Topic Wiki

1. Crown Heights, Brooklyn NY: Tues, 06/25/12. Cost: Free. Attendance: 120 (including jewda, bd"e). Location: Nosson's Shul. Organized by Nosson's Shul, Geshem Center, and Crown Heights Young Entrepreneurs. Men only.  Opening line: So the good news is that I hear there's no line for the lady's room.

2. Boro Park, Brooklyn NY: Sun, 05/05/13.  Cost: $5. Attendance: 450. Location: Bais Yaakov of Boro Park. Organized by DovTheBear.  Opening line: I'd like to thank everyone for coming to this internet asifa to learn about the dangers of the internet...

3. Lakewood, NJ: Tues, 05/07/13.  Cost: $5. Attendance: 275. Location: Park Terrace. Organized by Lakewood Lunch N' Learn, Plainbochur.  Opening story: Leaving with Mimi to Buenos Aires for a night on a glitch ticket an hour after ticketing

4. Chicago, IL: Thurs, 06/06/13.  Cost: $8. Attendance: 225. Location: WiFi Building. Organized by Kehilla Fund.  Opening story: Connecting in ORD on the way to a mystery destination trip with Mimi.

5. Cleveland, OH: M"S, 11/09/13.   Cost: $10. Attendance: 200. Location: Chabad of Beachwood. Organized by Chabad of Beachwood.  Opening story: Buenos Aires.

6. Los Angeles, CA: Mon, Dec 23 2013.   Cost: $10. Attendance: 375. Location: Kanner Hall. Organized by BigDanFan, Sharei Tefila.  Opening story: The LA roots of DansDeals.

7. Teaneck, NJ - Scheduled for Tues, 01/07/14. Cost: $10. Attendance: 400. Location: Ma’ayanot School for Girls. Organized by  AMIT of Greater Teaneck.  Opening story: "Does anyone have the password to this laptop?"

8. Five Towns, NY - Scheduled for Weds, 01/08/14  Cost: $10. Attendance: 550. Location: Young Israel of Lawrence-Cedarhurst. Organized by  Levi Yitzchak Family Center and Library.  Opening story:  woke up yesterday morn- house freezing cold- no electricity, flights delayed or cancelled power of HUCA and still made it!

9. Weston, FL 04/13-04/23  Attendance 200 (5 sessions, Closed to Smilow pesach attendees)

10. Miami, FL 06/19/14,  Cost: $10, Attendance 150

11. Boro Park 06/24/14, Cost $12,  Attendance 550

12. Monsey 06/25/14, Cost $12,  Attendance 400

13. Crown Heights 11/19/14, Cost $13,  Attendance 450

14. Kinnus Downtown Brooklyn 11/20/14,  Attendance 150 (Closed to kinnus attendees)

15. Jerusalem 03/07/15, Cost $13, Attendance 500

16. Whistler, BC 04/11/17-04/18/17  Attendance 400 (4 sessions, Closed to POTM pesach attendees)

17. Antarctica 12/10/20-12/20/18 Attendance 50 (4 sessions, Closed to Kosher Antarctica attendees)
« Last edited by Dan on March 09, 2021, 09:21:52 PM »

Author Topic: Host A DansDeals Seminar?  (Read 826727 times)

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Host A DansDeals Seminar?
« Reply #1180 on: April 25, 2013, 08:46:55 PM »
2. Many people asked very specific questions about their own applications, credit score, experience booking tickets, ad nauseum. Be sure to clarify even during the Q&A that they must be questions everyone can gain from. Also be sure to tell people if it gets to specific or complicated you will have to move on to the next person.
+1

Offline Shreknit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 25, 2013, 08:47:06 PM »
What about saving all questions to the end at having limit?

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: April 25, 2013, 08:47:37 PM »
2. Many people asked very specific questions about their own applications, credit score, experience booking tickets, ad nauseum. Be sure to clarify even during the Q&A that they must be questions everyone can gain from. Also be sure to tell people if it gets to specific or complicated you will have to move on to the next person.
That's one good reason to have the questions submitted in writing.
(another is to give priority to questions asked by multiple people)

Maybe make a 2 question per topic limit.
Makes sense, but i assume there would also be a general q&a at the end?

Offline DovtheBear

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #1183 on: April 25, 2013, 08:48:32 PM »
It'll be very hard to ask and answer specific questions at the end.
"להסתובב זה לא אומר להיות חופשי"

Offline mmermss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: April 25, 2013, 08:49:35 PM »
I know...it was hard enough last year with less than half that crowd.

Not quite sure how I'll handle the questions this time around.  Suggestions from those who were there last year?
Here's my two cents from my experience last year. It started off not complicated and great for a beginner to understand and take in. Then started the questions and I got kinda lost. It was just so much information to take in in one shot. People started asking not even such advanced questions but for a total noob they won't have a clue what's going on.

Another thing- CMIIW but I don't think there are too many ddfers who are knowledgable and pros in all areas. Therefore I think even if your a pro at credit cards you can still learn a lot about finding flights etc.

Regarding questions asked- I won't be there this time so I'm not sure if I have a say but I really think questions should not be asked till end. Dan should just not answer questions. As simple as that. I think Dan explained the material very well last time and if any one has their own special question...come ask it on ddf. It gets soooo off topic and complicated once the questions were asked. Bedsides the fact that he was running out of time and he had to rush the end.  I think the point of it is for people to get their feet wet a little. For people to see what ddf is all about.not to walk out of those doors and think they're a pro and start advertising they're a TA.  If every Jo shmo asked their question in the middle ppl will not like it.

Overall I loved it last year and hope everyone learns a lot next week.  :)
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: April 25, 2013, 08:51:25 PM »
Another thing- CMIIW but I don't think there are too many ddfers who are knowledgable and pros in all areas. Therefore I think even if your a pro at credit cards you can still learn a lot about finding flights etc.
+100

I've been meaning to say the same thing...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1186 on: April 25, 2013, 08:53:39 PM »
Here's my two cents from my experience last year. It started off not complicated and great for a beginner to understand and take in. Then started the questions and I got kinda lost. It was just so much information to take in in one shot. People started asking not even such advanced questions but for a total noob they won't have a clue what's going on.

Regarding questions asked- I won't be there this time so I'm not sure if I have a say but I really think questions should not be asked till end. Dan should just not answer questions. As simple as that. I think Dan explained the material very well last time and if any one has their own special question...come ask it on ddf. It gets soooo off topic and complicated once the questions were asked. Bedsides the fact that he was running out of time and he had to rush the end.  I think the point of it is for people to get their feet wet a little. For people to see what ddf is all about.not to walk out of those doors and think they're a pro and start advertising they're a TA.  If every Jo shmo asked their question in the middle ppl will not like it.

Overall I loved it last year and hope everyone learns a lot next week.  :)

So your vote is no questions at all until the very end?

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline SGF

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
« Reply #1187 on: April 25, 2013, 08:53:51 PM »
You can also have everyone text their question to you and you will be able to read them off and decide if you want to answer them

Offline MEIR613

• View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 25, 2013, 08:54:20 PM »
not to walk out of those doors and think they're a pro and start advertising they're a TA. 
Why not :P

Offline MEIR613

• View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 25, 2013, 08:54:59 PM »
Yes
You can also have everyone text their question to you and you will be able to read them off and decide if you want to answer them

It won't work   

Offline DovtheBear

• View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #1190 on: April 25, 2013, 08:56:09 PM »
Dan,
Maybe add a poll?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1191 on: April 25, 2013, 08:59:06 PM »
Done.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1192 on: April 25, 2013, 09:04:23 PM »
How about have a moderator fielding the questions (people sending him notes) so he can weed out the dumb Questions/lump together the common ones/ask the question in a way everyone can understand etc.

Offline DovtheBear

• View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 25, 2013, 09:04:32 PM »
Hmmm. Now its a tough choice. :-\
I would think to generally answer written questions that were submitted beforehand, and then if there still are questions, take 3-4 after each topic.
Is that crazy?
How about have a moderator fielding the questions (people sending him notes) so he can weed out the dumb Questions/lump together the common ones/ask the question in a way everyone can understand etc.
Hmm. Not bad.

Offline mmermss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 25, 2013, 09:04:39 PM »
Yes. Trust me. There shouldn't be any really simple questions asked because that will be explained in the presentation. Any other questions should be asked only at end.

Now the question is how should that work out. I don't think there is a way that will make everyone happy because everyone wants their question answered. Just stress that if they go home that night and ask their question here without them starting the question "hey Dan"  :P then they will answered by other knowledgable ddfers who can help them out.

Or you can invite them to your hotel and you can answer all their questions there  :P
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline judahk88

• View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 25, 2013, 09:04:56 PM »
I don't think there should be any questions until the end. It will make things run much more smooth. There can be a half hour to 45 minutes at the end set aside for Q&A if it is running on time.

Offline smaxber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 25, 2013, 09:06:04 PM »
OK so we can all agree that asking questions in the middle can be counter productive right?
but waiting till the end can be confusing...so I would think the best way to go about this would be to have ppl email their questions in advance (although we all know most wont-even I do not know what exactly to ask I usually figure out my questions after hearing something that I find confusing or needs more explanation) and Dan can then put them together and answer them as he goes through the material in addition to having a 10-15 minutes MAX after each topic for any additional questions. If its something covered maybe refer them to DDF but then the forums will be flooded by  noobs following the seminar (dont think greatest idea but definitely preach on how helpful DDF is-maybe they'll get the hint)  but then again I feel Dan will be covering most of these questions since it is a beginner level.

I guess send out a tweet saying "WARNING: DUE TO THE AMOUNT OF REGISTERED ATTENDEES, THERE WILL BE LIMITED TIME FOR Q&A...please email your questions to *insert email* and I will try to assess them during my lecture. then and only then may you ask a question so as to make this seminar as efficient as possible...

I think is one of the best ways to go about this....please feel free to edit it. but IMO have them write their questions down and hold till the end of each topic/entire seminar

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 25, 2013, 09:07:42 PM »
I pick door number two, but allow free questions at the end if there is time...nothing to lose by that

Offline smaxber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: April 25, 2013, 09:07:51 PM »
regarding the poll: a popular question might be something sooooo basic...so i feel it'll already be addressed in the presentation...but what do I know

Offline lfas25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 25, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
I think you should accept questions before via email or hand written and you / DDFer will review them and take the ones that you think will be most helpful and bring them up during the seminar, or to help prove a point with the question etc

As well as accept questions at the end of the seminar, this way you could get more personal as well.
I only paid 15% by switching to dansdeals