Topic Wiki

Law school exams for yeshiva guys 101, by henche
1. Read the story. 
2. Write down all the taynas that anyone might have, and what taynas the other guy might have back, and what the halacha probably is. 
3. Hit "submit"
4. Get a job.
5. Never see your family again!!!!!!!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/success-in-law-school.html
« Last edited by jj1000 on September 15, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Author Topic: Law School  (Read 406166 times)

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Moving for Law School?
« Reply #320 on: April 21, 2015, 03:02:41 PM »
Slightly OT - I didn't shave this chol hamoed and got two comments from non-yarmulka wearing attorneys at my firm. Not negative comments, but I plan on speaking to my rov regarding next chol hamoed. Biglaw.

Offline Freddie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 21, 2015, 03:07:09 PM »
Slightly OT - I didn't shave this chol hamoed and got two comments from non-yarmulka wearing attorneys at my firm. Not negative comments, but I plan on speaking to my rov regarding next chol hamoed. Biglaw.
That means non-yarmulka wearing frum Jewish attorneys, yes?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #322 on: April 21, 2015, 03:09:22 PM »
Your asking if you shouldn't shave at all? It is the obvious solution, you wouldn't get any comments next chol hamoed...

HT: Freddie ;)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 21, 2015, 03:14:03 PM »
i think lawyers are the one of the last professions in america that it is very common for frum jews to not wear yarmulkes

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 21, 2015, 03:18:35 PM »
The market has bounced back compared to how it was in '08 and '09. But to say that "it's not difficult to find a decent job without decent grades" is super inaccurate. I know people at T-14 schools with middle of the pack grades who don't have jobs. As for networking, a good connection can get you a callback, but to actually get an offer, you gotta do it mostly on your own.

Maybe your market is over-saturated.  As I mentioned earlier, I went to MD (which was in the 30s or 40s at the time), and 99% of my class was employed within 6 months.  I know my entire friend-circle of ~30 was, and we didn't have phenomenal grades.  Personality is a huge draw as well.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #325 on: April 21, 2015, 03:21:47 PM »
The market has bounced back compared to how it was in '08 and '09. But to say that "it's not difficult to find a decent job with decent grades" is super inaccurate. I know people at T-14 schools with middle of the pack grades who don't have jobs. As for networking, a good connection can get you a callback, but to actually get an offer, you gotta do it mostly on your own.
+ 180

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've read.  Why are you only focusing on biglaw?  The market has bounced back over the past few years and it's not difficult to find a decent job with decent grades and a good personality.  Networking is almost as important as grades.
Biglaw is where you make enough money to pay back a $150k/200k nut (with interest). I'm sure there are some people who have their parents pay for school, and some people who become personal injury lawyers who get a big case and settle for a big sum, but in general if you are below biglaw you are making about 70-90k max out of law school (with plenty stuck at the same $40k annual they could have gotten as an accountant), which after taxes and if you have kids etc is a rough burden. As i said, if you have a scholarship or are rich anyway, your considerations may be different.

Maybe your market is over-saturated.  As I mentioned earlier, I went to MD (which was in the 30s or 40s at the time), and 99% of my class was employed within 6 months.  I know my entire friend-circle of ~30 was, and we didn't have phenomenal grades.  Personality is a huge draw as well.
NY is oversaturated, and that is where the OP was originally considering. just to pry, what was your total debt after u graduated, and what was your incoming annual salary?

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 21, 2015, 03:31:58 PM »

When did you graduate? And anyone that has gone to law school knows that "99% employed" is an extremely misleading statement. Some law schools include non-law jobs in that stat, and all schools include low-level clerkships and law jobs that pay 50k (and almost none of us went to law school with the intention of working at these types of jobs) in that stat. 

Offline mb1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 21, 2015, 03:39:09 PM »
Maybe it's time to merge this with the other law school thread.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 21, 2015, 03:42:57 PM »
I can't see how removing your Yarmulkah is part of required hishtadlus...
The logic is simple - assuming it will increase your likelihood of earning money - which is objectively true in a place like Saudi Arabia, it becomes required hishtadlus unless considered assur/inappropriate.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 21, 2015, 03:44:47 PM »
PlatinumGuy, u are the man.
Thanks, big compliment coming from you
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 21, 2015, 03:52:10 PM »
I didn't shave this chol hamoed. I worked the first 2 days from home, and the last 2 days from the firm's offices in a different city.

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 21, 2015, 04:10:58 PM »
NY is oversaturated, and that is where the OP was originally considering. just to pry, what was your total debt after u graduated, and what was your incoming annual salary?

I was fortunate to have no debt (parents, not scholarship). But my tuition was under 100k anyway (state school).  And suffice it to say, I did very well my first year out (graduated in 2012), but I got very lucky and I acknowledge it's not the norm. IMO, working during school to actually learn the legal profession is one of the most important things a law student can do.

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #332 on: April 21, 2015, 04:12:04 PM »
I don't think you see the irony in your post.
You're thinking correctly because I indeed don't.

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 21, 2015, 04:12:15 PM »
When did you graduate? And anyone that has gone to law school knows that "99% employed" is an extremely misleading statement. Some law schools include non-law jobs in that stat, and all schools include low-level clerkships and law jobs that pay 50k (and almost none of us went to law school with the intention of working at these types of jobs) in that stat.

That's why I qualified my statement with the experience of my friends. All gainfully employed with full time legal jobs. However, there are only two schools in the state so a much better market.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #334 on: April 21, 2015, 05:11:59 PM »
I was fortunate to have no debt (parents, not scholarship). But my tuition was under 100k anyway (state school).  And suffice it to say, I did very well my first year out (graduated in 2012), but I got very lucky and I acknowledge it's not the norm. IMO, working during school to actually learn the legal profession is one of the most important things a law student can do.
Thx for your honesty. you are very lucky (as was i BH and some other people I know). but there are plenty of people i know (jewish and not-jewish) who will always regret going to law school. so i waste my time to always try to make people (especially those considering going to a non-top-tier school in NY) think twice.

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 21, 2015, 05:41:38 PM »
Thx for your honesty. you are very lucky (as was i BH and some other people I know). but there are plenty of people i know (jewish and not-jewish) who will always regret going to law school. so i waste my time to always try to make people (especially those considering going to a non-top-tier school in NY) think twice.

And that is fine.  I would advise someone against going to law school as well if they aspire solely to being a big firm attorney and can't get into a top school.  However, a law degree is one of the most universal masters out there, and I benefited tremendously from the experience, and I think others can too.  As long as they don't feel they need to be the next Harvey Specter.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 21, 2015, 06:40:01 PM »
ha, actually had an awesome childhood BH :)
and i happen to always wear my yarmulke,
Shifra, you wear a yarlmuka???
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 21, 2015, 06:41:51 PM »
It's indoors, they feel it's necessary for parnassah (definitely can't make a brachah/eat or drink though). IIRC there's a tshuva from Rav Moshe about it.
I saw an alarming number of people not wearing yarlmukas all day on interview days, eating, drinking, and I assume making brachos. Always wondered if they had a psak or just didn't care either way.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 21, 2015, 07:27:48 PM »
And that is fine.  I would advise someone against going to law school as well if they aspire solely to being a big firm attorney and can't get into a top school.  However, a law degree is one of the most universal masters out there, and I benefited tremendously from the experience, and I think others can too.  As long as they don't feel they need to be the next Harvey Specter.
harvey spector isn't real. I'm the first, not the next

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 21, 2015, 07:55:30 PM »
Masters? It's a doctorate. Don't insult our profession.