Author Topic: Genealogist?  (Read 24729 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Genealogist?
« on: February 15, 2012, 06:38:52 AM »
My family is looking to hire a genealogist. A wealthy aunt is sponsoring it, so price is not an issue. Anyone have any recommendations?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogist?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:43:08 AM »
My family is looking to hire a genealogist. A wealthy aunt is sponsoring it, so price is not an issue. Anyone have any recommendations?

Paging Avid Reader...
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 07:43:46 AM »
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:31:25 PM »

Offline mclovin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 04:48:17 PM »
pm him

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 12:19:13 PM »
I just saw this thread. Thanks AsherO, and thanks PlatinumGuy for the PM.

Offline yitzf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 04:24:37 PM »
Don't know if she's any good, Judi Caplan http://www.uproots-genealogy-services.com  but she's definitely a reliable person.

Specializes in NYC and Long Island area
------
For a directory check here
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:34:15 PM by yitzf »

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 01:08:32 AM »
For anyone starting out in Jewish genealogy http://www.jewishgen.org/ has tons of great info.

But most of the great info lays in the memories of your own family members. Start by picking the brains of your parents and grandparents, great aunts and uncles. They usually have the foundation and leads you need to build your tree.

From Generation to Generation: How to Trace Your Jewish Genealogy and Family History
This is one of my best books on genealogy. I've read this several times over the last few years.

Geni.com used to be great for building family trees in collaboration with other family members, and they still are, except that they recently imposed a limit of 100 profiles with free accounts. And the paid options aren't very reasonable reasonable. I hope they get bought out by Ancestry or another company with better marketing skills and pricing schemes.

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 01:28:52 AM »
Anybody have any tips find relatives on Geni.com
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 11:00:04 AM »

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 05:38:33 AM »
For anyone starting out in Jewish genealogy http://www.jewishgen.org/ has tons of great info.

But most of the great info lays in the memories of your own family members. Start by picking the brains of your parents and grandparents, great aunts and uncles. They usually have the foundation and leads you need to build your tree.

From Generation to Generation: How to Trace Your Jewish Genealogy and Family History
This is one of my best books on genealogy. I've read this several times over the last few years.

Geni.com used to be great for building family trees in collaboration with other family members, and they still are, except that they recently imposed a limit of 100 profiles with free accounts. And the paid options aren't very reasonable reasonable. I hope they get bought out by Ancestry or another company with better marketing skills and pricing schemes.
I can't stress that enough..  I'm really p.o. at Geni  >:(
Could you imagine what it feels like when you one day discover some names of your great great grandparents etc., and after you enter the info and hit enter, you are told that you have a limit but you can upgrade for only $9.99/mo. bla bla?
Well, that's exactly what happened to me! 

I urge everyone out there to import your family tree from Geni to MyHeritage.  MyHeritage is an Israeli start-up, and IIRC i read that they are larger and more popular worldwide than Geni.  Moreover, IIRC they work hand in hand with the US holocaust museum, and have a very large database of Shoah victims and ybdl'ct survivors.
It's not difficult to move a family tree, you just have to export the gedcom file from geni, and your all set!

IIRC, MyHeritage even gives you a "private website" for your family's tree!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:42:58 AM by Galitzyaner »

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 05:43:20 AM »
I tottaly syphathise with you about Geni's unfair practices. I've been hurt as well.
I don't believe you have the same colabartive abilities in MyHeritage as you have with Geni. CMIIW.

How much does MyHeritage cost a year?

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 05:57:08 AM »
I tottaly syphathise with you about Geni's unfair practices. I've been hurt as well.
I don't believe you have the same colabartive abilities in MyHeritage as you have with Geni. CMIIW.
It's a give and take (vis-a-vis features), some are better here, some there..
While I do wish MyHeritage had as good a UI/tree as Geni, however my primary value in this service is to preserve the family tree and history..  It's not like I'm gonna be scrolling trough my family tree every day.. When I am told that I can't add family to a tree, that for me is way beyond intolerable, I think that it's exploitation (considering how many millions have built their family trees by them, after millions of hours of research and work).  Disgrace.
How much does MyHeritage cost a year?
Cost?  :o  You think I'd be on DDF to pay for stuff?!  :D

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 07:54:19 AM »
It's a give and take (vis-a-vis features), some are better here, some there..
While I do wish MyHeritage had as good a UI/tree as Geni, however my primary value in this service is to preserve the family tree and history..  It's not like I'm gonna be scrolling trough my family tree every day.. When I am told that I can't add family to a tree, that for me is way beyond intolerable, I think that it's exploitation (considering how many millions have built their family trees by them, after millions of hours of research and work).  Disgrace.Cost?  :o  You think I'd be on DDF to pay for stuff?!  :D

Lol...
Thanks for the update. I'm gonna check it out.

Offline shmuelb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
Re: Genealogist? - Promo from geni.com
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 08:29:07 AM »
Check this out, received in my email.  8)

FREE Labor Day Weekend
Add Unlimited Relatives!
Dear Barak O Bama Dan Fan The First,

Between August 31 - September 3, you can add unlimited people to your family tree for FREE! Whether you've welcomed a new member to the family or discovered a new branch of ancestors, here's your chance to add their place in your family tree. Add as many people as you can because you get to keep each new addition to your tree at no extra charge! And remember to invite your relatives to join in on the genealogy fun to help build your family tree even faster! In no time, you'll be discovering new relatives and making connections with family you never knew you had.

Hurry, this special offer is only available this Labor Day weekend between August 31 - September 3! Preserve your family history - login to your Geni account now to get started!
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 04:40:48 PM »
I can't stress that enough..  I'm really p.o. at Geni  >:(
Could you imagine what it feels like when you one day discover some names of your great great grandparents etc., and after you enter the info and hit enter, you are told that you have a limit but you can upgrade for only $9.99/mo. bla bla?
Well, that's exactly what happened to me! 

I urge everyone out there to import your family tree from Geni to MyHeritage.  MyHeritage is an Israeli start-up, and IIRC i read that they are larger and more popular worldwide than Geni.  Moreover, IIRC they work hand in hand with the US holocaust museum, and have a very large database of Shoah victims and ybdl'ct survivors.
It's not difficult to move a family tree, you just have to export the gedcom file from geni, and your all set!

IIRC, MyHeritage even gives you a "private website" for your family's tree!
"export the gedcom file from geni" How do you do that?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline Centurion

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg plat,avis pres ,hertz plat ,AAexcutime, delta plat,hilton gold, united
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 04:43:57 PM »
somebody "rutner" from monsey n.y. / israel does a great job (chasidish) family trees (he is the expert in those ciircles)
you can only make a first impression ONCE

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 05:10:19 PM »
Galitzyaner sounded like you can do it yourself. I have a big tree on geni already.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:37:22 PM by Thingywingy »

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 06:16:59 PM »
To download your GEDCOM file, make sure you are logged in to Geni and click the 'Family' tab and then click the 'Share Your Tree' link. When you click the button to export your GEDCOM file, we will generate your GEDCOM file and send you a link to download it.

GEDCOM is a standard file format used to save, transfer, and transport genealogical information. Exporting a GEDCOM file will allow you to save your Geni family tree to your own computer.

Then to open and read the GEDCOM file you exported from Geni, you will need an application that is able to read a GEDCOM file. As there are a number of such applications, you may even be able to locate a free one by searching online.

*Note: Export Forest including connected inlaw trees ( up to 100,000 total individual records). A Forest export may take several days to complete. Tip: You can export a GEDCOM file for any profile where you have permission to view the family tree.

http://help.geni.com/entries/466639-how-can-i-export-my-gedcom

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 12:19:05 AM »
"export the gedcom file from geni" How do you do that?
Galitzyaner sounded like you can do it yourself. I have a big tree on geni already.
You can.
To download your GEDCOM file, make sure you are logged in to Geni and click the 'Family' tab and then click the 'Share Your Tree' link. When you click the button to export your GEDCOM file, we will generate your GEDCOM file and send you a link to download it.

GEDCOM is a standard file format used to save, transfer, and transport genealogical information. Exporting a GEDCOM file will allow you to save your Geni family tree to your own computer.

Then to open and read the GEDCOM file you exported from Geni, you will need an application that is able to read a GEDCOM file. As there are a number of such applications, you may even be able to locate a free one by searching online.

*Note: Export Forest including connected inlaw trees ( up to 100,000 total individual records). A Forest export may take several days to complete. Tip: You can export a GEDCOM file for any profile where you have permission to view the family tree.

http://help.geni.com/entries/466639-how-can-i-export-my-gedcom
So you answered your own question, great!  !ממנו יראו וכן יעשו