Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 396607 times)

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Law School
« Reply #1980 on: October 31, 2017, 12:01:45 PM »
hahahahahaha!!!!!

hahahahahaahahahahahahhah!!!!!

I laughed more.

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: October 31, 2017, 12:08:11 PM »
Being a doctor is not remotely a demanding job, except a few specialties like ob

1) For someone in the field of law, I would expect a more precise definition. Why don’t you define what a “demanding job” looks like.

2) Which medical specialties are you referring to specifically, since you seek to have a pretty strong understanding of the differences between them.

3) You’re implication is that lawyers in big law work more than most doctors throughout their child-bearing years (20s-early 30s), since that was the discussion leading up to your comment. Just giving you a chance to clarify.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: October 31, 2017, 12:18:46 PM »
1) For someone in the field of law, I would expect a more precise definition. Why don’t you define what a “demanding job” looks like.

Well, obviously it's a range, and I'm not going to stake myself on where the dividing line between demanding and nondemanding is.  But I said that most doctor jobs are not remotely demanding, and I stand by that.

Here are some factors common to most doctor jobs, by which I mean doctors who work in a practice, and aren't OB, surgery or certain other specialties.  Think GPs and pediatricians and cardiologists and hematologists and allergists and toxicologists, etc. (and derm, but you'll yell that I picked the easy one).

1. Set hours.  Appointment at 5? No, call back tomorrow.
2. Not on call nights and weekends, except for specified scheduled nights and weekend times.
3. Don't need to answer emails outside of work hours.
4. Can plan time out of office and offline, and nothing from work can come up.  Chumash play? Tony, will you pencil in that I'm not available on the 24th from 10-1130?

2) Which medical specialties are you referring to specifically, since you seek to have a pretty strong understanding of the differences between them.

I don't know enough to be all inclusive. See above.

3) You’re implication is that lawyers in big law work more than most doctors throughout their child-bearing years (20s-early 30s), since that was the discussion leading up to your comment. Just giving you a chance to clarify.

Depends when you start school, for each.  Not very fair to cap it at early 30's--raising children goes way past early 30's. If you have a kid at 37, he'll be 4 when you're 41.

Tl;dr I'm right.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1983 on: October 31, 2017, 12:49:39 PM »
Well, obviously it's a range, and I'm not going to stake myself on where the dividing line between demanding and nondemanding is.  But I said that most doctor jobs are not remotely demanding, and I stand by that.

Here are some factors common to most doctor jobs, by which I mean doctors who work in a practice, and aren't OB, surgery or certain other specialties.  Think GPs and pediatricians and cardiologists and hematologists and allergists and toxicologists, etc. (and derm, but you'll yell that I picked the easy one).

1. Set hours.  Appointment at 5? No, call back tomorrow.
2. Not on call nights and weekends, except for specified scheduled nights and weekend times.
3. Don't need to answer emails outside of work hours.
4. Can plan time out of office and offline, and nothing from work can come up.  Chumash play? Tony, will you pencil in that I'm not available on the 24th from 10-1130?

I don't know enough to be all inclusive. See above.

Depends when you start school, for each.  Not very fair to cap it at early 30's--raising children goes way past early 30's. If you have a kid at 37, he'll be 4 when you're 41.

Tl;dr I'm right.
You went from OB to every surgical specialty. Aren't there a lot of 9-5 lawyers? Are we not counting them either? Only Corporate lawyers?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: October 31, 2017, 12:57:38 PM »
You went from OB to every surgical specialty. Aren't there a lot of 9-5 lawyers? Are we not counting them either? Only Corporate lawyers?

Their jobs are not remotely demanding.

Also, I think someone above was comparing doctors to ask why there are frum women who are doctors but few frum women in biglaw, so hence my comparison.  If you tell me all the frum women doctors are OBs, then I'll need a different answer. I'm pretty sure they're not surgeons.  I'm gandering mostly peds and OB.  So maybe has to do with the relative job satisfaction for frum women of dealing with kids and babies versus whatever it is I do.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:04:45 PM by henche »

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1985 on: October 31, 2017, 01:03:51 PM »
I don't think you get to say "I'm right" when you qualify and re-qualify your original statement.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: October 31, 2017, 01:05:13 PM »
I don't think you get to say "I'm right" when you qualify and re-qualify your original statement.

See my ETA, above.

tl;dr henche right

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: October 31, 2017, 01:08:48 PM »
See my ETA, above.

tl;dr henche right
More, re-qualifications? Nice...

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: October 31, 2017, 01:11:37 PM »
More, re-qualifications? Nice...

You don't need to read the whole thing.  Just the tl dr

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: October 31, 2017, 01:35:20 PM »

Also, I think someone above was comparing doctors to ask why there are frum women who are doctors but few frum women in biglaw, so hence my comparison.  If you tell me all the frum women doctors are OBs, then I'll need a different answer. I'm pretty sure they're not surgeons.  I'm gandering mostly peds and OB.  So maybe has to do with the relative job satisfaction for frum women of dealing with kids and babies versus whatever it is I do.

Actually this was the quote you are referencing: Starting to be more and more frum women in big law. And there are also a lot of frum women who are doctors (also a really demanding job).

Seems like you're pretty elitist and you just don't like the idea of frum women being able to do what you do, nor the idea that other professions may work as hard or harder than your chosen profession.

Did someone forget to tell you as a child that you're special in your own way?

PS: OBs are surgeons  ;)

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: October 31, 2017, 01:41:32 PM »
Actually this was the quote you are referencing: Starting to be more and more frum women in big law. And there are also a lot of frum women who are doctors (also a really demanding job).

Seems like you're pretty elitist and you just don't like the idea of frum women being able to do what you do, nor the idea that other professions may work as hard or harder than your chosen profession.

Did someone forget to tell you as a child that you're special in your own way?

PS: OBs are surgeons  ;)

Darn, I'm busted.   >:(

Offline henche

• View Profile

Offline Aerial Dag

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: November 02, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/01/one-seven-gps-turning-drink-drugs-cope-work-stress/

Babies
My wife is a lawyer and just worked a 23 hour day yesterday. Unlike doctors I know, she doesn't then get days off but has to still come to work early and work through the weekends. She copes with coke. The diet drinkable kind, not the one in Henche's signature. To be fair, she doesn't have to deal with people dying on her watch. But she does have to watch rich people get even richer....

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: November 02, 2017, 11:19:24 AM »
My wife is a lawyer and just worked a 23 hour day yesterday. Unlike doctors I know, she doesn't then get days off but has to still come to work early and work through the weekends. She copes with coke. The diet drinkable kind, not the one in Henche's signature. To be fair, she doesn't have to deal with people dying on her watch. But she does have to watch rich people get even richer....

Anyway, if doctors are having ppl die on their watch, it's because they're not doing their job well.  It's like if I would complain that I have to watch my clients sign bad agreements.

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: November 02, 2017, 11:25:13 AM »
Anyway, if doctors are having ppl die on their watch, it's because they're not doing their job well.  It's like if I would complain that I have to watch my clients sign bad agreements.
If only all doctors would always do their job, no one would ever die again.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: November 02, 2017, 11:26:16 AM »
If only all doctors would always do their job, no one would ever die again.

Do their job well

Offline shmebeble

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: November 02, 2017, 11:41:00 AM »
Its probably the same thing  ???

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: November 02, 2017, 11:51:21 AM »
That's the equivalent of saying if any of your clients pay any taxes you aren't doing your job well.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: November 02, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »
That's the equivalent of saying if any of your clients pay any taxes you aren't doing your job well.

I mostly practice transactional, that's why I said sign a bad agreement. 

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: January 02, 2018, 02:45:05 PM »
Does anyone know how LSAC calculates the GPA when the school issuing the BA only accepted some of the credits earned at an earlier institution?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.