Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 201992 times)

Online shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.

Offline Ephcc90

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Law School
« Reply #2192 on: March 24, 2020, 09:13:52 PM »
Anybody have any idea what they’re going to do with the July bar exam?

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: March 24, 2020, 10:23:39 PM »
Anybody have any idea what they’re going to do with the July bar exam?
They have assembled a task force of the most capable individuals known to mankind to deal with this.   ::)

Online shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2194 on: March 25, 2020, 10:31:38 PM »
Columbia has already pushed EIP to January 2021.
do they have a specific date yet? i hope not yeshiva week...

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: March 26, 2020, 11:17:14 AM »
do they have a specific date yet? i hope not yeshiva week...
Not that I have heard of, but the spring semester always starts the Tuesday after MLK day, and J-Term is the week prior. So I would assume they would make it early in January to accommodate for all 2Ls to be there. I believe yeshiva week is later in January.

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: March 29, 2020, 04:15:26 PM »
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Ephcc90

• View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: March 29, 2020, 04:31:14 PM »
https://abovethelaw.com/2020/03/july-ny-state-bar-exam-officially-off/
not sure why they think an exam in September/October will be possible.

Really hope they consider either giving an online exam or granting diploma privileges in lieu of an exam if they have to cancel the fall administration.

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: March 30, 2020, 05:28:24 PM »
not sure why they think an exam in September/October will be possible.

Really hope they consider either giving an online exam or granting diploma privileges in lieu of an exam if they have to cancel the fall administration.
I think I would be a bit nervous about taking an online exam. How can we be sure the prep courses could adequately prepare us for a format of test they have never seen before?

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: April 08, 2020, 01:46:09 PM »
NYS Bar Exam Rescheduled to 9/9-9/10
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline monoso

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: April 23, 2020, 07:40:59 PM »
anyone know if fishch is giving classes?

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: May 10, 2020, 09:27:10 PM »
anyone know if fishch is giving classes?
He is, virtual.
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: May 11, 2020, 11:23:55 PM »
I've been reading a lot on the topic, and have read through most of this thread (quite a lot of info in here).

Basically I never saw myself going back to school, however i'm currently doing IT and don't necessarily love it. Also, as time goes on the bills increase..

With that said I"ve always had the idea in the back of my head about going to law school. Law does interest me (in my spare time I"ll read through random cases, i love looking up cases etc) though I assume most of law is more boring writing:)

I was considering perhaps working for a few months hard & taking Fisch's course, and hopefully getting a good enough LSAT score to get a free ride into a lower tier college. I can't anyhow see myself putting in the hours that I know friends are putting in 80~ a week for big law (aside from the crazy competition to even get in)

However some are telling me that with such low job aspirations I should just skip law altogether.. as if not in big law then there isn't much money anyhow.

If anyone could provide some insight that would be much appreciated.

TIA!

― Aristotle

Offline reed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: May 12, 2020, 12:05:21 AM »
I've been reading a lot on the topic, and have read through most of this thread (quite a lot of info in here).

Basically I never saw myself going back to school, however i'm currently doing IT and don't necessarily love it. Also, as time goes on the bills increase..

With that said I"ve always had the idea in the back of my head about going to law school. Law does interest me (in my spare time I"ll read through random cases, i love looking up cases etc) though I assume most of law is more boring writing:)

I was considering perhaps working for a few months hard & taking Fisch's course, and hopefully getting a good enough LSAT score to get a free ride into a lower tier college. I can't anyhow see myself putting in the hours that I know friends are putting in 80~ a week for big law (aside from the crazy competition to even get in)

However some are telling me that with such low job aspirations I should just skip law altogether.. as if not in big law then there isn't much money anyhow.

If anyone could provide some insight that would be much appreciated.

TIA!

“Big-law” Associate here - happy to help answer any questions - feel free to PM if you want. A lot of this has been covered already both here and all across the internet. Also keep in mind that with the current situation Biglaw hiring has been put on a freeze for the most part so that should play a role in your decision.

Biglaw jobs (in normal times) are really tough to get. You need to go to a top law school to have any sort of decent chance (of course there are exceptions). The hours can be brutal at times and the work is tedious, high-pressured and time sensitive. I am happy (for the most part) doing what I do - but I knew what I was getting into and this is what I wanted to do when I started this whole process.

You mention you like reading cases (which will be useful in law school) but I haven’t read a case in 5 years. I think I have a westlaw login from my firm but I never used it. As a corporate lawyer it’s just not part of what I do.

Outside of Biglaw type firms I don’t really know what firms pay. I assume it’s all over the place and will be hard to know going into law school what kind of salary you will be making coming out. Also - it can be pretty tough getting a job in one of these places as well since they tend to be so small.

Of course there are plenty of people making a nice living doing residential closings, immigration, real estate tax adjustments, etc. it’s definitely less streamlined than Biglaw and I assume one needs to “hustle“ a lot more at these kind of firms.

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: May 13, 2020, 12:32:08 AM »
“Big-law” Associate here - happy to help answer any questions - feel free to PM if you want. A lot of this has been covered already both here and all across the internet. Also keep in mind that with the current situation Biglaw hiring has been put on a freeze for the most part so that should play a role in your decision.

Biglaw jobs (in normal times) are really tough to get. You need to go to a top law school to have any sort of decent chance (of course there are exceptions). The hours can be brutal at times and the work is tedious, high-pressured and time sensitive. I am happy (for the most part) doing what I do - but I knew what I was getting into and this is what I wanted to do when I started this whole process.

You mention you like reading cases (which will be useful in law school) but I haven’t read a case in 5 years. I think I have a westlaw login from my firm but I never used it. As a corporate lawyer it’s just not part of what I do.

Outside of Biglaw type firms I don’t really know what firms pay. I assume it’s all over the place and will be hard to know going into law school what kind of salary you will be making coming out. Also - it can be pretty tough getting a job in one of these places as well since they tend to be so small.

Of course there are plenty of people making a nice living doing residential closings, immigration, real estate tax adjustments, etc. it’s definitely less streamlined than Biglaw and I assume one needs to “hustle“ a lot more at these kind of firms.
Firstly thanks for taking the time!

Right so big law based on the requirements (top school, hours etc) is completely off my radar. The question is if it's worth leaving an ok living to go to school for 3-4 years for a non big law, law job.

Reading cases - Ya lol I was simply referring to that I seem to enjoy reading through the law and seeing how it's applied etc. Not that it's what you do most of the time, just an overall interest I would think.

― Aristotle