Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 396648 times)

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: Law School
« Reply #2060 on: September 20, 2018, 09:05:23 PM »
I don't know
He was talking about crovath . And prob went to horvard college

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2061 on: September 21, 2018, 02:33:02 PM »
Is this the case for partners as well, or are they always on call and involved?

That's up to the particular partner. I'm assuming no partner wants to be completely unreachable in the event of a client emergency.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2062 on: September 21, 2018, 03:31:14 PM »
We don't have a vacation policy.

Rule is (1) take when you need, for as long as you need* and (2) meet your billables.

Some years, I've taken more than 2 months combined vacation.

*Perhaps the exception to swallow the rule, but you have to make sure cases and clients are handled while gone, or remain in touch.
And here I thought you only worked 2 months a year and had 10 months vacation.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: September 21, 2018, 03:38:57 PM »
And here I thought you only worked 2 months a year and had 10 months vacation.
Eh jak mellowed down ajk.

Slightly

Offline reed

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: September 23, 2018, 08:41:59 AM »
Thanks all. Would ppl mind emailing me their firms. Got to put together an email to the managing partner. For background, I am at a market paying boutique which tries to align its rules to “standard biglaw” as much as it can. So they are willing to make changes as long as show them firms that have these rules.

Of course it hurts your billables but our bonuses are prorated for the most part and sometimes you just need to get away.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: September 23, 2018, 09:25:54 AM »
Question: do u have unlimited personal days? Is there any definition of personal day vs vacation day, or is it all in your discretion.  I think it's an absolutely appropriate discretion to consider at least certain religious observance days as personal.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 09:34:09 AM by henche »

Offline gubevo18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: October 07, 2018, 11:45:03 AM »
What are your opinions on hiring a consultant to help with the app process?
Is it at all worth it?
Let’s say a good LSAT score (didn’t take it yet but I hope so) and a good GPA but basically everything else is meh.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2067 on: October 07, 2018, 06:02:47 PM »
Is it at all worth it?
Let’s say a good LSAT score (didn’t take it yet but I hope so) and a good GPA but basically everything else is meh.

Wait and see what last you get. Then decide.  Lsat and GPS will decide what schools you are eligible for.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #2068 on: October 07, 2018, 07:59:55 PM »
Is it at all worth it?

possibly excellent recommendation letters will be helpful in certain situations.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2069 on: October 07, 2018, 09:51:52 PM »
What that means in practice varies widely.

In my dept, we have an excellent culture that when you're on vacation, to hand off your projects and your friends do your work for you, and the partners are OK with that (and actually do it also).
this depends on seniority, type of work you do and also subject to specific partner sensitivities (some wouldnt want to bill client to have a switch with someone needing to catch up). as an M&A lawyer, i get urgent emails from clients on vacation, and if i say sorry, i will have some other partner deal with it, they will say fine but deep down they might hesitate next time they hire us. so i end up working on vacations prob 60% of the time (still doesnt ruin vacation, i just have to handle overnight/work around activities)...

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: October 08, 2018, 07:53:53 AM »
Wait and see what last you get. Then decide.  Lsat and GPS will decide what schools you are eligible for.
yes but I don’t know if you remember but even if I kill it on the lsat I have sort of a unique situation in regard to the mess I have on my BTL. I switched in and out a couple of times. I’m gonna have to add an addendum stating something to the effect of” I was on a Talmudic research mission which led me to dofferent schools either because there were certain scholars I felt I can gain from or certain courses offered there. Each time was with close guidance of the dean(s) at my degree granting university.” All 100% true

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: October 08, 2018, 08:10:20 AM »
yes but I don’t know if you remember but even if I kill it on the lsat I have sort of a unique situation in regard to the mess I have on my BTL. I switched in and out a couple of times. I’m gonna have to add an addendum stating something to the effect of” I was on a Talmudic research mission which led me to dofferent schools either because there were certain scholars I felt I can gain from or certain courses offered there. Each time was with close guidance of the dean(s) at my degree granting university.” All 100% true
People don't realize how important the lsat score is.

Did you take a practice test yet?

Do you plan on going to law school regardless of what school you get into?

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #2072 on: October 08, 2018, 09:33:27 AM »
People don't realize how important the lsat score is
Did you take a practice test yet?

Do you plan on going to law school regardless of what school you get into?

+100

true - it follows you for life. Speaking of which, anyone know what Kavanaugh's Lsat score is? (Under 164?)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 09:52:57 AM by CS1 »
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: October 08, 2018, 01:29:49 PM »
Just finished reading thru the entirety of this thread (thru 3 name changes) over the last 36 or so hours.

I was wondering what our esteemed panel of lawyers think about my predicament.

I am still learning (married with a child) and considering the next step I should take in terms of a parnassa. My first priority is obtaining some sort of pedigree. My initial inclination was taking the PCS course and obtaining a CPA and working in a big 4 firm for a few years. However after some research and introspection the CPA/CFO route is work I find boring and the pedigree isn't that great.

I had a couple people who know me well who suggested I pursue a law degree as it plays to my strengths, material I find much more interesting, and is a far superior pedigree. I had originally resisted the idea of law school due to my reluctance of saddling myself with copious amounts of debt. However I recently became aware that scoring well on the LSATs  can realistically provide me with a full scholarship to a school outside the T14.

Should I throw myself into studying for the LSATs (I did a diagnostic and quite well though my timing was almost double so not sure how reliable an indicator that is) with the intention of trying only to receive a full scholarship at a lesser school (Cordozo, Rutgers, Seton Hall)?

I understand that it will be much more difficult to get into Biglaw, however if my end game is to have it as pedigree or in house counsel, is there an alternative? Granted I would be giving it my all in terms of grades, but from an initial decision standpoint is there any room for error?

Thank you very much 

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: October 08, 2018, 01:41:04 PM »
Just finished reading thru the entirety of this thread (thru 3 name changes) over the last 36 or so hours.

I was wondering what our esteemed panel of lawyers think about my predicament.

I am still learning (married with a child) and considering the next step I should take in terms of a parnassa. My first priority is obtaining some sort of pedigree. My initial inclination was taking the PCS course and obtaining a CPA and working in a big 4 firm for a few years. However after some research and introspection the CPA/CFO route is work I find boring and the pedigree isn't that great.

I had a couple people who know me well who suggested I pursue a law degree as it plays to my strengths, material I find much more interesting, and is a far superior pedigree. I had originally resisted the idea of law school due to my reluctance of saddling myself with copious amounts of debt. However I recently became aware that scoring well on the LSATs  can realistically provide me with a full scholarship to a school outside the T14.

Should I throw myself into studying for the LSATs (I did a diagnostic and quite well though my timing was almost double so not sure how reliable an indicator that is) with the intention of trying only to receive a full scholarship at a lesser school (Cordozo, Rutgers, Seton Hall)?

I understand that it will be much more difficult to get into Biglaw, however if my end game is to have it as pedigree or in house counsel, is there an alternative? Granted I would be giving it my all in terms of grades, but from an initial decision standpoint is there any room for error?

Thank you very much 
Take an LSAT course or study very hard yourself. And see what you are scoring in times simulations of full tests. Then you can know what your realistic options are.

If you have a 4.0 and don't mind moving outside NY and do well on the LSAT you can possibly get a scholarship in a T14.

But IMO paying T14 is a good investment over a free ride at a lower school.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: October 08, 2018, 01:59:25 PM »

A few things.
1. Legal jobs, particularly entry level are pretty boring for most ppl also.
2. Really no point in debating until you have a rough idea what you can score.
3. In house jobs wont really be available except from biglaw.
4. Law school grades are curved, and everyone is trying really hard,  so trying hard is not enough. 

Also,  the word is degree.

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: October 08, 2018, 02:04:40 PM »
Take an LSAT course or study very hard yourself. And see what you are scoring in times simulations of full tests. Then you can know what your realistic options are.

If you have a 4.0 and don't mind moving outside NY and do well on the LSAT you can possibly get a scholarship in a T14.

But IMO paying T14 is a good investment over a free ride at a lower school.

Thank you for responding. Understand the argument of paying for T14. Aside from the fact thought I strongly prefer to stay in NY/NJ, isn't it a little late in the game to start studying for the LSAT to be eligible for early enrollment?

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: October 08, 2018, 02:13:26 PM »
A few things.
1. Legal jobs, particularly entry level are pretty boring for most ppl also.
2. Really no point in debating until you have a rough idea what you can score.
3. In house jobs wont really be available except from biglaw.
4. Law school grades are curved, and everyone is trying really hard,  so trying hard is not enough. 

Also,  the word is degree.

Thanx for your response.

1. Understood. However at least the schooling is more interesting. Easier to maintain motivation.
2. Point taken.
3. Answers my question. Thanx.
4. That point has been pretty clear throughout the thread which is why it was the preface to an inquiry if there is any room for error. #3 answers that question.

I can get an MBA from any subpar online program. That a degree. If I want a career outside the field of law, A Law degree + experience means something. Thats pedigree.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: October 08, 2018, 02:18:35 PM »
See attached.

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: October 08, 2018, 02:25:27 PM »
See attached.

Perhaps include the entirety of the definition. I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear what I meant.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 02:30:19 PM by dealfinder11 »