Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 406834 times)

Offline kangarruu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Going To Law School & Pros And Cons Of Being A Lawyer Master Thread
« Reply #1020 on: November 03, 2015, 06:27:22 PM »
Big law is the *only* way in the short term to effectively service nearly $200K in debt if you want any prayer of getting out from underneath the mountain before you can collect SS, notwithstanding your allegation that big law "is over over over-rated."

There's also PAYE plus PSLF for government or nonprofit service. 10 years of relatively small payments, regardless of debt load.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: November 03, 2015, 06:39:24 PM »
I'm sorry, but your comments drip with resentment and judgment. And reek to high heavens of entitlement.

How can you pass judgment on someone whose priorities are different from yours? Someone who wishes to take a path that rewards him or her in a manner different from the one you afford any respect does not make that path any less righteous; it just makes it different from yours.

The air down here with the hoi polloi is just as breathable. Give it a try sometime, my friend.
Well said sir
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: November 03, 2015, 06:45:13 PM »
I'm sorry, but your comments drip with resentment and judgment. And reek to high heavens of entitlement.

How can you pass judgment on someone whose priorities are different from yours? Someone who wishes to take a path that rewards him or her in a manner different from the one you afford any respect does not make that path any less righteous; it just makes it different from yours.

The air down here with the hoi polloi is just as breathable. Give it a try sometime, my friend.
Its more of a consensus than my own opinion. If taking your shopping cart to the supermarket every other day for a half gallon of milk and waking up for the second minyan is fulfillment I'd rather not have it. Thats not being judgmental thats just not a living. You may disagree with the label of pathetic but if you catch me doing that at age 55 you have my permission to shoot me. For the record I'm closer to 55 than 25.
I dont resent this guy, or judge him i stated a fact about one government employee who lives a pathetic life. And let he who is without son cast the first stone...lecturing people about entitlements has no place on this site IMO.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 06:48:20 PM by hvaces42 »
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1023 on: November 03, 2015, 06:51:12 PM »
There's also PAYE plus PSLF for government or nonprofit service. 10 years of relatively small payments, regardless of debt load.

True... but then--after 10 years of paying down debt--your're still making a gov't or non profit salary, unless you're the rare person who is an AUSA or ADA and jumps over to big law white collar defense.

For my part, I'd rather pay off debt in half the time and make 4x the money after 10 years.

Its more of a consensus than my own opinion. If taking your shopping cart to the supermarket every other day for a half gallon of milk and waking up for the second minyan is fulfillment I'd rather not have it. Thats not being judgmental thats just not a living. You may disagree with the label of pathetic but if you catch me doing that at age 55 you have my permission to shoot me. For the record I'm closer to 55 than 25.
I dont resent this guy, or judge him i stated a fact about one government employee who lives a pathetic life. And let he who is without son cast the first stone...lecturing people about entitlements has no place on this site IMO.

With respect, the more you talk the bigger shovel you appear to need.

Whether your acknowledge or realize it, what you're doing is judging someone else for decisions that may work for that person. You're better because you prefer a gallon of milk be picked up by your wife? or that you go to hashkama? More power to you. But make no mistake about it, you're rudely (and I'd say tactlessly) snubbing your nose at anyone who does not join you in celebrating that particular raison d'être.

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: November 03, 2015, 06:55:55 PM »
Youre right. Because you use french and latin you must be right.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1025 on: November 03, 2015, 06:58:24 PM »
Youre right. Because you use french and latin you must be right.

Your painfully obvious cop out speaks volumes.

Or as we say in actual Latin, res ipsa loquitur.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: November 03, 2015, 07:07:25 PM »

I'm beginning to think he actually works in heating and cooling...

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1027 on: November 03, 2015, 07:11:18 PM »
I think you need to read that post again. And apologize while youre at it too. It was an observation about one individual...who i know personally and lives a pathetic existence.
Maybe you should read it again. Just because you say you're not judging and you say you are not generalizing doesn't mean you aren't.

I'm not criticizing you. But you are way off here. I think AJK summed it up well.

(See what i did there, I really was criticizing you, even though I said I wasn't.

I was not saying it as a general statement. If you look at this guy his existence is pathetic. Its not family time he's busy with. It is a mentality of most local government employees. When a cop has a license plate that says 20ANDOUT...meaning he will put in his 20 years and then file for his pension its a mentality. Hes not a law enforcement hero. Hes a stiff making widgets until its time to atop making widgets. Government lawyers in NY for the most part (ADAs that become criminal defense attorneys are the exception) are widget making stiffs who put in their years and then retire without any drive or motivation to grow professionally. That is my definition of a pathetic existence.
Let the games begin...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: November 03, 2015, 07:12:57 PM »

Res ipsa youre funny. Stop judging me. ;D Im driving cant respond now.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: November 03, 2015, 07:16:26 PM »
I'll leave this thread to the young guns who think that being a lawyer is everything and the fulfillment of every jewish mother's dream. I worked in heating and I am a lawyer. So you guys gonahead and fight the good fight do what you wish to make yourself feel fulfilled. End of story. I have no further comment here.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: November 03, 2015, 07:30:57 PM »
I'm confused
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline CS91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: November 03, 2015, 07:33:05 PM »
I'm confused

It's okay; you're not alone. So is hvaces42.  ;D

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: November 04, 2015, 07:29:50 AM »
Maybe we need a thread for everyone's hot buttons.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: November 04, 2015, 08:34:03 AM »
Maybe we need a thread for everyone's hot buttons.
I said I wouldnt post here anymore. In response to CM's comment I was just thinking about starting a thread titled "Personal Opinions, Societal Norms, Individualism and Being Judgmental" It seems that if you have an opinion on something or someone, you're judgmental. Societal norms do not exist anymore. Its a free for all and if you comment on something, or someone, you're tarred as "being judgmental". Probably a generational thing.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: November 04, 2015, 09:31:40 AM »
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline GTR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: November 04, 2015, 10:07:58 AM »

This.  I'm feeling very comfortable with IBR and 200K+ from lawschool and a good life/balance (read: lower paying) job.  In fact, getting the most out of the loan repayment systems available to individuals feels a lot like getting the most out of points/deals opportunities.  I think it's using the same brain center.

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: November 04, 2015, 10:15:20 AM »
Don't forget the IBR tax bomb at the end.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: November 04, 2015, 10:25:37 AM »
+1
Just checked 15+ year age difference and 10 year bar admission. Its definitely a generational thing. 

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: November 04, 2015, 11:14:41 AM »
This.  I'm feeling very comfortable with IBR and 200K+ from lawschool and a good life/balance (read: lower paying) job.  In fact, getting the most out of the loan repayment systems available to individuals feels a lot like getting the most out of points/deals opportunities.  I think it's using the same brain center.

So you pay some fraction of your income for 20 or 25 years, which will still be hundreds of thousands of dollars, and then the balance is forgiven. Then what?

Somehow I only see the connection between IBR and helping with massive student debt; I don't see how IBR helps after forgiveness and one is still making the same salary...

And that's not even the worst part, as seen below.

Don't forget the IBR tax bomb at the end.

I admit I didn't know about this, but it makes perfect sense. Forgiven loans = income under the Code. Yikes.

So, in reality, you pay for 20-25 years, and then you get hit with a massive tax bomb on the end. Say, for example, one has $75,000 forgiven at the end of the 25 years. That same year, depending on the tax bracket of the individual, he or she could easily be smacked with a tax bill of almost $20,000--and that's on top of the income tax he or she owes that year AND it's due immediately.

And this is the stuff that should be contemplated before jumping into law school, or indeed any degree.

Either (i) get a full scholarship (whether via the institution, Uncle Sam or Great Uncle Shmulie), (ii) go to a T-14 school (increasing your odds of landing a big law job) or (iii) work in Public Service and have your loan forgiven after 10 years (though that still has the same caveats as mentioned in my first post, though less the tax bomb).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:18:12 AM by AJK »

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: November 04, 2015, 11:24:12 AM »
I said I wouldnt post here anymore. In response to CM's comment I was just thinking about starting a thread titled "Personal Opinions, Societal Norms, Individualism and Being Judgmental" It seems that if you have an opinion on something or someone, you're judgmental. Societal norms do not exist anymore. Its a free for all and if you comment on something, or someone, you're tarred as "being judgmental". Probably a generational thing.
Be judgmental all you want, just try and sound a little less like a giant d-bag when you do it.