Author Topic: HELP re: ebay shipping policies i charged $350.00 for shipping  (Read 7412 times)

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
Re: HELP re: ebay shipping policies i charged $350.00 for shipping
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 10:52:20 PM »
how long has it been once he recived the item to him complain?
He could only complain up to 45 days

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 10:53:33 PM »
Was the phone really brand new in sealed box?
If its an open box, even though its still new, it would have to be listed as "New other" if not the buyer has a valid claim

Offline coregis

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 12:31:18 PM »
btw thanks for all the encourgement from e/o that i wont win
It's going to be your word against his. eBay will take the buyer's side 99.9999% of the time. That's just how they operate. Nobody who is knowledgeable will tell you anything different.

Your case of a buyer claiming the item was not as described (regardless of the actual item condition) is not unusual. In my opinion you will not win this case regardless of any evidence you may have.

You are lucky the buyer is not claiming they never received the item. Even with a tracking number purchased through eBay showing delivered they will side with the buyer. You must have signature confirmation to prove delivery, regardless of cost of the item. I will assume for something this expensive you did that, but just to warn others. And even then it is Paypal's seller protection that will refund you, they will never tell the buyer they are lying (when they claim 'not my signature!') and will still refund the money to the buyer as well as you the seller.

Your best option is to be polite and ask for the item to be returned and then give a refund.

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 12:43:46 PM »
+1

Offline real-brisker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 06:13:16 PM »
Hey - you want everyone's honest opinion?

These things happen on ebay, sellers always get burnt. I have been selling for a few years... I could say I know ebay pretty well.

You could PM me or someone else the ebay item # - seems like people here are trying to help
Yeh, and thats  even after all the fees they charge  us!

Offline isrealsuits

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 10:37:09 PM »
ok so basically the guy opened a case and ebay of course ruled in his favor that he can send back the phone and  he will get a full refund.
i received the item back and he sent it back with an after market charger, peeled off the plastic on the phone, and put in the battery.
(I called the carrier and they said the phone was never activated.) If you look at ebay's policy they say for a refund on returns it needs to be given back the same way it was received. How do I prove that he did these things with the phone or any other ideas?

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 10:53:35 PM »
Are you really in the right? Just out of curiosity,  if you don't mind answering my question.  . .

Was the phone really brand new in sealed box?

Offline isrealsuits

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 11:27:21 PM »
yes of course the item was brand new

Offline Yisha

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 01:33:06 AM »
If you're a seller on ebay, you're main goal should be to get a 100% positive feedback, unless this was a 1 time thing.

Offline Yisha

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2012, 01:35:00 AM »
What I would do (and actually did many times) contact the buyer and excuse you're self for him and offer him a refund in exchange for a positive feedback. Most of the times it works. Good luck!

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 08:42:50 AM »
What I would do (and actually did many times) contact the buyer and excuse you're self for him and offer him a refund in exchange for a positive feedback. Most of the times it works. Good luck!

Once a case was opened the buyer cant leave negative feedback.

But as a seller you do not want the buyer to open a case since if you have too many cases opened you will not be able to reach the top rated seller status.

Also in this case it seems like isrealsuits's doenst want to loose a lot of money, as he sold a new phone and now for him to resell it there will be a loss.

My opinion - firstly contact eBay and speak to a rep - they will usually guide you thru what to do in this case.
Also - even to resell this phone, the price of used is also going pretty high now, you could Sell it as "New other" and put in the description that it was returned by the buyer, never activated....

i received the item back and he sent it back with an after market charger, peeled off the plastic on the phone, and put in the battery.
(I called the carrier and they said the phone was never activated.) If you look at ebay's policy they say for a refund on returns it needs to be given back the same way it was received. How do I prove that he did these things with the phone or any other ideas?
Speak with ebay about this, I do not know how you could prove your side... But call them

Offline coregis

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 09:21:50 PM »
If you look at ebay's policy they say for a refund on returns it needs to be given back the same way it was received. How do I prove that he did these things with the phone or any other ideas?
I suppose a video of you packing the item, then dropping it off at the post office (without stopping the recording), and then another video of him opening the package clearly showing the item in new condition, and then a third video of him putting the altered product back into the return box should cover the proof.

But even then I would bet eBay will still find in the favor of the buyer.

Definitely call or write eBay and give it a shot, but don't get your hopes up. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but getting screwed over by buyers on eBay/Amazon is part of the 'experience' and the sites could care less about the sellers.

The best case would probably be to try to get compensated for $20 or something. Try to get the buyer to admit he opened it and have him refunded less than the full purchase price. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:31:09 PM by coregis »

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 12:18:51 AM »
I suppose a video of you packing the item, then dropping it off at the post office (without stopping the recording), and then another video of him opening the package clearly showing the item in new condition, and then a third video of him putting the altered product back into the return box should cover the proof.

But even then I would bet eBay will still find in the favor of the buyer.

Definitely call or write eBay and give it a shot, but don't get your hopes up. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but getting screwed over by buyers on eBay/Amazon is part of the 'experience' and the sites could care less about the sellers.

The best case would probably be to try to get compensated for $20 or something. Try to get the buyer to admit he opened it and have him refunded less than the full purchase price.
Well said.

Also if you are able to get the buyer to admit in ebay messaging, you could use that in your favor, and then possibly win the case

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 02:18:19 PM »
Well said.

Also if you are able to get the buyer to admit in ebay messaging, you could use that in your favor, and then possibly win the case
+1 I once had  buyer return a BB without the charger (granted not as bad, and possibly just a mistake) and I told him that I cannot issue a refund until all items are returned, plus I offered to pay return shipping for the charger (as I really needed it back) and he sent it back!

Offline isrealsuits

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 03:34:31 PM »
I called ebay to appeal they were willing to credit me the price of the phone $119 but not the price of shipping $375 they said they dont protect shipping i argued that the same way they credit the buyer for shipping they should protect me the seller i asked to speak to a manager they supposed to call me back

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 03:38:22 PM »
I called ebay to appeal they were willing to credit me the price of the phone $119 but not the price of shipping $375 they said they dont protect shipping i argued that the same way they credit the buyer for shipping they should protect me the seller i asked to speak to a manager they supposed to call me back
Good Luck

Another reason why to not jack up shipping price.