Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 396624 times)

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Law School
« Reply #1920 on: September 12, 2017, 03:13:33 PM »
I was waitlisted and ultimately rejected with a 173.
When did you apply?
I was told that BMG guys where accepted with a 166 after initially being waitlisted.

Early decision helps, just make sure you are happy with Penn, and won't be upset when Harvard calls you and you have to explain how you are already commited, like happened with someone I know.

A BTL can be a good thing, if you have a good story to go with it...
I'm trying to get a handle on the score to Penn needed so I can make a good decision considering all options. If with my score I'm very likely to get in anyways without ED, than it may not be worth it.

Is the December LSAT late? Still can make the 2nd round of early decision at Penn...
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: September 12, 2017, 03:17:12 PM »
When did you apply?
I was told that BMG guys where accepted with a 166 after initially being waitlisted.
I'm trying to get a handle on the score to Penn needed so I can make a good decision considering all options. If with my score I'm very likely to get in anyways without ED, than it may not be worth it.

Is the December LSAT late? Still can make the 2nd round of early decision at Penn...

Yes, that will be a late application in the cycle.  You really want your application in the first day.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1922 on: September 12, 2017, 03:37:08 PM »
Yes, that will be a late application in the cycle.  You really want your application in the first day.
Agreed 100%. Unless you can increase your lsat by multiple points taking it later.

When did you apply?

I don't think there is a magic recipe for what gets in and what doesn't, there are general guidelines for what works and what doesn't, but then it goes case to case. If you'd be through the roof thrilled with Penn then do ED, if you must get a T7 school or bust and your score is borderline than probably also do ED, if you really want HLS or CLS and will feel bad going to Penn then don't do ED. Anything else in between is really up to you, and make sure you don't let anyone make that decision for you because you have to live with it.

I personally think Penn is an amazing school with the employment stats to back it up. Going there v HLS is not crazy different if you want a corp law job in NYC.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: September 12, 2017, 03:43:04 PM »
Agreed 100%. Unless you can increase your lsat by multiple points taking it later.
I don't think there is a magic recipe for what gets in and what doesn't, there are general guidelines for what works and what doesn't, but then it goes case to case. If you'd be through the roof thrilled with Penn then do ED, if you must get a T7 school or bust and your score is borderline than probably also do ED, if you really want HLS or CLS and will feel bad going to Penn then don't do ED. Anything else in between is really up to you, and make sure you don't let anyone make that decision for you because you have to live with it.

I personally think Penn is an amazing school with the employment stats to back it up. Going there v HLS is not crazy different if you want a corp law job in NYC.

Amen

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: September 12, 2017, 03:46:57 PM »
Penn official LSAT stats are Median 169. The 25th-75th LSAT score range is 163-170.

Anyone have info on what LSAT score is needed to get into Penn with a BTL? Does early decision make a difference?

I went there a few years ago. Had BTL classmates with a 171, 170 and 168 (got in off the waitlist and had an inside connection). Had a BTL friend with 172 that did not get in. None were Early Decision.

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: September 12, 2017, 05:22:44 PM »
When did you apply?
I applied after the December LSAT.

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: September 12, 2017, 05:24:39 PM »
I think the only place you should ED is Northwestern...

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: September 13, 2017, 01:37:14 AM »

I would be happy with Penn and very disappointed with less. CLS doesn't excite me over Penn, however having the option of living in NY would nice although I think the odds are against me getting in there, and it's not like I definitely prefer NYC.

The million dollar Q right now is should I take this test or wait for December. My current scores are about the same as some other who where waitlisted but ultimately accepted. If I can bump my score 3 points is Dec. a better choice? Part of the calculus is also that if I do on the lower end of my range now how much will it hurt me if/when I take it again in Dec? (If the negative is minimal than there's little to loose taking it now).

My new signature is definitely being reflected in these posts:)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:40:46 AM by Thingywingy »
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1928 on: September 13, 2017, 08:13:15 AM »
I would be happy with Penn and very disappointed with less. CLS doesn't excite me over Penn, however having the option of living in NY would nice although I think the odds are against me getting in there, and it's not like I definitely prefer NYC.

The million dollar Q right now is should I take this test or wait for December. My current scores are about the same as some other who where waitlisted but ultimately accepted. If I can bump my score 3 points is Dec. a better choice? Part of the calculus is also that if I do on the lower end of my range now how much will it hurt me if/when I take it again in Dec? (If the negative is minimal than there's little to loose taking it now).

My new signature is definitely being reflected in these posts:)
I don't know your range, but you won't know if you get your bottom range score or top range score until you actually take it. I think ED can likely make up for 3 points.

But again it's your call.

I.hope you are taking a test a day now and on a good sleep schedule. And don't over think on test day, just do the same rythem you always do.

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #1929 on: September 13, 2017, 09:41:22 AM »
coming from yeshiva i had no idea how good penn is, esp for real corporate law (they have a few great corp law profs and a good dept with a great setup with regular access to the Delaware justices for lots of special symposiums etc which is a treat). but of course living in ny vs philly is a consideration for frum peeps esp with family/wanting to date.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: September 13, 2017, 09:48:37 AM »
coming from yeshiva i had no idea how good penn is, esp for real corporate law (they have a few great corp law profs and a good dept with a great setup with regular access to the Delaware justices for lots of special symposiums etc which is a treat). but of course living in ny vs Lakewood philly is a consideration for frum peeps esp with family/wanting to date.

FTFY

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: September 13, 2017, 09:55:56 AM »
FTFY
never even thought of living in lakewood :). Looks like that's almost a 1.5 hour drive, no?

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: September 13, 2017, 03:35:18 PM »
Quote from: shiframeir on Today at 09:41:22 AM
coming from yeshiva i had no idea how good penn is, esp for real corporate law (they have a few great corp law profs and a good dept with a great setup with regular access to the Delaware justices for lots of special symposiums etc which is a treat). but of course living in ny vs Lakewood philly is a consideration for frum peeps esp with family/wanting to date.
FTFY
Do you know guys who commuted? Is it realistic?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: September 13, 2017, 03:36:07 PM »
coming from yeshiva i had no idea how good penn is, esp for real corporate law (they have a few great corp law profs and a good dept with a great setup with regular access to the Delaware justices for lots of special symposiums etc which is a treat). but of course living in ny vs Lakewood philly is a consideration for frum peeps esp with family/wanting to date.Do you know guys who commuted? Is it realistic?
Do you have a wife and kids in Lakewood? If not I don't see how it could be worth it.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: September 13, 2017, 03:56:31 PM »
Do you know guys who commuted? Is it realistic?

I've heard the idea thrown around.  Maybe not.

I mean, what's the commute from Monsey to CLS? Longer than that.

Offline CS1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #1935 on: September 13, 2017, 04:08:50 PM »
I've heard the idea thrown around.  Maybe not.

I mean, what's the commute from Monsey to CLS? Longer than that.

monsey to CLS could be public transport, and you can daven/multitask, however if driving-in daily from Lakewood can be challenging.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline shiframeir

• View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: September 13, 2017, 04:13:57 PM »
monsey to CLS could be public transport, and you can daven/multitask, however if driving-in daily from Lakewood can be challenging.
Great thing about CLS is u can live in KGH (renting obviously) and drive to school and find parking pretty easily (arrange classes based on alternate side) in about a half hour.

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: September 13, 2017, 08:25:00 PM »
Just started CLS commuting from lakewood, and my grades are still in the top 5% of the class... ;)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: September 13, 2017, 08:32:24 PM »
Just started CLS commuting from lakewood, and my grades are still in the top 5% of the class... ;)
#Gunner

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: September 13, 2017, 08:46:39 PM »
Why is commuting to school any different then to a job? Many ppl commute to NYC/ pa from Lakewood