Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 396611 times)

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
Re: Law School
« Reply #1860 on: March 31, 2017, 10:05:44 AM »
Offered 150k at Northwestern. I already send Columbia my Chicago offer of 75k. Should I send Columbia this offer as well or should I try to go NU>>Uchicago>>Columbia or just directly to Columbia?

it's worth a try to match. Did U Chicago and Columbia both already accept you?
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: March 31, 2017, 01:29:59 PM »
You would take Northwestern at 150 over Chicago(and let's say Columbia) at 75? Any of you experienced Big law guys want to chime in as well?

Hmmm.  Hard choice. 

Part of decision would come down to life during school. If you are from NY, I'd take 75 at CLS over NU at 150 in a second.  If you are choosing between UC and NU, keep in mind that NU is 35 mins from frum community during rush hour and 20 without traffic, while UC is a trek.

All equal, I dunno.

Offline Ephcc90

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Law School
« Reply #1862 on: March 31, 2017, 02:06:50 PM »
Would you mind clarifying this for the ppl who dont know anything about law school?

Thanks

Basically law schools will often raise your scholarships if you were offered a better one at a peer school.

Hmmm.  Hard choice. 

Part of decision would come down to life during school. If you are from NY, I'd take 75 at CLS over NU at 150 in a second.  If you are choosing between UC and NU, keep in mind that NU is 35 mins from frum community during rush hour and 20 without traffic, while UC is a trek.

All equal, I dunno.

Yes I currently live in NY so it's obviously much more convenient but not sure how much that convenience is worth. Kind of wanted to hear that Cls is worth paying more for than NU   

it's worth a try to match. Did U Chicago and Columbia both already accept you?
Yes - U Chicago offered me 75k and I didn't hear back yet on money for Columbia.

Thanks all for your input.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: March 31, 2017, 02:40:11 PM »
Yes I currently live in NY so it's obviously much more convenient but not sure how much that convenience is worth. Kind of wanted to hear that Cls is worth paying more for than NU   
Yes - U Chicago offered me 75k and I didn't hear back yet on money for Columbia.

Thanks all for your input.
The second scenario in this article asks about similar 3 law school in same T14 schools in IL: http://abovethelaw.com/2013/04/the-decision-tempted-by-the-t14/

Overall, Columbia is probably most worth it if you plan to go into Big Law and also if you prefer to work and live in NY for the next 20+ years, in my opinion. Even if it costs a bit more, it's closer to home for you and it will get you a larger annual salary if you're staying in NY. UC Ranked #4 and Columbia Ranked #5, NW is #10:
Top ranked link:https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: March 31, 2017, 04:41:50 PM »
The second scenario in this article asks about similar 3 law school in same T14 schools in IL: http://abovethelaw.com/2013/04/the-decision-tempted-by-the-t14/

Overall, Columbia is probably most worth it if you plan to go into Big Law and also if you prefer to work and live in NY for the next 20+ years, in my opinion. Even if it costs a bit more, it's closer to home for you and it will get you a larger annual salary if you're staying in NY. UC Ranked #4 and Columbia Ranked #5, NW is #10:
Top ranked link:https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings
Thanks. I need to hear back from Cls about $$$ but as of now am leaning towards them.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: March 31, 2017, 05:02:06 PM »

Well, Chicago large law firms that an NU student is aiming at are paying exactly the same as NY firms that a CLS student is looking at.

CLS will definitely place better than NU, but query if the same person does better at one than the other.  I definitely know CLS students who had a very hard time a few years ago.

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: March 31, 2017, 05:54:51 PM »
Well, Chicago large law firms that an NU student is aiming at are paying exactly the same as NY firms that a CLS student is looking at.

CLS will definitely place better than NU, but query if the same person does better at one than the other.  I definitely know CLS students who had a very hard time a few years ago.
Heard that also. Any ideas why they had a hard time?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: March 31, 2017, 06:42:18 PM »
Heard that also. Any ideas why they had a hard time?

Market stunk.  Now a bit better

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: April 02, 2017, 09:45:39 AM »
@Ephcc90 when you describe the scholarships, it's also useful to know 1) how those amounts are distributed (as a reduction in tuition costs over three years? some sort of stipend?); 2) what the total cost is after giving effect to the scholarships (it's nice to say you got a big scholarship, but the only number that really matters to your wallet is your total cost) and 3) any GPA or class ranking contingencies attached to the scholarship (more common in lower ranked schools.

Putting all that aside, congratulations on getting in to and qualifying for scholarships at such great schools.

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
Law School
« Reply #1869 on: April 02, 2017, 02:13:01 PM »
@Ephcc90 when you describe the scholarships, it's also useful to know 1) how those amounts are distributed (as a reduction in tuition costs over three years? some sort of stipend?); 2) what the total cost is after giving effect to the scholarships (it's nice to say you got a big scholarship, but the only number that really matters to your wallet is your total cost) and 3) any GPA or class ranking contingencies attached to the scholarship (more common in lower ranked schools.

Putting all that aside, congratulations on getting in to and qualifying for scholarships at such great schools.
Thanks!

There are no stipulations other than good academic standing and are split evenly over three years. The tuition for NU and Chicago is about the same. Columbia is about a few grand a year more.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 03:43:02 PM by Ephcc90 »

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: April 03, 2017, 12:18:50 AM »
Thanks!

There are no stipulations other than good academic standing and are split evenly over three years. The tuition for NU and Chicago is about the same. Columbia is about a few grand a year more.
Hoping Columbia matches so we can have a minyan.   ;)

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: April 03, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »

Nice. Know anyone going to Northwestern in September? Anyone there already? A close relative will be there and will live in WRP for 3 yrs. 

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: April 03, 2017, 11:59:27 AM »
lol hope so too!

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: April 19, 2017, 11:25:59 AM »
Is ~250k debt justifiable for Cls? Need to make a decision by the end of the week and am getting conflicting advice...

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: April 19, 2017, 12:24:23 PM »
Is ~250k debt justifiable for Cls? Need to make a decision by the end of the week and am getting conflicting advice...

depends on other option.

250k is a lot a lot of money

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1875 on: April 19, 2017, 01:00:21 PM »
Yup. Need to know the other option to opine.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: April 19, 2017, 01:11:30 PM »
Was offered 150k at Northwestern and 75k at Chicago. So Northwestern is about 120k cheaper before interest and loan origination fees. The wild card is that my wife has a job here in NY and who knows if/when she can find a job in Chicago (social work). 

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: April 19, 2017, 05:03:27 PM »
Was offered 150k at Northwestern and 75k at Chicago. So Northwestern is about 120k cheaper before interest and loan origination fees. The wild card is that my wife has a job here in NY and who knows if/when she can find a job in Chicago (social work). 
didn't you mention that you'd rather live in Chicago than NYC? If so, move now. I have a hard time imagining that if your wife is a licensed social worker she'd have difficulty such that it would justify the added loans your thinking of undertaking. Further, as an initial placement out of law school, Chicago firms will look more (though certainly not exclusively) to NU and Chicago vs. Columbia if you have no other ties (work experience or undergrad) to the area.

CLS is fantastic (I'm a proud alum and have seen first hand that it can open doors even in much smaller markets), but NU and Chicago are fantastic top-notch schools with great alumni networks as well (including in NYC) and that's a nice amount of money they're offering.

Ultimately you and your wife need to diacusss, but just some thoughts about your (awesome) options.

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: April 19, 2017, 05:56:17 PM »
didn't you mention that you'd rather live in Chicago than NYC? If so, move now. I have a hard time imagining that if your wife is a licensed social worker she'd have difficulty such that it would justify the added loans your thinking of undertaking. Further, as an initial placement out of law school, Chicago firms will look more (though certainly not exclusively) to NU and Chicago vs. Columbia if you have no other ties (work experience or undergrad) to the area.

CLS is fantastic (I'm a proud alum and have seen first hand that it can open doors even in much smaller markets), but NU and Chicago are fantastic top-notch schools with great alumni networks as well (including in NYC) and that's a nice amount of money they're offering.

Ultimately you and your wife need to diacusss, but just some thoughts about your (awesome) options.
Thank you for your response. While I'm definitely open-minded to moving to Chicago, it would be much easier to stay here in NY but I'm trying to remove that from the equation for now.

As a practicing attorney would you(or anyone else who might have an opinion) take the 150k at Northwestern vs 40k at Cls? I have been given conflicting advice on if Cls is worth 110k+ over NU and would love to get anymore insight if possible.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1879 on: April 20, 2017, 02:34:47 PM »
Personally, all things considered I'd take Chicago at 75k over either other option.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper