Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 396674 times)

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Law School
« Reply #2260 on: July 23, 2020, 01:30:27 AM »
A lot of big law around here, where are my small law people?

For anyone who wants a different perspective, I graduated in 2012, and like almost all my friends who graduated in 11 and 12, I could not land a big law job because there simply weren't any.

Big law is not the only path. Many (though not all) of my friends who graduated then have good paying jobs outside of big law. Most of us did not start out that way. If you're ready to start with a low paying job, work hard at making yourself smart in one or more practice areas, and play the long game, this path can work for you. It's not what I expected but it's worked out.

The result for me is a great paying job that I love, excellent quality of life, a marketable skill set, far reaching contacts, and maybe most importantly my own book of business.

I'm not saying it's easy and it certainly comes with challenges but then so does big law.

If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline smb2270

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: July 23, 2020, 11:39:32 AM »
Do you mind providing a little more detail?
I understand the personality thing but why would they have an issue with dressing more formally? (Nice, Tailored Suit + White shirt) if anything wouldn't that give you some authority?
People who are more yeshivish can obviously dress formally, but will inevitably look, and much more importantly, act, differently.  If you're not worldy, going to LS in hopes of a BL job can be risky, especially in today's market.  Obviously, spectacualr grades will overcome all amounts of grease, but it pays to realize that the corporate world attracts its own.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: July 24, 2020, 01:45:02 AM »
Are the 0Ls thinking of deferring?  Obviously nobody can read future but if lots of ppl deferring, you can imagine that class being a students’ market if theres good hiring demand but fewer top students

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: July 24, 2020, 05:00:42 AM »
Are the 0Ls thinking of deferring?  Obviously nobody can read future but if lots of ppl deferring, you can imagine that class being a students’ market if theres good hiring demand but fewer top students
what? That's the only reason we keep you around

Offline the great

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: July 27, 2020, 01:07:17 PM »
Any recommendations on anyone helping with the full school application process like resume and ps?

Offline gubevo18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: July 27, 2020, 01:36:48 PM »
Any recommendations on anyone helping with the full school application process like resume and ps?
Honestly, IMO most of these services are unnecessary unless you have specific circumstances that look bad on your resume, C & F issues, bad grades/withdrawals or the like.

Can save yourself a boatload of money by doing it yourself and asking the advice of a few ppl you know. Will def be more work though so that's your call.

Offline Sowhat

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: July 27, 2020, 06:30:53 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.
So it seems the general consensus here is that to start, you definitely have to expect long work weeks. I’m ok with this for a number of years. I don’t have a problem working hard for a few years, I just don’t want to go down a path that entails 10+ hours a day, 6 days a week, plus commute, for the next 30 odd years. That is too much. A few years of it is certainly fine.
What I’m trying to get a good sense of is, what is the likelihood of getting these internal legal jobs, or other job that has more reasonable hours.
Is it a bad idea to go down this path if I don’t want to do big law long term.

Lots of people believed this.  But, once you start, it is very hard to take the big drop in income even if its accompanied with better hours.  Ask Big Firm senior associates/Counsel.

Offline smb2270

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: July 29, 2020, 10:58:35 AM »
I'm more than happy to take a look. 

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #2268 on: December 06, 2020, 05:48:21 PM »
Yes, that was what I was attempting to convey. Where is this giant herd of people going to law school?
It's the proportion of people going to school in relation to the jobs available.

Every school pushes you to more of the same: higher and higher education. At some point, you want to get off the train, and get a career.

If law school is right for you, go get'em.

Offline Dvdmoney1

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: January 25, 2021, 10:32:26 AM »
I am a second year law student at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on good places to apply for legal internships this summer. Does anyone know of any good intern positions that are opening up?

Offline kangarruu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: January 25, 2021, 04:28:09 PM »
I am a second year law student at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on good places to apply for legal internships this summer. Does anyone know of any good intern positions that are opening up?

Many NYC agencies are still running their internship programs and it's great experience if you're interested in public service. It's a little early for summer internships, but feel free to PM me closer to the summer.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: October 19, 2022, 05:05:33 PM »
@SAS please be advised that your PM box is full!
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2272 on: October 31, 2022, 03:32:26 PM »
I love Fisch for what it's worth. Highly recommended if you are serious about putting in the time. And time doesn't mean 2 1/2 hours 3 times a week for classes. It means the other 8 hours a day in between classes. The LSAT can be mastered, just a matter of learning it IMO.
does Fisch still do a good course? when i took lsat 20 yrs ago i used a book from kaplan LSAT 180 plus did lots of example tests, is there a similar updated book people use/recommend for top grades (170 or more)? seems that lsat 180 is no longer around (https://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-LSAT-180/dp/0743224353)

Offline whacked1

• View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: November 08, 2022, 05:48:20 PM »
I have a friend that is a recent law grad (fordham) and just passed the bar looking for a job. If anyone has any leads can you please pm and i'll pass along to him

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2274 on: November 08, 2022, 05:49:58 PM »
does Fisch still do a good course? when i took lsat 20 yrs ago i used a book from kaplan LSAT 180 plus did lots of example tests, is there a similar updated book people use/recommend for top grades (170 or more)? seems that lsat 180 is no longer around (https://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-LSAT-180/dp/0743224353)
Fisch is king. Period.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline joeberg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: November 08, 2022, 11:38:30 PM »
I have a friend that is a recent law grad (fordham) and just passed the bar looking for a job. If anyone has any leads can you please pm and i'll pass along to him
Location?

Offline whacked1

• View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: November 08, 2022, 11:43:29 PM »

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: November 09, 2022, 11:53:56 AM »
Fisch is king. Period.
Agreed. I took his course a bunch of years back. But tbh his real value add is that he keeps you regimented. If you can do that on your own without a drill sergeant (i.e. Fisch) then you don't need him. That being said, I think most people cannot do it on their own (myself included) so I think Fisch is worth it.

In general people fail to realize that a 2-4 point difference on your LSAT can be worth lots of $$$ down the road. Actual return is not quantifiable but very likely worth $2500 or wtvr he charges these days.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #2278 on: November 09, 2022, 12:50:57 PM »
Agreed. I took his course a bunch of years back. But tbh his real value add is that he keeps you regimented. If you can do that on your own without a drill sergeant (i.e. Fisch) then you don't need him. That being said, I think most people cannot do it on their own (myself included) so I think Fisch is worth it.

In general people fail to realize that a 2-4 point difference on your LSAT can be worth lots of $$$ down the road. Actual return is not quantifiable but very likely worth $2500 or wtvr he charges these days.
I always thought friends who used Kaplan did worse than they should have, as the class works to the median/average testtakers (160s at top end). do fisch students regularly hit 170+?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2279 on: November 09, 2022, 01:18:02 PM »
Do fisch students regularly hit 170+?
Search this thread, I probably posted it before.

IIRC, 1/3 of Fisch students scored in the 170's when I was taking the test.

That number is mind blowing... I know.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)