Buenos Aires.

6. Los Angeles, CA: Mon, Dec 23 2013.   Cost: $10. Attendance: 375. Location: Kanner Hall. Organized by BigDanFan, Sharei Tefila.  Opening story: The LA roots of DansDeals.

7. Teaneck, NJ - Scheduled for Tues, 01/07/14. Cost: $10. Attendance: 400. Location: Ma’ayanot School for Girls. Organized by  AMIT of Greater Teaneck.  Opening story: "Does anyone have the password to this laptop?"

8. Five Towns, NY - Scheduled for Weds, 01/08/14  Cost: $10. Attendance: 550. Location: Young Israel of Lawrence-Cedarhurst. Organized by  Levi Yitzchak Family Center and Library.  Opening story:  woke up yesterday morn- house freezing cold- no electricity, flights delayed or cancelled power of HUCA and still made it!

9. Weston, FL 04/13-04/23  Attendance 200 (5 sessions, Closed to Smilow pesach attendees)

10. Miami, FL 06/19/14,  Cost: $10, Attendance 150

11. Boro Park 06/24/14, Cost $12,  Attendance 550

12. Monsey 06/25/14, Cost $12,  Attendance 400

13. Crown Heights 11/19/14, Cost $13,  Attendance 450

14. Kinnus Downtown Brooklyn 11/20/14,  Attendance 150 (Closed to kinnus attendees)

15. Jerusalem 03/07/15, Cost $13, Attendance 500

16. Whistler, BC 04/11/17-04/18/17  Attendance 400 (4 sessions, Closed to POTM pesach attendees)

17. Antarctica 12/10/20-12/20/18 Attendance 50 (4 sessions, Closed to Kosher Antarctica attendees)
« Last edited by Dan on March 09, 2021, 09:21:52 PM »

Author Topic: Host A DansDeals Seminar?  (Read 820094 times)

Offline springles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Host A DansDeals Seminar?
« Reply #340 on: June 21, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
This isn't a bad idea... except instead of emails, you may want to post your (somewhat detailed) outline on DDF and ask for suggestions from the people who will be attending, if you're up for it.
That's just as good. I just figured emails would directly target the ppl who rsvp'd and not get ppl who won't be there making suggestions. Let the ppl who will be there give some direction to the topics, not ppl who won't be there. My assumption was that most ddf'ers weren't attending since this seems aimed at ppl less experienced but it seems that assumption was wrong. As they say, "Assuming makes an a** out of you and ming."
Also, emails would allow for ppl who might be hesitant to ask their questions in a more public forum or who aren't on ddf (yes they should join but if they haven't and they are coming they should still have a say).

As I said, I won't be able to make it that night but figured I'd make that suggestion as I've seen some q&a's fail because of the questions. .

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #341 on: June 21, 2012, 11:47:19 AM »
I don't think Amazon Payments lets me see people's email addresses.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #342 on: June 21, 2012, 11:49:46 AM »
That's just as good. I just figured emails would directly target the ppl who rsvp'd and not get ppl who won't be there making suggestions. Let the ppl who will be there give some direction to the topics, not ppl who won't be there. My assumption was that most ddf'ers weren't attending since this seems aimed at ppl less experienced but it seems that assumption was wrong. As they say, "Assuming makes an a** out of you and ming."
Also, emails would allow for ppl who might be hesitant to ask their questions in a more public forum or who aren't on ddf (yes they should join but if they haven't and they are coming they should still have a say).
why do people that if someone is on ddf then it makea him more experienced?  There are some people here (including myself) that are experienced in one field but a n00b in a diff field

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #343 on: June 21, 2012, 11:51:56 AM »
There are some people here (including myself) that are experienced in one field but a n00b in a diff field
+1
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #344 on: June 21, 2012, 12:00:32 PM »
2/3rds of the seats have been reserved, rsvp now if you'd like to attend!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline askmoses

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: June 21, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
Can't you click on the details of payment and click "pay this user" and it'll display? I very well might be getting mixed up between a AP user you paid and one who paid you....

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #346 on: June 21, 2012, 12:21:42 PM »
Can't you click on the details of payment and click "pay this user" and it'll display? I very well might be getting mixed up between a AP user you paid and one who paid you....
you could but not if the person has an alias.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 21, 2012, 12:32:04 PM »
Challenge accepted! :P

Go here. Change the filter to whatever makes sense. Past the line below into the address bar, type javascript: before the pasted line (it should look like: javascript:$("<div></div>") etc) and hit enter. :)
$("<div></div>").attr("id","email_iframe_container").css("display","none").appendTo(document.body);$("<div></div>").attr("id","emails").css({position:"absolute",width:"400px",height:"400px",border:"3px solid black",padding:"10px",top:"100px",left:(($(window).width()-420)/2)+"px",background:"lightGrey",overflow:"scroll"}).appendTo(document.body);$('a[href^="/sdui/sdui/txndetail"]').each(function(){$("<iframe></iframe>").attr("src",$(this).attr("href")).load(function(){var a=$(this).contents().find("#fromPTULink").attr("href");if(a!==undefined){$("#emails").html($("#emails").html()+"<br />"+a.split("=")[1]+",")}$(this).remove();checkIfFinished()}).appendTo($("#email_iframe_container"))});function checkIfFinished(){if($("#email_iframe_container iframe").length===0){alert("done")}};

I only tested in it Chrome...

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #348 on: June 21, 2012, 12:58:28 PM »
Challenge accepted! :P

Go here. Change the filter to whatever makes sense. Past the line below into the address bar, type javascript: before the pasted line (it should look like: javascript:$("<div></div>") etc) and hit enter. :)
I only tested in it Chrome...
pretty cool!

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 21, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »
why do people that if someone is on ddf then it makea him more experienced?  There are some people here (including myself) that are experienced in one field but a n00b in a diff field

+100

Offline Cholentfresser

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 21, 2012, 01:12:32 PM »
+1 I'm experienced in clicking 'show unread posts' with my eyes closed.  ::)
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 21, 2012, 02:16:06 PM »
come on, if someone spends a significant part of his time on ddf then I think it is a fair assumption that he is not a beginner (at least not after several months on ddf).  Of course this is speaking in general terms but I'd feel confident to say that the average ddf'er is more experienced than the average dd main page guy.  That doesnt mean an expert in everything and that doesnt mean that most ddf'ers wouldnt gain from this seminar. 
And with Dan's target audience of beginner/intermediate and his frequent warnings that more advanced people may be bored I'm surprised that some of the most experienced DDF'ers are going.  I guess its being looked at as a DO of sorts.  Obviously I am not saying that anyone shouldnt be going, just explaining my earliest assumption that there will be many non ddf'ers at this event.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 21, 2012, 02:21:29 PM »
I have indeed said many times that DDF'ers may be bored.
But having said that I would guess that even the more experienced DDF'ers didn't learn a thing or 2 even if most of it is old news to them. YMMV.

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 21, 2012, 02:33:11 PM »
But having said that I would guess that even the more experienced DDF'ers didn't learn a thing or 2 even if most of it is old news to them. YMMV.
of course, there is always something to be learned. I would have come if I wasnt busy.
I hope in the future you will also hold seminars for the intermediate/more experienced person

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #354 on: June 21, 2012, 03:01:19 PM »
of course, there is always something to be learned. I would have come if I wasnt busy.
I hope in the future you will also hold seminars for the intermediate/more experienced person

+1, though it'd be harder to prepare for probably.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline askmoses

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 21, 2012, 03:12:52 PM »
Maybe some extra tips that you throw out using lingo only we would understand??? It would be a funny close...
You'll be able to spot the DDF members because they are the ones with the wallet full of 4 pounds of plastic (and a couple of SP as well... although I only got one of them currently...)

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 21, 2012, 03:18:14 PM »
+1, though it'd be harder to prepare for probably.

I'm not so sure about that.

Isn't it easier to teach/learn new things based on already known principals, as opposed to teaching/leaning a whole new concept(s) from scratch?

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #357 on: June 21, 2012, 03:18:45 PM »
2/3rds of the seats have been reserved, rsvp now if you'd like to attend!
I'd like to...
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 21, 2012, 03:20:30 PM »
I'd like to...
I actually have a free voucher for a RT LY ticket to TLV...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 21, 2012, 03:25:07 PM »
75% full.