Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 406783 times)

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Going To Law School & Pros And Cons Of Being A Lawyer Master Thread
« Reply #1080 on: November 05, 2015, 09:50:47 AM »
What am I missing then? 200k relief for 67k? Where do I sign up? Can a do a few million?  :)

NOT SERIOUS RECOMMENDATION:

Find some sucker bank to over-appraise your house and lend you more cash than it's worth.
Short sale it in 6 months.
Profit.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1081 on: November 05, 2015, 09:52:41 AM »
What am I missing then? 200k relief for 67k? Where do I sign up? Can a do a few million?  :)
Two things:

1) people don't expect the bomb *at all*, so having to scrounge up 70k which is payable immediately is both shocking and difficult.

2) you only get the forgiveness after you've paid some variable monthly payment for 20 or 25 years, depending on income. I haven't run the math, but over that course of time,  one could easily pay more than the 200k he or she borrowed, which means you're out 270k.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: November 05, 2015, 09:58:29 AM »
I would assume some sort of refinancing it the most common way to pay it.  20-25 years out you should have equity in something, if not actual cash to write a check.  Then again, I only have 1 tuition..

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: November 05, 2015, 09:59:37 AM »
I would assume some sort of refinancing it the most common way to pay it.  20-25 years out you should have equity in something, if not actual cash to write a check.  Then again, I only have 1 tuition..
After 20-25 years won't you be making the BIG bucks?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: November 05, 2015, 10:01:18 AM »

You would hope.  I know people that burn out early, or make more investment choices, or just have holes in their pockets and heavy spending habits.  Not everyone saves for a rainy day.

I've never had to really think about all this, fortunately.  Thank you mom and dad.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: November 05, 2015, 10:01:45 AM »

If you are you have to pay it all back...

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: November 05, 2015, 10:03:36 AM »
If you are you have to pay it all back...
There is always a catch.  >:(

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: November 05, 2015, 10:05:02 AM »
You would hope.  I know people that burn out early, or make more investment choices, or just have holes in their pockets and heavy spending habits.  Not everyone saves for a rainy day.

I've never had to really think about all this, fortunately.  Thank you mom and dad.
Note to self: Have daughter read this.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1088 on: November 05, 2015, 10:08:39 AM »

Oh how fortunate you are.

Reminds me of a story: guy goes out to dinner with his parents after graduating medical school. On the way out of the restaurant, the dad says, "oh, by the way, check your loan balances tomorrow."

Next day he checks to see that his balance went from $300k to... $0.

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: November 05, 2015, 10:12:09 AM »
Oh how fortunate you are.

Reminds me of a story: guy goes out to dinner with his parents after graduating medical school. On the way out of the restaurant, the dad says, "oh, by the way, check your loan balances tomorrow."

Next day he checks to see that his balance went from $300k to... $0.

Nice. 

Yeah, I recognize that I'm fortunate and it may not be the norm.  But I also went to state schools through and through to make it more affordable.  If I wanted to go to Columbia or Georgetown my parents would only cover the cost of MD.

On the other end of the story spectrum:  My close law school friend asked her parents to refi one of their summer homes to pay off her debt, and she would pay off the new loan which would have had a MUCH lower interest rate.  Her financial adviser brother convinced them not to in case she died..  :-\

Offline GTR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: November 05, 2015, 10:26:21 AM »
Absolutely fascinating.

The problem I have with PVing everything is that you don't also have 200k somewhere collecting returns of 5%.  So while the true PV may be lower, you still will have that tax bill and nothing to pay it with. (try telling tuition committee you need to save 5k a year to pay your tax bomb in 25 years.)

If one is contemplating rapid repayment (or even what's termed regular repayment) vs. IBR or some other IDP it is proper to PV the values.  Assuming you borrowed the $ for lawschool (no scholarships) and assuming you will pay it back, you DO have the money.   This is most relevant when asking oneself "should i pay down debt ASAP or reduce my above the line and shoot for forgiveness."  A dollar not spent on aggressively paying down loans IS a dollar you have for investment. 

Sure an ideal view of the situation would take into account peoples inability to view current financial status in relation to some future status, people are really bad at that.  But the fact of the matter is someone who aggressively pays down a graduate loan is very possibly costing themselves 10's or 100's of thousands in the future.  And again, I only mean this to apply to certain "middle of the road" type earners, at least relative to the legal industry.  If at any time you believe that you'll fall out of IBR and trigger normal payments by earning around 175-200k, this isn't the best path since the earlier years of IBR will cause you to pay more interest.  And that person WILL earn more money in the long run.  This is ideal for anyone hanging a shingle (or starting any small business) or someone who is partially financially secure already, or anyone who doesn't mind deferring compensation.

Next i'll introduce my Married Filing Separately module.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1091 on: November 05, 2015, 10:26:30 AM »
Nice. 

Yeah, I recognize that I'm fortunate and it may not be the norm.  But I also went to state schools through and through to make it more affordable.  If I wanted to go to Columbia or Georgetown my parents would only cover the cost of MD.

On the other end of the story spectrum:  My close law school friend asked her parents to refi one of their summer homes to pay off her debt, and she would pay off the new loan which would have had a MUCH lower interest rate.  Her financial adviser brother convinced them not to in case she died..  :-\
That's what life insurance is for. All parent loans should be sure the kid has it.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: November 05, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
If one is contemplating rapid repayment (or even what's termed regular repayment) vs. IBR or some other IDP it is proper to PV the values.  Assuming you borrowed the $ for lawschool (no scholarships) and assuming you will pay it back, you DO have the money.   This is most relevant when asking oneself "should i pay down debt ASAP or reduce my above the line and shoot for forgiveness."  A dollar not spent on aggressively paying down loans IS a dollar you have for investment. 

Sure an ideal view of the situation would take into account peoples inability to view current financial status in relation to some future status, people are really bad at that.  But the fact of the matter is someone who aggressively pays down a graduate loan is very possibly costing themselves 10's or 100's of thousands in the future.  And again, I only mean this to apply to certain "middle of the road" type earners, at least relative to the legal industry.  If at any time you believe that you'll fall out of IBR and trigger normal payments by earning around 175-200k, this isn't the best path since the earlier years of IBR will cause you to pay more interest.  And that person WILL earn more money in the long run.  This is ideal for anyone hanging a shingle (or starting any small business) or someone who is partially financially secure already, or anyone who doesn't mind deferring compensation.

Next i'll introduce my Married Filing Separately module.

Yes, but the IBR guy has no savings and couldn't pay down anyway. The non-iBR route is to work at a high pressure job that pays more.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: November 05, 2015, 10:51:13 AM »
That's what life insurance is for. All parent loans should be sure the kid has it.
I was thinking the same thing, but depending on the details of the loans, it could cost more than the savings of shifting the debt.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: November 05, 2015, 11:00:54 AM »
Nice. 

Honestly, if they own multiple summer homes without debt, I'd think they'd be willing to take risk that if their daughter died they'd be out 300k. 

If that's what it's like having rich parents, I'm sure glad I don't.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1095 on: November 05, 2015, 11:07:49 AM »
I was thinking the same thing, but depending on the details of the loans, it could cost more than the savings of shifting the debt.
Your talking under $300 a year on a $200,000 loan. That's a bargain. And not a bad thing to have either.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: November 05, 2015, 11:09:08 AM »
Honestly, if they own multiple summer homes without debt, I'd think they'd be willing to take risk that if their daughter died they'd be out 300k. 

If that's what it's like having rich parents, I'm sure glad I don't.
True if they are wealthy. Multiple homes doesn't equal wealth.

How about loaning form a $200k retirement fund your folks have been putting money into the past 25 years... You'd need life insurance on the kid.

Offline blerbz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: November 06, 2015, 06:25:22 AM »
Two things:

1) people don't expect the bomb *at all*, so having to scrounge up 70k which is payable immediately is both shocking and difficult.

2) you only get the forgiveness after you've paid some variable monthly payment for 20 or 25 years, depending on income. I haven't run the math, but over that course of time,  one could easily pay more than the 200k he or she borrowed, which means you're out 270k.
You may be out 270k but that's better than being out 350k+ if paying in full with interest (I'm approximating)

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #1098 on: December 01, 2015, 02:29:41 AM »
Ok what are bonuses gonna be like people? I'm getting tired of waiting for some old fart to decide to just do the same thing someone else did last year.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 01, 2015, 08:04:11 AM »
Ok what are bonuses gonna be like people? I'm getting tired of waiting for some old fart to decide to just do the same thing someone else did last year.
Doubt the scale will go up again. Two years in a row? Nah. I'm waiting until salary news comes out. NY to 190k?